Funky_Giraffe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I just had a quick question about convention really with drawing out optical isomers.

This is my working for a question which asked for the optical isomers of 1,2-dichloropropane. It first asked me for the fully displayed formula which starts my working, then the two optical isomers. This is my answer:

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

My concern is that the answer in the mark scheme is slightly differently laid out. Is my answer still correct? Is there a convention I should be following?
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Funky_Giraffe)
Hi, I just had a quick question about convention really with drawing out optical isomers.

This is my working for a question which asked for the optical isomers of 1,2-dichloropropane. It first asked me for the fully displayed formula which starts my working, then the two optical isomers. This is my answer:

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

My concern is that the answer in the mark scheme is slightly differently laid out. Is my answer still correct? Is there a convention I should be following?
No, your answer is fine. As long as it is correct, it doesn't have to be laid out in exactly the same orientation
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Funky_Giraffe)

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

The layout is fine, the only issue is that on your right molecule you've written CH2Cl-C which sort of implies the chiral carbon has bonded to Cl rather than C. Write ClH2C-C instead.
Funky_Giraffe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Laurasaur)
No, your answer is fine. As long as it is correct, it doesn't have to be laid out in exactly the same orientation
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The layout is fine, the only issue is that on your right molecule you've written CH2Cl-C which sort of implies the chiral carbon has bonded to Cl rather than C. Write ClH2C-C instead.

Yes! Plagioclase figured that after I posted but thanks for flagging it up again. Many thanks to you both for your help
Ben :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your answer is perfectly fine - I would just say to make sure you always get the marks is to make sure you always draw the bonds to the right atoms, On the second one you've made it look like the chiral carbon is bonded directly to the Cl in CH2Cl, Some mark schemes allow it and some don't so I would just be sure and have it so the C is bonded to the chiral carbon!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (692)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.65%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads