The Student Room Group

Increasing numbers of students going without food to cope with rising costs at Uni

Scroll to see replies

They should have asked the students what their loan was spent on bet it was 100's on nights out, phone contract, designer clothes when they could go to Primark or wear the clothes they already have.
Reply 21
Original post by Jammy Duel
But baiting lefties is fun.

To be honest you are right (see what I did there :wink: )
Original post by Katty3
However that is incredibly unhealthy and they contain chicken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can supplement them with vegetables if you can afford them.

How do noodles contain chicken?

Original post by jenhasdreams
Good idea, noodles were a staple when I was at University! If you want to make them a bit more nutritious and tastier you can try stirring in some peanut butter, the budget ones are a good cheap source of protein, and it makes it taste a bit like a pad thai! Or mix in some frozen vegetables - peas/carrots/corn etc.

We were quite fortunate in our house as we had a consistent supply of free meat. It kept the bills down, pheasant became a staple meat as it costs nothing to get. What really helped is that all 5 of us shopped and ate together rather than separately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
It does sound like common sense. However many students who are away from home for the first time, cooking for themselves for the first time, and learning to budget their money for the first time may not find it so easy. So would most likely appreciate some advice on how to get 2 weeks worth of nutritious meals for £20 :smile:

A pasta with tomato sauce and cheese diet (a vegetarian meal) costs about £1.5 a day (for two meals per day).
Plan,plan,plan and make good use of your freezer, for example Lidl does a kg of frozen chicken for £3.92ish which you can easily make a curry, a stir fry and a roast dinner out of it and frozen veg is never expensive. Also buy in bulk when there's offers on things like pasta and rice and if you can stick to Lidl and Aldi and avoid brands wherever possible.(For the short time I lived alone in halls I never went over £20 after the 1st week so its perfectly possible)
Original post by Katty3
A well planned vegetarian diet is very healthy. I'm vegetarian for ethical and environmental reasons as well as health reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm vegan as well :smile: It would be awesome if you could give some tips on how you can still eat cheaply and healthily as a vegetarian as University without having to go without food. For example, beans are a very cheap source of protein
Reply 26
How much of this group are unemployed?
Reply 27
I'm vegan as well :smile: It would be awesome if you could give some tips on how you can still eat cheaply and healthily as a vegetarian as University without having to go without food. For example, beans are a very cheap source of protein

Some meat substitutes are more expensive as are the various types of vegan food. Note key word is some. But hey not an argument for this thread.

I would say pasta is a key staple diet for this as is, toast and cereal, if you eat at breakfast, you feel less hungry.
Reply 28
Original post by DiddyDec
You can supplement them with vegetables if you can afford them.

How do noodles contain chicken?

We were quite fortunate in our house as we had a consistent supply of free meat. It kept the bills down, pheasant became a staple meat as it costs nothing to get. What really helped is that all 5 of us shopped and ate together rather than separately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know why it's in there, it just is. Check the ingredients.

Plain noodles don't contain chicken, but they are more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw651
Some meat substitutes are more expensive as are the various types of vegan food. Note key word is some. But hey not an argument for this thread.

I would say pasta is a key staple diet for this as is, toast and cereal, if you eat at breakfast, you feel less hungry.

You're very right. Meat subsitutes can be expensive so wouldn't recommend these for someone on a budget. But beans, lentils, tofu etc are cheap ways to stay a healthy vegan
Reply 30
Original post by Katty3
However that is incredibly unhealthy and they contain chicken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not eating at all is more unhealthy. Anyway you can buy a kg of frozen veg for 80p, so that's 10 meals for a total cost of 21p per meal
Reply 31
Original post by chikane
They should have asked the students what their loan was spent on bet it was 100's on nights out, phone contract, designer clothes when they could go to Primark or wear the clothes they already have.

For a lot of students the loan barely/doesn't cover their accommodation
Reply 32
You're very right. Meat subsitutes can be expensive so wouldn't recommend these for someone on a budget. But beans, lentils, tofu etc are cheap ways to stay a healthy vegan

Lentil Dal, an Indian staple that is cheap, filling and tasty, also you can make plenty of it and mix with rice to bulk it out. I think Indian dishes have the best variety vegetarian wise (I lived there :biggrin:)
Definitely the cost of living being the source of the problem, I don't think food is as much of an issue as others as food can still be fairly cheap depending on what you're after.

A cut in benefits to assist those struggling, rise in public transport costs and fewer jobs are root causes of the issue and it's a tough time to be growing up in. :angry:
Original post by Katty3
I don't know why it's in there, it just is. Check the ingredients.

Plain noodles don't contain chicken, but they are more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be the flavouring packets they come with. They are optional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pol pot noodles
Why do they keep mentioning high tuition fees as a source of the problem? Tuition fees have no bearing or relevance in the slightest. You don't have to part with a single penny to pay tuition. The issue is down to cost of living, and whether maintenance loans alone should be enough or just a supplement to a student getting a job.

True on paper, but in reality it affects people's attitude to spending overall - the concern is there in the background, even if it isn't an immediate issue. However, I think in general, this is true and is somewhat overblown as an issue by both media and student organisations. Far more significant is the scrapping of maintenance grants.

It's pretty disgusting that a good percentage of students feel stealing food is something they should do - there has to be a lot of desperation behind that. It's also extremely foolish as a criminal record can really blight your career chances.
Original post by claireestelle
Plan,plan,plan and make good use of your freezer, for example Lidl does a kg of frozen chicken for £3.92ish which you can easily make a curry, a stir fry and a roast dinner out of it and frozen veg is never expensive. Also buy in bulk when there's offers on things like pasta and rice and if you can stick to Lidl and Aldi and avoid brands wherever possible.(For the short time I lived alone in halls I never went over £20 after the 1st week so its perfectly possible)

Aldi is amazing! I went there for the first time yesterday - I've just moved house and it's now on my way home, whereas I used to live near a Sainsburys. It's so so much cheaper!!
Aldi is amazing! I went there for the first time yesterday - I've just moved house and it's now on my way home, whereas I used to live near a Sainsburys. It's so so much cheaper!!

Once you try Aldi/Lidl, you cant really find a reason to go back to other supermarkets, apart from the occasional product you can get everything there :smile:
Original post by chikane

There are definitely a large number of students who genuinely struggle and don't waste their money though, the real reason being high rental costs for accommodation in many university towns/locations, especially in the south.
Reply 39

I often cook thick soup made with lentils and assorted veg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending