Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I am new here~

My roommate graduated from the University of Dundee. I am not familiar with the university at all, other than the fact that it's in Scotland? Could any of you give me a little insight as to the academic reputation of the school in UK?

Thanks a lot~

oh! btw, I am from USA.

ReputationRep:
    My sister goes there and she like it enough. It just depends what you are looking for in a university. Im terms of reputation it depends on what course your doing.In scotland it isnt an excellent university or a bad one its somewhere inbetween that.
    Do you want to go to a scottish uni particularly?

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to dundee in september and it has got a pretty good reputation. there's a lot of money going into the uni at the moment and the bio-chem department currently has 2 nobel prize winners.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    My sister goes there and she like it enough. It just depends what you are looking for in a university. Im terms of reputation it depends on what course your doing.In scotland it isnt an excellent university or a bad one its somewhere inbetween that.
    Do you want to go to a scottish uni particularly?
    Thanks a lot, I am in graduate school now. My roommate went to Dundee, so I was naturally curious about the university as he repeatedly telling me about scotland and dundee. Just want another opnion that's all and it's always good to learn about other school from across the sea I guess.

oh! I have 2 bachelors degree, one from Michigan State U - East Lansing and the other from Ohio State U - Columbus. Both are of Big Ten school of Midwest America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i'm going to dundee in september and it has got a pretty good reputation. there's a lot of money going into the uni at the moment and the bio-chem department currently has 2 nobel prize winners.

lou xxx
    wow, didn't know that! Cool..

The 2 nobel prize winners that you mention, are they alumni of the university or current Prof./Staff? And when did they win the Nobel Prize and in what category? Thanks!

P.s. You guys are more than welcome to ask me about any school in the USA, allright? That is .. if you are interested ^________^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidd)
    wow, didn't know that! Cool..

The 2 nobel prize winners that you mention, are they alumni of the university or current Prof./Staff? And when did they win the Nobel Prize and in what category? Thanks!

P.s. You guys are more than welcome to ask me about any school in the USA, allright? That is .. if you are interested ^________^
    they're staff. i don't really know anything about either of them (because they're not involved with my subjects) just that they'r sciency... i'll look it up

edit: eeek i can't be arsed, but anyway thats what i got told by one of the maths lecturers

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    From Dundee's website, I read that the university seperated from St. Andrew's Univeristy in the 1970s?

Does any of you know what/why did it happen?

just curious... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's the matter of location. As Dundee is kinda far away to St Andrews, so it seems impossible to form a univ. with two campus seperately lied on two different places. Actually, if St Andrews and Dundee can merge once again, I think the new univ. will be able to compete with Edinburgh univ., which is the leading univ. in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John)
    .....Actually, if St Andrews and Dundee can merge once again.....
    This seems unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidd)
    Hi all! I am new here~

My roommate graduated from the University of Dundee. I am not familiar with the university at all, other than the fact that it's in Scotland? Could any of you give me a little insight as to the academic reputation of the school in UK?

Thanks a lot~

oh! btw, I am from USA.
    Its a respectable university, good reputation in biological sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidd)
    From Dundee's website, I read that the university seperated from St. Andrew's Univeristy in the 1970s?

Does any of you know what/why did it happen?

just curious... :confused:
    Dundee was a college of St.Andrews with a much more vocational set of courses than was available at the University - pretty much like Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne i think. Unsure why it happened, i think Dundee simply progressed to a point where they thought they should consider themselves a university in their own right.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee has a fantastic reputation in one or two fields and not much rep in others: it all depends which subject you are going to study!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who knows anything about Dundee knows it's got a fabulous reputation in Life Sciences - but it's also internationally known in other areas: Forensic Anthropology (unique in UK), Civil Engineering, Medicine, Energy Law and Policy, Fine Art, Education, History, Applied Computing. If you want to be taught by people at the leading edge of research in these subjects then go to Dundee.

Dundee was founded as an independent University College which later became part of St Andrews before disaggregating in 1967 - at which time it retained Law and clinical Medicine. The two universities (only 15 miles apart) still have strong cultural and personal links and have several joint projects and institutes.

Your roommate chose a decent institution which is highly thought of by those who know what they're talking about.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.