How to revise case studies? *tips*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    kopll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)
    do you guys think learning the relevant geo files/ hodder review articles is worth it or just stick to whatevers in the textbooks?
    I don't think that's necessarily important, it's not worth it
    Stick to the 'My revision notes/Hodder' decision guide and the thick blue textbook. Go over the ESSENTIAL case studies you MUST know for the exam
    California / Philippines
    Africa / Arctic Region
    Lagos / London
    Poland / UK
    UK / Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VivekJ555)
    I don't think that's necessarily important, it's not worth it
    Stick to the 'My revision notes/Hodder' decision guide and the thick blue textbook. Go over the ESSENTIAL case studies you MUST know for the exam
    California / Philippines
    Africa / Arctic Region
    Lagos / London
    Poland / UK
    UK / Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone of you find the 2015 June exam??

ReputationRep:
    My teacher gave it to us in December
    I'll attach it when I'm free
    Also - it's now April and all 2015 exams should be unlocked on edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel we could be at an advantage in terms of predictions, as this is the last year before the new spec, so perhaps Edexcel have to use all the content that's never appeared before, otherwise you could argue that it shouldn't have been put on the specification.

Anyone know of any topics which have never come up?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I revised the major case studies really well then just wrote my own revision guide from my textbook, leaving out all the bits I was confident on too save time. Then I just wrote out answers to all the previous 10 and 15 mark questions (including questions about the case studies even if they are going to ask you in the smaller questions) with the mark scheme over and over, until the information and case studies within the mark schemes become your own.

I know it sounds jarring and its what they tell you loads but wider reading is the key to geography. I am lucky i guess because i enjoy it anyway but just watch as many documentaries as you can and read the Scientific American etc to get as many little facts as you can as possible. I got 100% in AS and I am confident this just came from wider reading, I didnt have a clue about the actual topics of maybe half the 10 and 15 mark questions but if you write about what you know anyway and show understanding thats what actually matters.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has said that megacities are due to come up in the 15 marker questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    California came up last year, so I would assume Philippines. Also, Africa has come up quite a few times in the past couple of years, so could see more of the Arctic case study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Bangs-)
    Personally, I revised the major case studies really well then just wrote my own revision guide from my textbook, leaving out all the bits I was confident on too save time. Then I just wrote out answers to all the previous 10 and 15 mark questions (including questions about the case studies even if they are going to ask you in the smaller questions) with the mark scheme over and over, until the information and case studies within the mark schemes become your own.

I know it sounds jarring and its what they tell you loads but wider reading is the key to geography. I am lucky i guess because i enjoy it anyway but just watch as many documentaries as you can and read the Scientific American etc to get as many little facts as you can as possible. I got 100% in AS and I am confident this just came from wider reading, I didnt have a clue about the actual topics of maybe half the 10 and 15 mark questions but if you write about what you know anyway and show understanding thats what actually matters.
    So do you have any tips on how to structure the 10/15 markers- like do you start with a definition and then get to the point? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you usually get in essays- and HOW? I'm ok at the short answered questions, but the essays always screw up my paper- I get around 5/10 and 7/15 in essays- sooooooo sad. Do you have any tips on how to write a better geography essay? Thank you so so much!

ReputationRep:
    guys i seriously need help on the fieldwork for unit 2, its about one week till the exam and because I'm a private geography excel student I've had no guidance of what to do and where to do it, I'm from the UK but i live in dubai,if i can see some examples of yours it would be perfect thank you so much, and I'm doing crowded coasts and rebranding.
    this is urgent thank you so much any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    So do you have any tips on how to structure the 10/15 markers- like do you start with a definition and then get to the point? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you usually get in essays- and HOW? I'm ok at the short answered questions, but the essays always screw up my paper- I get around 5/10 and 7/15 in essays- sooooooo sad. Do you have any tips on how to write a better geography essay? Thank you so so much!
    In my opinion the essay part of geography is 3 things; solid english skills (not necessarily how "good" your english is but more how well it flows and it literally is how clever you sound), good wider reading knowledge you can write about (e.g my mum works for the council so in terms of rebranding and anything urban I just had a bunch of case studies that weren't learnt they were just things I knew about the local area) and some good case studies (again, some were wider reading from documentaries etc but I mainly focussed on the main ones from the text book e.g California, Philipines, Antarctica, Africa, UK-Spain migration, Poland-UK migration and learnt them well).

10 markers need no introduction, personally I just looked at mark schemes and literally wrote it out in that order then the same applies when its your own knowledge. 15 markers could do with a little context or definition as you said like just describing general terms or giving it context in current news. I keep saying it but just get as many 10 and 15 mark questions and their mark schemes and copy it out, anytime the mark scheme says a little thing like "credit case studies such as XX, XX, XX, XX" research that case study and then include that in the answer you are writing. Until much closer to the exam dont worry too much about time and length, just keep writing until everything in the mark scheme and all the case studies in there have been covered in detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hadzyster99)
    guys i seriously need help on the fieldwork for unit 2, its about one week till the exam and because I'm a private geography excel student I've had no guidance of what to do and where to do it, I'm from the UK but i live in dubai,if i can see some examples of yours it would be perfect thank you so much, and I'm doing crowded coasts and rebranding.
    this is urgent thank you so much any help is appreciated
    its so deep if you havent done any research for that yet, I honestly dont know how you can do it without going on a few organised trips with a school or group who will do the same exam.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone list me the 'Going Global' Compulsory Case Studies? I know the World at Risk ones but not these ones it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Mumbai, Los Angeles and Shanghai as examples in Megacities- I know I have to learn these case studies, but what are they actually for? I know that LA is to talk about suburbanisation, but what about the other two?

Also, side note; is anyone talking about Curitiba and what is this for? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    Is anyone doing Mumbai, Los Angeles and Shanghai as examples in Megacities- I know I have to learn these case studies, but what are they actually for? I know that LA is to talk about suburbanisation, but what about the other two?

Also, side note; is anyone talking about Curitiba and what is this for? Thank you.
    I'm doing Mumbai and LA, they could be used for anything like the causes of growth / rural - urban migration or the challenges of Megacities (housing problems, pollution, lack of space, waste etc)
    Curitiba can be used as an example of a sustainable city because of its intergrated transport network and use of natural gas :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Geedorah)
    Can anyone list me the 'Going Global' Compulsory Case Studies? I know the World at Risk ones but not these ones it seems.
    Going global do not have any compulsory case studies. You won't be asked about specific locations in exam questions.
    You should know some though to mention as examples, such as
    UK-Spain (*retirement migration)
    Poland - UK (General migration)
    London and Lagos (Urbanisation)
    London / Los Angeles (Megacities)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Megacities are due to come as 15 markers! Go over them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 11, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.