Tell me a bit about Jeremy Corbyn Watch

kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't know much about him and his politics; the only thing that came to my mind when looking at him is Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars and his marvellous beard.

Can someone tell me something about him and his politics please?
Platopus
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Only thing I know about him is that:

1) He is a pacifist
2) Lots of people don't like him
vegmans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He's a legend.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Platopus)
2) Lots of people don't like him
Why though?

(Original post by vegmans)
He's a legend.
In what way?
Platopus
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Why though?
Sorry, I know nothing about politics. It's worrying to think that in a few months I will be old enough to unleash my incompetence on the nation by voting...
BLUChaosBear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Why though?

People think his polices are too "Hippy" and non-practical for the country. I can remember when I used to pick up the newspaper in the summer and reading negative articles about his proposed plans.

In reality, the guy is no different to the other hopefuls and he does have some nice plans for the future, but it's the lack of presentation he puts into his plans that make people hate him.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
Standard leftie: Somewhat well intentioned and interesting if economically illiterate, socially negligent, and 'progressive' to the point of treachery
Foo, how do you find him socially negligent, and 'progressive' to the point of treachery?
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He's a "terrorist-sympathising, Britain-hating, looney who is in bed with the IRA and ISIS."

Don't you mindlessly watch the news like every other submissive citizen?
picklescamp
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the closest Britain has to a leader with integrity and honest intentions.
kka25
Rep:
?
Off the top of my head: he supports terror groups, open door immigration to the Muslim/3rd world (putting our values, lives, and way of life at risk), shunned the queen, didn't honour our war dead properly/won't sing the national anthem, and sent a signal to our enemies that he wouldn't push the button if they decided to nuke us. His saving grace is that he's a completely hopeless character who will never have power, so this angers me not
I don't follow him much but saw him in a particular interview; seemed to be a nice person, and looked genuinely honest!

(Original post by picklescamp)
the closest Britain has to a leader with integrity and honest intentions.
This did come to my mind when I saw him during that interview.
kka25
Rep:
?
You realise that this does not contradict anything I have said, right?
Yep; well, I don't have much information on him really :moon:

I believe, personality wise, Thatcher and Corbyn are total opposite sides :awesome:
NoPunInThisName
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Off the top of my head: he supports terror groups, open door immigration to the Muslim/3rd world (putting our values, lives, and way of life at risk), shunned the queen, didn't honour our war dead properly/won't sing the national anthem, and sent a signal to our enemies that he wouldn't push the button if they decided to nuke us. His saving grace is that he's a completely hopeless character who will never have power, so this angers me not
And there it is. :rofl:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Corbyn is just another inadequate Labour loser that cannot handle the POWER of Supreme Leader Cameron during his sublime reign.

Nobody will be talking about him in a few years.

/thread.
AlwaysWatching
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He's wrong on religion.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When you get confused, just ask 'What would Jeremy Corbyn do?'
Flibib
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From someone who campaigned for and voted for him in the Labour leadership election, and has met him a dozen or so times at events (mostly events on Human Rights issues in central America):

Hes a good, solidly principled man who I believe will always stand up for what he believes is right regardless of what the perception might be. He's also dour to the point of being humourless, doesn't have the greatest sense of humour and is unbelievably bad at small talk. He's a pretty uninspiring bloke and he doesn't have the experience of running a department, let alone the opposition party or even government.

His policies are moderate, if not centrist. His opposition to 'austerity' and more specifically neoliberalist policies is well documented. He strongly opposes privatisation and would like to see an incremental return to nationalisation in key industries; notably rail and energy. He would like to see higher taxation on the richest in the country (Obama has done this in the U.S by the way, simultaneously creating twice the private sector jobs in his presidency than Bush did, leaving a huge hole in the rhetoric that higher taxes stagnate the economy). He supports a minimum wage for apprentices, more funding for adult learning and the abolition of tuition fees.

His opponents claim these economic policies are 'radical'. I'm not sure on what basis they do so; Amartya Sen, Paul Krugman, Angus Deaton and Joseph Stiglitz all advocate a similar role for the state as Corbyn, and all are Nobel Prize winners in Economics. I'm not necessarily saying this makes him correct, but to suggest Corbyn's ideas are lunacy knocking around the fringes of policy discussion is idiotic.

In the same vein, his opponents also claim that Corbyn policies by and large are 'extremely left wing'. Again, I'm not sure on what basis they do so. Readers of the Telegraph, which is traditionally firmly to the right of centre, are in favour of renationalisation: 64/36%. The same readers are also in favour of Corbyn's plan to create a 'national education service' by 62/38%. Granted, these polls weren't specific. It's possible that thousands of mad lefties flooded the telegraph site to skew the poll...but I really can't see it.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Flibib)
From someone who campaigned for and voted for him in the Labour leadership election, and has met him a dozen or so times at events (mostly events on Human Rights issues in central America):

Hes a good, solidly principled man who I believe will always stand up for what he believes is right regardless of what the perception might be. He's also dour to the point of being humourless, doesn't have the greatest sense of humour and is unbelievably bad at small talk. He's a pretty uninspiring bloke and he doesn't have the experience of running a department, let alone the opposition party or even government.

His policies are moderate, if not centrist. His opposition to 'austerity' and more specifically neoliberalist policies is well documented. He strongly opposes privatisation and would like to see an incremental return to nationalisation in key industries; notably rail and energy. He would like to see higher taxation on the richest in the country (Obama has done this in the U.S by the way, simultaneously creating twice the private sector jobs in his presidency than Bush did, leaving a huge hole in the rhetoric that higher taxes stagnate the economy). He supports a minimum wage for apprentices, more funding for adult learning and the abolition of tuition fees.

His opponents claim these economic policies are 'radical'. I'm not sure on what basis they do so; Amartya Sen, Paul Krugman, Angus Deaton and Joseph Stiglitz all advocate a similar role for the state as Corbyn, and all are Nobel Prize winners in Economics. I'm not necessarily saying this makes him correct, but to suggest Corbyn's ideas are lunacy knocking around the fringes of policy discussion is idiotic.

In the same vein, his opponents also claim that Corbyn policies by and large are 'extremely left wing'. Again, I'm not sure on what basis they do so. Readers of the Telegraph, which is traditionally firmly to the right of centre, are in favour of renationalisation: 64/36%. The same readers are also in favour of Corbyn's plan to create a 'national education service' by 62/38%. Granted, these polls weren't specific. It's possible that thousands of mad lefties flooded the telegraph site to skew the poll...but I really can't see it.
Sounds good to me. The idea that social democratic countries with large public sectors are a burden on the private sector is such a lie, look at Sweden, it has a lower corporation tax than the US.
RokanPohan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He said that Osama Bin Laden should have been tried for his crimes rather than just shot. It was poorly phrased and a bit of an inflammatory thing to say but now he's been branded a terrorist sympathiser.

I don't even really agree with the guy but if you think he supports terrorists you're an idiot.

According to Cameron anyone who was against the bombing of Syria is a terrorist sympathiser so I wouldn't really take his word on this one
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If he's so bad, how did he manage to win the labour leadership?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads