The Student Room Group

Are Controlled Assessments Really testing you?

Thinking back to my English CA's, they really did test my English skills: punctuation, spelling, high-level vocab, analysis, it tested what I had learnt. The people good at English did well in the CA's

But then you reach Science. Maybe its just my school but we were made aware of the question about a month before the test, had a class practice of the experiment and all. The people who remembered more did best and it didn't take any Science skill to do. Many of you will forget anything about the CA or any words/ things learnt nearly as soon as its over.

Basically, what I'm asking is: Are these Controlled Assessments really testing your lesson's skills and techniques, or just your memorization skills?
Ultimately, no. You could say the education system as a whole tests your memorisation, nobody cares about the skills and techniques - it's about memorising a whole textbook which fits the exam criteria, so that you get good grades and thus enabled to go onto uni. End of.

All of my controlled assessments I have forgotten and it's only a year later. For my French GCSE I had to learn 6 pages off by heart, it didn't matter what skills you learnt because everyone used google translate so they could get the best grade.
Reply 2
Not at all !
Half the class cheats and the other half just memorises it !
But it boosts my grade up 😀
the only thing really testing me is life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending