The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Hello! I am going to sixth form next year but I am not sure what a-levels to take. I want to study law in uni and I definitely will take english literature, history and German a-level, but I don't know whether to take French or Government&Politics as a 4th a-level. I studied French for a long time same as German but I would like to study Politics as I find it really interesting. I am not sure what to do. I also will do Russian a-level as I have learnt it for many years, so I will have an extra a-level, but I am not sure if it will be ok to do 3 languages and 2 other subjects at a-level if I don't want to study modern foreign languages at uni.
Hiya! I may not be much help but I'm in a similar-ish boat as you (choosing A-Levels in the hopes of doing Law at uni). From what I've read, uni don't seem to be too bothered about what subjects you take if you want to study law (with the preference of an essay subject). I'd actually say that languages could be helpful for showing a wide range of skills and then actually practising law later on. However, I'm also considering Government and Politics as an A-Level (like you I find it interesting) and I guess it might be slightly more relevant to a law course? Some unis don't seem to be overly keen on it (well it's not on their desired subjects lists)... That was probably no help (sorry). Good luck with your options!
Original post by Vitalia
Hello! I am going to sixth form next year but I am not sure what a-levels to take. I want to study law in uni and I definitely will take english literature, history and German a-level, but I don't know whether to take French or Government&Politics as a 4th a-level. I studied French for a long time same as German but I would like to study Politics as I find it really interesting. I am not sure what to do. I also will do Russian a-level as I have learnt it for many years, so I will have an extra a-level, but I am not sure if it will be ok to do 3 languages and 2 other subjects at a-level if I don't want to study modern foreign languages at uni.

Your choices are excellent so honestly, I'd really recommend that you pick whichever you would enjoy more! It's so important to pick subjects you enjoy because you'll be much more motivated and therefore you're more likely to get a good grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you.
Good luck with your options too:smile:]
Reply 4
]Your choices are excellent so honestly, I'd really recommend that you pick whichever you would enjoy more! It's so important to pick subjects you enjoy because you'll be much more motivated and therefore you're more likely to get a good grade :smile:

Thank you for your advice.:smile:
I've taken pretty similar subjects: English Lit, Politics, French and Geography. I personally think that if you are definitely taking German and Russian there is no need to take French; universities will already value you more than other candidates with the two languages. If you have an interest in politics I'd say go for it, but at the end of the day it's down to you and what you enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest