The Student Room Group

The Taming of the Shrew (Literature Essay)

I have an essay to plan and am running out of points for the question:

'Bianca is a stereotype of female passivity in the play.' To what extent do you agree with this view of Shakespeare's dramatic presentation of her?

Any points for or against would be appreciated, with supported quotes if possible.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by amy.99

'Bianca is a stereotype of female passivity in the play.' To what extent do you agree with this view of Shakespeare's dramatic presentation of her?

Any points for or against would be appreciated, with supported quotes if possible.

Hello,

I've moved this to the English forum now, you should get more replies here. :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Tank Girl
Hello,

I've moved this to the English forum now, you should get more replies here. :h:

ah thanks :smile:
Original post by amy.99

Agree:

- Argue that Katherine is her foil and, by consequence, we can truly see the differences in passivity between the two characters. Most of the play's action is shifted onto Petruchio and Katherine and so we generally perceive her to be the more passive of the two.
- Talk about the expectations of the time - expectations were to get married and obey "thy lord", which Bianca is willing to accept (hence she is called "sweet Bianca")

Disagree:

- Consider the way in which she argues with Katherine, her use of innuendo in language, the lechery of the men after her. Her clothing seems to be an item of seduction and she seems to want to tempt the men in the play into her thrall.
- She clearly has a voice and a desire and wants to choose the man she is wedded with. So, she is transgressive to some extent.

Some ideas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending