Getting into oxford after two gap years?

Watch
fr4n
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have just dropped out of LSE economics first year, the course was too maths based and not for me. I really love the economics and management course at Oxford but cant apply till september...so it would be as if i had taken two gap years. Do you know if anyone got in to Oxford after two gap years? And would i have to mention doing one term at LSE? Lastly, I know E&M is competitive but do you know what A levels most people get who get offers? I got 4A* at A level and 12A* at GCSE but i dont know if thats standard for E&M (seems standard at LSE)
fr4n
Rep:
?
Actually did anyone ever get into oxford after dropping out of another uni?
BritishBean
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fr4n)
Actually did anyone ever get into oxford after dropping out of another uni?
I'm going to find out tomorrow....hehe.
troubadour.
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fr4n)
I have just dropped out of LSE economics first year, the course was too maths based and not for me. I really love the economics and management course at Oxford but cant apply till september...so it would be as if i had taken two gap years. Do you know if anyone got in to Oxford after two gap years? And would i have to mention doing one term at LSE? Lastly, I know E&M is competitive but do you know what A levels most people get who get offers? I got 4A* at A level and 12A* at GCSE but i dont know if thats standard for E&M (seems standard at LSE)
You'll be just fine. Email the relevant department for clarification.
Lemon Haze
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ask Oxford, not us.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fr4n)
E&M is the *most* competitive course at Oxford (14 applicants per place, and only a 25% interview rate). Just to be realistic, do you have a Plan B in case you don't get an offer?
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What were your backup be? Would you apply for Management at LSE or Economics at other universities. Economics and Management is the most competitive Oxbridge course there is so it's risky. If it's what you want to do, go for it! I'm currently waiting to hear back from Oxford for History and Politics (5th hardest course in Oxbridge to get into). I think you should do what feels right for you
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you got a plan for things to be doing this year (and next)? If you can get some decent work experience before you apply that may add weight to your application.
fr4n
Rep:
?
(Original post by BritishBean)
I'm going to find out tomorrow....hehe.
What did you apply for and where did you drop out from?
BritishBean
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fr4n)
What did you apply for and where did you drop out from?
I spent a year doing Astrophysics at UCL, dropped out, and am now on a gap year having applied to Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and UEA for Biological Sciences. It's a very long story full of failure but basically I am much happier now and am applying for what I should have before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed