The Student Room Group

Is C4 a lot harder than C3?

Obviously with practice, you'll start to find them easier but is C4 a lot harder to get the hang of?

I thought C3 was impossible but I find it really nice now.

Scroll to see replies

the real hurdle is C3... once you have done that it is plain sailing to C4 :h:
Original post by Dinaa
Obviously with practice, you'll start to find them easier but is C4 a lot harder to get the hang of?

definitely a step up, but, just like C3, you can get to grips with it if you put in the work

good luck :h:
For Edexcel, I found C3 to be easier than C2 (slightly biased as I am now a Maths student at uni) and C4 was.. significantly more difficult than C3, but nowhere near impossible to do. It's just the integration and vectors that requires a lot of practice, then you should be golden.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
the real hurdle is C3... once you have done that it is plain sailing to C4 :h:

How you finding c3 now that it's complete?
Original post by SeanFM
It's just the integration and vectors that requires a lot of practice, then you should be golden.

I was on MEI and got 100 on C4 but vectors still give me nightmares to this day (and i did physics AS lol) :afraid:
I'm finding it the same difficulty as C3 tbh
Original post by raman_17
How you finding c3 now that it's complete?

it's good to know about functions :yep:
Reply 8
Original post by Dinaa

definitely in my opinion in all boards

(by the way I liked the new selfie avatar/this one for some reason disturbs me)
Personally I found C4 pretty straightforward once I clicked with C3 (I think the real leap in difficulty is C2\rightarrowC3 rather than C3\rightarrowC4) but I know people who have really struggled with the calculus in C4.
Original post by Dinaa

You'll find:

Partial Fractions
Binomial Expansion
Integration

Quite easy. Been getting >95% in past papers for C4 consistently.
it's good to know about functions :yep:

That right there was a real true point! Doing past papers and really am struggling with domains and range - it takes the piss. You got any tips?
Original post by Reza Pahlavi
I was on MEI and got 100 on C4 but vectors still give me nightmares to this day (and i did physics AS lol) :afraid:

Yes, vectors are a nightmare, Mr Clegg. And I imagine that MEI was much more difficult than Edexcel for... well, every module. :hide:
Original post by raman_17
That right there was a real true point! Doing past papers and really am struggling with domains and range - it takes the piss. You got any tips?

get a decent graphical calculator and know how to use it.
Original post by Dinaa

I know c4 is quite hard and blows up with a good amount of impact, but I've never heard of c3
Original post by Dinaa

C3 is straight forward providing you get to grips with trigonometry.

C4 is straightforward except for Integration & Vectors which take up some time to master.
Expect to be using up a lot more paper for worked solutions on integration and sketch
diagrams for Vectors as it helps significantly.

Overall be patient, consistent at past papers and eventually the grades will come through. :smile:

Tip: Start early.
Original post by TeeEm
definitely in my opinion in all boards

(by the way I liked the new selfie avatar/this one for some reason disturbs me)

so many wrong avatars here :mob:
i did edexcel in summer 2014 and i found c4 the hardest, but found c3 really easy
get a decent graphical calculator and know how to use it.

I've got the fx-99IES PLUS. Is that good enough?
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, vectors are a nightmare, Reza. And I imagine that MEI was much more difficult than Edexcel for... well, every module. :hide:

I looked at some Edexcel papers when I was doing my A levels and ngl they seemed quite easy in comparison :tongue:

Some say the grade boundaries tend to be higher for Edexcel which offsets it, but I disagree: fewer schools in general do MEI, and those that do tend to be better, thus a higher concentration of good students do MEI which means the MEI boundaries are higher too as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest