Help!!!! Watch

Nafisa99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have a mock exam tomorrow for history and I was worrying how many paragraphs should I aim to write for a 25 & 12 marker source question. Futhermore, can you give some quick tips on what I could do to get full marks in the mock. By the way my exam board is AQA. Thanks in advance.
kilithedwarf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is this GCSE? Oh well what Im going to say works for any level
If I recall correctly, you should be aiming for around a page and 1/2 - 2 pages of average sized handwriting.
The reason I havent given you an exact paragraph number is because it depends on the amount of ideas you want to put across, and your structure. But it will probably boil down to be a for and against (or similar question)

For example. The question might be something along the lines of
"Divides between monarchy and country during the tudor and stuart era were due to religious conflict" discuss this statement"

Then you would answer it in this sort of structure-
(My explanation will be in red surrounded by brackets, my mock answer in blue)
Note: Obvious, but i MUST point out, you dont put the HEADINGS I've written they're just for you
Introduction
During the Tudor and Stuart eras, religion played a key role in creating conflict between the monarchy and the country. (Here I am using the words from the question), However (Starting the argument up here in the essay)there were many other reasons that caused conflict during these times. (It's short, it's sweet it goes right to the point)

FOR
(Here is were you'd put forward the arguments that agree with this statement)
Conflicts caused by the religious debate were common practice during the Tudor and Stuart Eras. The introduction of King Henry VIII's church of England in the 1530s (Markers love the dates if you can get them in, don't worry if you can't though. A wrong date is worse than no date) caused some unrest within England....

Furthermore (List them) , during the end of Charles II's reign, he switched religions from protestant to Catholic...

AGAINST
However (Everyone loves a good argument) it wasn't just religion that caused conflict between Monarchy and country during the Tudor and Stuart eras (Reiterate the question, helps you and the examiner), for example, when James the first of England, also known as James the VI of Scotland, came to the throne in the 1600s, the people of England where hostile to the fact that he was not an English king.

Also, (Markers love a good list) ......

Conclusion
(Wrap it up good and proper) In conclusion, the statement that Divides between monarchy and country during the tudor and stuart era were due to religious conflict (A literal copy and paste job of the question, here) is true to a certain extent (I think i've written "to an extent" on arounf 80% of my papers) because of such issues as A, B AND C (actually list exmples her that you have mentioned) however, there were other reasons for divides and civil undrest such as ABC (again real examples here. TIP neverEVEREVER introduce a new idea in the conclusion). These issues mixed together contributed divides between Monarchy and country in ENgland (Nice to the point ending, pretend you are going to write *Drops mic*)

Pro-tip though, keep your argument as balanced as possible. Aim for 3 points each. But if there's genuinely only one point in the for or against box, then make sure that has effected your conclusion. Don't say 4 points for the for section, 1 point for the against and give a 50/50 conclusion, that's confusing as anything and looks pants. Be a decisive as possible. And always avoid saying stuff like "I think"...

I hope that's answered your question, as you can't say how many paragraphs, as it's entirely entirely dependant on the question and your stance on the issue. But defiantly structure your answer like this and you're golden.:yeah:

Kilithedwarf

Source: History Grad. :chaplin:
Disclaimer- Don't quote me on those history facts, they're for illustration purposes only, so they might not be 100% correct.
Nafisa99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kilithedwarf)
Is this GCSE? Oh well what Im going to say works for any level
If I recall correctly, you should be aiming for around a page and 1/2 - 2 pages of average sized handwriting.
The reason I havent given you an exact paragraph number is because it depends on the amount of ideas you want to put across, and your structure. But it will probably boil down to be a for and against (or similar question)

For example. The question might be something along the lines of
"Divides between monarchy and country during the tudor and stuart era were due to religious conflict" discuss this statement"

Then you would answer it in this sort of structure-
(My explanation will be in red surrounded by brackets, my mock answer in blue)
Note: Obvious, but i MUST point out, you dont put the HEADINGS I've written they're just for you
Introduction
During the Tudor and Stuart eras, religion played a key role in creating conflict between the monarchy and the country. (Here I am using the words from the question), However(Starting the argument up here in the essay)there were many other reasons that caused conflict during these times.(It's short, it's sweet it goes right to the point)

FOR
(Here is were you'd put forward the arguments that agree with this statement)
Conflicts caused by the religious debate were common practice during the Tudor and Stuart Eras. The introduction of King Henry VIII's church of England in the 1530s (Markers love the dates if you can get them in, don't worry if you can't though. A wrong date is worse than no date)caused some unrest within England....

Furthermore(List them) , during the end of Charles II's reign, he switched religions from protestant to Catholic...

AGAINST
However(Everyone loves a good argument)it wasn't just religion that caused conflict between Monarchy and country during the Tudor and Stuart eras(Reiterate the question, helps you and the examiner), for example, when James the first of England, also known as James the VI of Scotland, came to the throne in the 1600s, the people of England where hostile to the fact that he was not an English king.

Also,(Markers love a good list) ......

Conclusion
(Wrap it up good and proper)In conclusion, the statement that Divides between monarchy and country during the tudor and stuart era were due to religious conflict(A literal copy and paste job of the question, here)is true to a certain extent(I think i've written "to an extent" on arounf 80% of my papers)because of such issues as A, B AND C (actually list exmples her that you have mentioned)however, there were other reasons for divides and civil undrest such as ABC(again real examples here. TIP neverEVEREVER introduce a new idea in the conclusion).These issues mixed together contributed divides between Monarchy and country in ENgland(Nice to the point ending, pretend you are going to write *Drops mic*)

Pro-tip though, keep your argument as balanced as possible. Aim for 3 points each. But if there's genuinely only one point in the for or against box, then make sure that has effected your conclusion. Don't say 4 points for the for section, 1 point for the against and give a 50/50 conclusion, that's confusing as anything and looks pants. Be a decisive as possible. And always avoid saying stuff like "I think"...

I hope that's answered your question, as you can't say how many paragraphs, as it's entirely entirely dependant on the question and your stance on the issue. But defiantly structure your answer like this and you're golden.:yeah:

Kilithedwarf

Source: History Grad. :chaplin:
Disclaimer- Don't quote me on those history facts, they're for illustration purposes only, so they might not be 100% correct.
. Ahhhh thank you have saved a life. (I'm doing A levels)
kilithedwarf93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa99)
. Ahhhh thank you have saved a life. (I'm doing A levels)
Hey it's me. Same person, slightly different account (Problems with email addresses and passwords meant making a new account was easier than going through heap loads of stuff. And yes I am up at ten to 6 in the morning. I have the sleep pattern of a horse fly)

A-level?
Yeah that's fine too. Works the same way, just keep your answers more detailed than in GCSE. Best of luck with it. Remember. Be clear. Concise. And plan a shed load before you answer. I liked to write a to and for table and go from there. But whatever floats your boat in that respect. Let me know how it goes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.05%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (303)
36.95%
No, I am unable to (203)
24.76%
No, I chose not to (225)
27.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise