Millicent97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have offers from both Universities to study Geography Bsci, but i am having great trouble deciding which to go for. Need some help!! obviously Exeter is a Russel group but I have heardSussex is better for general enjoyment. Does anyone have any pointers that may aid my decision. Also do both offer rowing?
rhi_el
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Millicent97)
I have offers from both Universities to study Geography Bsci, but i am having great trouble deciding which to go for. Need some help!! obviously Exeter is a Russel group but I have heardSussex is better for general enjoyment. Does anyone have any pointers that may aid my decision. Also do both offer rowing?
Exeter is 9th in the league tables for your course and Sussex is 31st: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...mental+Science

I am pretty sure that both offer rowing. I have a lot of friends at Exeter and they're all absolutely loving it. Then again, it has to be your decision. Your employment prospects would likely be stronger from Exeter but it depends on where you believe you would thrive!
sw651
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With the new anonymity laws coming in about where a degree comes from, go for whichever makes you happy, Exeter has the better rep, but Sussex may not be as strenuous. You will have more time for sport at Sussex and more social (IMO)
august1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Guardian league table for this year placed Sussex 8th for Geography and Exeter 14th. Whilst Exeter has a higher entry tariff, Sussex is deemed to have smaller class sizes, higher spend per student and slightly higher employment rates.
http://www.theguardian.com/education...mental-studies

I'm not a Geography student myself, so can't comment on which university is generally considered more prestigious for Geography in the wider world but it doesn't seem like there's too much in it.

I am at Sussex studying something else and I, personally, really enjoy it. I have found my course to be very rigorous and stimulating and and the campus has a very friendly, lively and fun atmosphere. Brighton is also a great city in which to be a student.

I have no idea if we have a rowing society though...
ryathelionator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't advise relying too heavily on league tables, especially the Guardian as it mainly measures student satisfaction and not much else. Student satisfaction is very important but in my opinion, so are graduate prospects, research quality, average entry tarrif, etc. Don't go to a uni you don't like just because it's good in a league table, however if you've been to both unis and you like them both the same, probably go to Exeter simply because it's a Russell group and seems to be slightly higher ranked for your course, and is also more likely to have better links with company (however Sussex is still a very highly regarded University). There's seriously not much in it really; how you feel at the uni is far more important than these yearly varying statistics so focus on where you'd rather be. After you've got your first job, the skills you can demonstrate to future employers is far more important than the uni you went to (at least for the majority of jobs), and this will matter less and less throughout your career as time goes by.

Make sure you've been to both unis and you've researched the course well; I would strongly advise going to applicant/visit days if you get invited to them. Good luck - I hope you find the right one for you!
toniator23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
With the new anonymity laws coming in about where a degree comes from, go for whichever makes you happy, Exeter has the better rep, but Sussex may not be as strenuous. You will have more time for sport at Sussex and more social (IMO)
I know this reply is almost 2 years later but is there actually new anonymity laws about where degrees come from i couldnt find anything online. Maybe it was just being considered?
Jameskhan12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I need comparison about two cities. I m a phd student holding offer in both universities. I need to know about the lifestyle, culture, racism etc.
Last edited by Jameskhan12; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (46)
17.36%
No one else does (83)
31.32%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.57%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (90)
33.96%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.89%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.26%

Watched Threads