The Student Room Group

Increasing numbers of students going without food to cope with rising costs at Uni

Scroll to see replies

I get the basic loan but only my mother is considered in the loan. Loads of my mates get the additional loans/grants and some got bursaries so they can go out more. Tbh as a more conservatively minded student, I don't find the sacrifices that difficult, but it's clear that students can save a lot of money by going out once or twice a week instead of 4 times and that the apportioning of maintenance grants is very unfair
Original post by Katty3
However that is incredibly unhealthy and they contain chicken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The **** has that got to do with it.

Original post by jenhasdreams
Good idea, noodles were a staple when I was at University! If you want to make them a bit more nutritious and tastier you can try stirring in some peanut butter, the budget ones are a good cheap source of protein, and it makes it taste a bit like a pad thai! Or mix in some frozen vegetables - peas/carrots/corn etc.
Same here. I actually came up with loads of different ways to make pretty emaborate (and still cheap) meals out of cheap noodles. The one I was proudest of was the "Cheap Git Carbonara" that I came up with based on a proper Italian recipe, substituting cheaper ingredients in.

Actually I have been tempted to write a recipe book based entirely around cheap noodles :erm:
Original post by Drewski
Stop drinking your loans.

Simple as that.
You can easily get 2-3 week's worth of food for less than £20. Just requires some common sense and discipline.

This

From knowing what myself and many others were like during uni, reason people are hard up is because of the drinking going out.
When I was at uni I could easily spend £40 3 nights a week going out and then more drinking costs with the odd few drinks at the su bar each day etc.
Reply 63
Original post by Tootles
The **** has that got to do with it.

Same here. I actually came up with loads of different ways to make pretty emaborate (and still cheap) meals out of cheap noodles. The one I was proudest of was the "Cheap Git Carbonara" that I came up with based on a proper Italian recipe, substituting cheaper ingredients in.

Actually I have been tempted to write a recipe book based entirely around cheap noodles :erm:

I don't eat meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Tesco value noodles, they are about 13p a pack and provide a two course meal of noodles and soup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wtf where show me, give meee
the Tesco in our town centre isn't that large, so I doubt they have them :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Katty3
I don't eat meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carbonara doesn't need meat, you can cook it without bacon.
And noodles don't contain meat
Reply 66
Original post by Inexorably
the Tesco in our town centre isn't that large, so I doubt they have them :frown:

You can get them online I think.
Original post by Katty3
I don't eat meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So don't eat the meat flavoured ones, nobody's asking you to do that. Discard the flavour sachet and use the noodles as a base to add to according to your own taste. Maybe cook the noodles without the seasoning and add half a can of tomatoes, some pepper, cumin, a little cheese perhaps. There you go, a slightly creamy sort of mild curry flavour.

That's a big thing that people seem to disregard; all the meat-related ingredients are in the seasoning/flavouring, and that's in a separate sachet. The noodles themselves are just four, egg, and water, flash-fried in vegetable oil.
Original post by sw651
How much of this group are unemployed?

Original post by pol pot noodles
student getting a job.

I've found It's nearly always people at fairly rubbish (sorry) unis who suggest students get jobs. :rolleyes: If you've actually applied to the right level of university for your ability, you really should be pushed hard to complete your degree. Oxford outright bans it's students from perusing any part-time work.
Reply 69
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Go for poos in public toilets. Never pay for toilet roll.

Or just put the toilet roll from public loos in your bag and take them home? Yes, I know students that do this.
Reply 70
I don't drink at uni and it saves me a fortune. I find it hard to feel sorry for students who go on several alcohol benders a week and then starve or eat 10p packs of noodles.
Reply 71
Original post by Inexorably

You have soup noodles among Chinese/Oriental products.
What growing costs of uni ?
Reply 73
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I've found It's nearly always people at fairly rubbish (sorry) unis who suggest students get jobs. :rolleyes: If you've actually applied to the right level of university for your ability, you really should be pushed hard to complete your degree. Oxford outright bans it's students from perusing any part-time work.

I'm not at uni yet, but I disagree wiht what you say. You need experience in the work place to get anywhere in life work wise. Try getting a retail job, you will need experience. People think academia is all you need, you need life experience too.
Original post by sw651
I'm not at uni yet, but I disagree wiht what you say. You need experience in the work place to get anywhere in life work wise. Try getting a retail job, you will need experience. People think academia is all you need, you need life experience too.

Plenty of time for that during non-term time. (Though not enough to earn enough in order to support yourself during term-time, if the internship/placement is paid at all)
Reply 75
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Plenty of time for that during non-term time. (Though not enough to earn enough in order to support yourself during term-time, if the internship/placement is paid at all)

It's a double edged sword, do you sacrifice experience or academia?
I won't get tuition fee loans. Simple argument, If I get into medical school I will have to work. I won't have a choice. It is either work part time or no degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
Stop drinking your loans.

Simple as that.
You can easily get 2-3 week's worth of food for less than £20. Just requires some common sense and discipline.

Dude my loan doesn't even cover my accomodation, I will be in deficit by >£100 by the end of the year and that was without food/travel costs.
Reply 79
Original post by DiddyDec
I paid £70 a week and my maintenance loan didn't even cover it. I wouldn't consider that particularly high rent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Halls last year for me were £125 a week; the current people living there are paying £140 a week. Granted the accomodation was incredibly, incredibly lovely and modern but still :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending