rstar345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Would joining the army, navy or RAF reserve benefit me in my efforts to join the police force? or should I just work on my fitness levels outside of academic studies?
AlwaysWatching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rstar345)
Would joining the army, navy or RAF reserve benefit me in my efforts to join the police force? or should I just work on my fitness levels outside of academic studies?
Have you tried the specials? (volunteer police)

And being a reservist has advantages and disadvantages. It is true that there are many in the police that are also in the Army reserves - I know several. But being in the reserves doesn't necessarily mean you'd be a good policeman.

It's [police work] all about life experience, empathy, self discipline, wisdom [in application of the law] and the ability to use common sense to solve conflicts. You can get that from different things, not just the armed forces. Voluntary work for example. Don't think that the armed forces is a ticket into the police - it isn't. If you join the reserves and can demonstrate those abilities, then you have a chance. If you do join, but can't demonstrate those abilities, then you don't have a chance.

You should be working on your fitness and having a healthy lifestyle regardless of your ambitions to join the police or armed forces.
TheCondor_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rstar345)
If you join the Military Police, you will definitely feel having an advantage joining the Police force.

However, at the moment it is very difficult and expensive joining the Police. You need to get a CKP ( Certificate in knowledge of Policing ) to join most of the forces, which costs you about 900-1000 £ and doesn't even guarantees you a job in the Police, it only makes it possible to APPLY. Then there is a selection. Even if you pass, it could be possible that you have to wait up to a year for a position, since they don't always recruit.

I wanted to go for the Police, but the whole time-efford and expenses and also the difficulty getting in there since all the other applicants, made me say : " Nope, not yet ". Maybe when I have some more life experiences.

So think it well through! The military in general might give you an advantage since it shows that you have discipline, but don't forget that you wont be the only applicant who has had a military background.

I've heard about an army captain who applied for the Police, but totally failed because they did not like how he talked. LOL.

However, as AlwaysWatching you already mentioned..specials... It's not a guarantee but definitely a thing worth going for...I mean you do police work as a special, so what can be better in a CV than actual experience in the job you are applying for ?
Harpoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Say what? Apart from the fact this thread is over a year old, you're also talking complete rubbish
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
POST OF THE YEAR SO FAR :banana:

(Original post by Anfanny)
Police would not be classed in the military it's we'll split and divided and more of an organised community watch. In real terms they can't use bombs or high cal over bullets and hace a minuscule armoury compared to a military. The Islamic state military is small but could wipe out a country quite easily. For example if you take a police helicopter for a spin everyone would know because they don't have that many of them. Maybe 20 in the entire UK.
Then by region. In Northern Ireland there's no such thing as a military the people who commit crimes and govern the place are the same people and everyone knows this there's a difference between it and the rest of the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
43.94%
Take autumn exams (23)
34.85%
Look for a job (1)
1.52%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
3.03%
Take a year out (8)
12.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads