Cannot seem to get on a graduate scheme - what now Watch

Rosewal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm a 2014 graduate working as in a temporary legal job that will come to an end soon. I have decided I really want to work in the public sector but after being rejected from the main graduate schemes I don't know what to do.

this year I applied to a 3/4 graduate schemes. For the civil service fast stream I didn't pass the online Testing. For HMRC I got through to stage 2 but don't have an AC invite. I just got rejected from the NHS scheme today.

I don't know know where to go from here. I really had my hopes high this year but guess I'm still not good enough. Are there other ways of getting into the public sector ?

Any advise is welcome.
chosenone93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
whats the reasons for being rejected? im going through the same thing just keep failing every test the employers send to me; after studying 3 years of one subject many graduates dont realise how rusty they are on things like maths,logical reasoning etc. I'm at the stage where I prefer to apply for non grad schemes to avoid the tests but I never hear back after interviews with small companies.
annarchy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been applying for loads and loads of grad schemes and have found that the more I do these tests the better I have been getting on with them. Used to keep getting rejected but got further with the ones I applied for later. Might be an idea to just keep applying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holydude
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You must apply for more because out of the 40-45 I applied to, five invited me to AC, of which one gave me a job. Still to attend one of the AC, but happy in my current graduate scheme.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Holydude)
You must apply for more because out of the 40-45 I applied to, five invited me to AC, of which one gave me a job. Still to attend one of the AC, but happy in my current graduate scheme.
How on earth do you have time to apply for 45 graduate schemes? Especially alongside your studies? Each application for me takes at least two days!
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xx1t35)
How on earth do you have time to apply for 45 graduate schemes? Especially alongside your studies? Each application for me takes at least two days!
you find the time and do it.

i've done easily >70 apps since september. still have another 20-30+ odd until I'm calling it quits before Christmas
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
you find the time and do it.

i've done easily >70 apps since september. still have another 20-30+ odd until I'm calling it quits before Christmas
Alongside writing my dissertation and my other uni work I find it difficult to spend more than three days a week applying to grad schemes whilst trying to keep up my 2:1 so I’m actually eligible. I just feel like it’s all for waste whenever I get rejected
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How comes it takes you two days?? Most of us have cover letters and cvs ready (typically for each industry we are interested in), as well as some sample answers for generic questions that pops up, which we then slightly edit (to make it specific to the company) and send it off.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
How comes it takes you two days?? Most of us have cover letters and cvs ready (typically for each industry we are interested in), as well as some sample answers for generic questions that pops up, which we then slightly edit (to make it specific to the company) and send it off.
Because I research the company fully and I rewrite all my cover letters, tweak my CVs to fit in each job. All the questions have been quite different so I think it would be time wasting to write generic answers. Plus, you have the online assessments. For the fast stream, all the online tests took me 5 hours straight so.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
This angers me even more because if I did it quickly and didn’t rewrite I’m pretty sure it would be a waste, but people who seem to spend way less do better than me! Don’t know what I’m doing wrong :/ do you mind sending me a cover letter of yours if you’ve been successful?
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Because I research the company fully and I rewrite all my cover letters, tweak my CVs to fit in each job. All the questions have been quite different so I think it would be time wasting to write generic answers. Plus, you have the online assessments. For the fast stream, all the online tests took me 5 hours straight so.
what is there to research though? most of these companies/orgs have the same spiel and the work (given you're applying to similar roles) is largely the same. you only have to spend a cursory ~30mins to 1hr drafting up some key points about the "culture" of the company.

yeah online tests suck i'll give you that but just has to be done really.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This angers me even more because if I did it quickly and didn’t rewrite I’m pretty sure it would be a waste, but people who seem to spend way less do better than me! Don’t know what I’m doing wrong :/ do you mind sending me a cover letter of yours if you’ve been successful?
send me your cv/cl and i'll take a look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (206)
71.03%
No I haven't decided yet (51)
17.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
11.38%

Watched Threads