The Student Room Group

Realistically, how much can losing weight make me more physically attractive?

Well, I am 18 (male), 6''1 fresher at university. To be frank, I am on the unattractive side. I have asked others before and it's true unfortunately.

But it's not because of acne, unsymmetrical face, crooked teeth or any abnormal features, it's because I'm quite overweight. I am 205lbs and at 20% bodyfat. I have clear skin, symmetrical features and a head full of thick hair plus I've got height, but my face just stores so much damn fat. Especially in my cheeks; my cheeks and love-handles store so much :frown:

I mean, I can feel my jawline; I definitely have one, but it's covered in fat. My 1st cousins who are all low-bodyfat are all attractive and get 100s of likes on their FB pictures.

I'm down from 225lbs but my face hasn't lost much fat and it's a long way until I get to 10% bodyfat. It's weird because when I was skinny (pre-puberty, as a young child) my interaction with girls was better.

Can losing 2-3 more stone make me more attractive? And realistically how far can weight-loss go in making one more attractive?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a harsh world, but yes, fat is considered unattractive in today's society...

Though having a good form isn't the be-all-and-end-all, it is definitely what makes people initially attracted to you. It sucks, and it sounds harsh, but it's true :/
It can make a massive difference to your jawline and overall physique. I know when I'm lighter my face looks much more attractive.
I'm not saying you will definitely see a massive difference, but I do think it is quite likely.
Original post by SophieSmall
It can make a massive difference to your jawline and overall physique. I know when I'm lighter my face looks much more attractive.
I'm not saying you will definitely see a massive difference, but I do think it is quite likely.

I don't know if I will, I have about 30lbs to lose which will definitely make a difference in the face. I can definitely feel my jawline, it's sharp/angular so perhaps I can go up a few points in attractiveness?

Btw, I'm not like a 1/10 ugly, more of a 4/10 bordering 5/10, from what I've been told.
Original post by theperformer
I don't know if I will, I have about 30lbs to lose which will definitely make a difference in the face. I can definitely feel my jawline, it's sharp/angular so perhaps I can go up a few points in attractiveness?

Btw, I'm not like a 1/10 ugly, more of a 4/10 bordering 5/10, from what I've been told.

I'm sure you do and will look great :smile:
Cut down Bf , acquire bit , i mean girls.
[QUOTE=theperformer;61750553]I don't know if I will, I have about 30lbs to lose which will definitely make a difference in the face. I can definitely feel my jawline, it's sharp/angular so perhaps I can go up a few points in attractiveness?

I reckon it would make a fair difference. Uni gyms are cheap af. So use weights to help you build some muscle (initially at least) while cutting fat.
Ok, you're a fresher so drinking will screw you but you could lose at least a further stone or even a bit more by summer....

You'll never be 9/10 but very few are. I think you could get to 'average' or eventually a touch above.
It will make a difference... How big a difference? You'll have to find out mate
As soon as I saw the Facebook part I was like: oh for **** sake really? So what they get likes on Facebook, people with makeup that makes their skin look like the texture of moth scales get 100's of likes. Likes on Facebook is just vanity in appearance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Unistudent77
I reckon it would make a fair difference. Uni gyms are cheap af. So use weights to help you build some muscle (initially at least) while cutting fat.
Ok, you're a fresher so drinking will screw you but you could lose at least a further stone or even a bit more by summer....

You'll never be 9/10 but very few are. I think you could get to 'average' or eventually a touch above.
It will make a difference... How big a difference? You'll have to find out mate

I'm basically already hovering below average. From what I've been rated by others (on Reddit and Facebook), they said I am a 4.5/10 to 5/10.

I'm going to drastically cut back on drinking. I'd rather be good looking and going to a club than 20% body-fat at a club.

I'll lose weight but if I also consider minor plastic surgery, can this bump me to a 7 or 8 out of 10?
(edited 8 years ago)
That's interesting. At his heaviest, my boyfriend was 233 lbs at 6"1. He is currently about 190 now and I haven't noticed much of a difference aside from the fact that his stomach's got smaller. His face got a bit smaller too, but his overall look didn't change that much. I think he's well attractive either way.

Everything is soo individual. For some people a 40 lbs weight loss is the difference between being ugly and movie star handsome; for others it isn't as clear-cut. I do, however, think that if you are at a lower weight, you do tend to gain self-confidence, and that is ultimately what makes you more attractive.
[QUOTE=theperformer;61750829]I'm basically already hovering below average. From what I've been rated by others (on Reddit and Facebook), they said I am a 4.5/10 to 5/10.

I'm going to drastically cut back on drinking. I'd rather be good looking and going to a club than 20% body-fat at a club.

I'll lose weight but if I also consider plastic surgery, can this bump me to an 8/10?

How old are you?

Average being 5.... So you are hardly way below average. Minus 30lbs, you'd be 5.5/6.
That's what i would be if i hadn't started hitting the gym, i was skinny af.
So now i'd say i'm a 6, maybe 6.5 at best.
Just deal with it mate, no point in plastic surgery... I mean what would you get done? If it's anything other than face then hit the gym, train.

If it's face, i think it can make you look weird personally.

20% bf? Sure it's not more.... 20% isn't fat really (depends on the individual)
15% is lean, 12% good shape, 8-10 abs should be visable. 20% is most men...
Original post by midoristic
That's interesting. At his heaviest, my boyfriend was 233 lbs at 6"1. He is currently about 190 now and I haven't noticed much of a difference aside from the fact that his stomach's got smaller. His face got a bit smaller too, but his overall look didn't change that much. I think he's well attractive either way.

Everything is soo individual. For some people a 40 lbs weight loss is the difference between being ugly and movie star handsome; for others it isn't as clear-cut. I do, however, think that if you are at a lower weight, you do tend to gain self-confidence, and that is ultimately what makes you more attractive.

Props for a great response! Its confidence that matters, and if losing weight gives you that confidence, then go for it as long as its done in a healthy, not too extreme way which I know can be hard but as long as you do not develop an eating disorder you will be fine.
Original post by Unistudent77
How old are you?

Average being 5.... So you are hardly way below average. Minus 30lbs, you'd be 5.5/6.
That's what i would be if i hadn't started hitting the gym, i was skinny af.
So now i'd say i'm a 6, maybe 6.5 at best.
Just deal with it mate, no point in plastic surgery... I mean what would you get done? If it's anything other than face then hit the gym, train.

If it's face, i think it can make you look weird personally.

20% bf? Sure it's not more.... 20% isn't fat really (depends on the individual)
15% is lean, 12% good shape, 8-10 abs should be visable. 20% is most men...

As I said in the OP, I am 18. Yes, I am barely below average - but I just can't really imagine myself looking the same if I cut 30lbs. Perhaps you are right though, or perhaps I can become an 8/10.

I have the money for minor plastic surgery for the face, if I end up as a 7 or 8/10, I will do the surgery anyway to improve my appearance even further.

Anyway, I think it's 20% but it could be more I guess. But if I took my shirt off, you could definitely tell that I'm a fatass. My stomach and love-handles are huge, so maybe I'm 25%.
Reply 13
Original post by Alexion
It's a harsh world, but yes, fat is considered unattractive in today's society...

Though having a good form isn't the be-all-and-end-all, it is definitely what makes people initially attracted to you. It sucks, and it sounds harsh, but it's true :/

Why does it suck?
[QUOTE=midoristic;61751003]That's interesting. At his heaviest, my boyfriend was 233 lbs at 6"1. He is currently about 190 now and I haven't noticed much of a difference aside from the fact that his stomach's got smaller. His face got a bit smaller too, but his overall look didn't change that much. I think he's well attractive either way.

Great post.
OP it comes down to confidence.
I feel far more confident due to no acne, due to having a good body.

In the club, it's pretty tough.
Outside of the club ie bars or social settings i've had most success. I don't like rating people but apparently i've pulled several 7.5 - 8's before when i'm a 6 maybe 6.5 at a push.
Why? Personality, flirty, confident, body probs helps the 'alpha' (whatever the f**k that means) vibe and hence success.

If the weight loss will make you confident then it'll make a big difference.
Judging by the fact you're considering plastic surgery.... I suggest your confidence is lowish unfortunately.
Reply 15
Things like jawline and cheekbones come down a lot to bone structure, and by extension genetics. However reducing your bodyfat will definitely help slim down your face to some degree. It's different for everyone though but the best thing to do is just make progress and get fit regardless, you'll never know until you try!
Original post by difeo
Why does it suck?

Of course it sucks, why wouldnt it ? It means that many people with great personalities and talents are not as noticed or appreciated as people who are more attractive on the outside who may have similar or worse personalities . Society is obviously on the whole very shallow
[QUOTE=theperformer;61751157]As I said in the OP, I am 18. Yes, I am barely below average - but I just can't really imagine myself looking the same if I cut 30lbs. Perhaps you are right though, or perhaps I can become an 8/10.

I have the money for minor plastic surgery for the face, if I end up as a 7 or 8/10, I will do the surgery anyway to improve my appearance even further.

Anyway, I think it's 20% but it could be more I guess. But if I took my shirt off, you could definitely tell that I'm a fatass. My stomach and love-handles are huge, so maybe I'm 25%.

Sorry, my bad.
Well, i saw a photo from April recently (2015) and my mate said how we had all changed and how i've 'improved a lot' (i was probs 4.5/5 at points).

So if i'm still maturing and improving facially at 20 (was 19 at the time) then you could easily mature too.
Men look best 25-35 imo, so at least wait until you are 23/24 before thinking about cosmetic surgery.

Well lose the weight and see what you look like. I can see you and tbh even then i couldn't tell how you will look.
You could very well look much better if you lose the weight...

Well ok mate but i'd be careful...

Probs 25%
Reply 18
Original post by sunburner
Of course it sucks, why wouldnt it ? It means that many people with great personalities and talents are not as noticed or appreciated as people who are more attractive on the outside who may have similar or worse personalities . Society is obviously on the whole very shallow

I don't see why personality is considered more virtuous or better than looks. Plus maintaining a healthy weight demonstrates willpower, discipline, motivation etc and is correlated with intelligence, so normal weight people have better personalities anyway.
Original post by difeo
I don't see why personality is considered more virtuous or better than looks. Plus maintaining a healthy weight demonstrates willpower, discipline, motivation etc and is correlated with intelligence, so normal weight people have better personalities anyway.

I agree with the second half of your comment about being a healthy weight. don't get me wrong I do think appearance especially beig healthy is important but personality is more important. looks fade quicker. Do you really not see why personality is more "virtuous" than looks? Well in today's society it's not, but I'm saying it should be .

Latest