The Student Room Group

why are some forms of interracial relationships still not accepted in todays society?

whats your views and opinions on different forms of interracial relationships and are they widely accepted where you live?

Scroll to see replies

Ignorance
Because people are still racist
Original post by Justmoll28
whats your views and opinions on different forms of interracial relationships and are they widely accepted where you live?

I live in London and everyone I know is fine with every combination.
Doesn't mean they don't talk about it, just as they do about everything else.
It's interesting.

But, frankly, people like what they like.
Whatever goes is fine and entirely up to those in the deal :smile:
Because there are people who like to be offended by anything considered "abnormal" (despite it being anything but) and well... ignorance as the first comment said.

Not given it a second thought personally. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by San pellegrino
Ignorance

can you elaborate?
Reply 6
Original post by NoPunInThisName
Because there are people who like to be offended by anything considered "abnormal" (despite it being anything but) and well... ignorance as the first comment said.

Not given it a second thought personally. :biggrin:

and given it a second thought, what do you personally think?
Reply 7

Because, unfortunately our country is still racist.
I live in London so you see it all the time, and no one considers it taboo... apart from the odd tit here and there, you can't really argue with stupid. Personally I think its lovely to see :smile:
and given it a second thought, what do you personally think?

In what sense? :smile:
Ignorance/religious and/or cultural prejudice to blame.
Personally, would not give one single .... what people thought. Can say what they want but it wouldn't change how i'd act. If they were less tacit in their dissaproval (racism) then i'd confront them about it publicly....
Not in my culture, which I think goes against what my people call themselves as religious, then surely Islam allows people to mix.

what forms of interracial relationships are still not accepted?
We still haven't evolved out of religious trappings yet. A few of them don't forbid interracial relationships per se just inter-faith but that more often than not ends up as exactly the same thing.

Original post by scirae
Because, unfortunately our country is still racist.

Errr, UK is one of the LEAST racist in the world. Unless you're prescribing to the ridiculous notion that only white people can be racist, in which case sure why not.
Reply 13
I would say more oppression towards interracial relationships comes from an individual's family themselves, rather than wider society. No one gives a hoot overall.
can you elaborate?

Racism innit,what else could it be?
Original post by Foo.mp3
The irony is that all who would say 'ignorance'/'racism' (and nothing else) are themselves being decidedly narrow minded/ignorant :mmm:

Spoiler

There no tribalism in the UK. My girl is a different skin colour/race to me,how does that and why should it affect strangers. Covert racism
Original post by Foo.mp3
There exists a degree of tribalism e.g. prejudices relating to 'the politics of identity', in each and every human being on this planet. Irrefutable fact

There are many ways in which it may affect strangers but as I say, many boil down to fear and tribalism e.g. 'potential threat' + 'not one of us'

Some of it, yes, some of it xenophobia,* some of it other stuff. Personally I don't really bat an eyelid, it's usually none of my business, but in certain cases there may be cause for concern

I don't know about that. At the end of the day I can choose to date any women from any background and it shouldn't have to affect anyone. Some people don't like to date outside their race that's fine but I like variety. Certain cases? Nothing should affect you
Just like sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc. Racism is just another obstacle to overcome through education :h:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Well, as a learned social scientist I can assure you that I do

You can, and in a perfect world it wouldn't affect anyone

Me too

Yup

Again, in an ideal world it would not

Are you talking from experience or theory?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Both

Where are you from and your partner ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending