The Student Room Group

Is Physics a very difficult course at GCSE ?

I am planning to do at least one or two British school degrees ( I've already got German school degrees which can be compared to British GCSEs ). So I thought Physics would be nice! I've never really had Physics in school, only for a very short amount of time, and I am not in to Maths, so would Physics be for me ? If I would finish the Physics GCSE, I would also continue with a Physics A-Level.

+ Is there some sort of second GCSE that would fit with Physics? Might make more sense doing two GCSEs at the same time. I would do more, but I am a CEO and also have to keep work in mind.

PS: What GCSE/A-Levels would be a benefit for joining the Army ?
Original post by TheCondor_
I am planning to do at least one or two British school degrees ( I've already got German school degrees which can be compared to British GCSEs ). So I thought Physics would be nice! I've never really had Physics in school, only for a very short amount of time, and I am not in to Maths, so would Physics be for me ? If I would finish the Physics GCSE, I would also continue with a Physics A-Level.

+ Is there some sort of second GCSE that would fit with Physics? Might make more sense doing two GCSEs at the same time. I would do more, but I am a CEO and also have to keep work in mind.

PS: What GCSE/A-Levels would be a benefit for joining the Army ?

GCSE Physics is not very difficult. If you're going to do physics then you should do maths as well though. The two are inseparable I'm afraid, especially at A level and beyond.
Reply 2
Original post by langlitz
GCSE Physics is not very difficult. If you're going to do physics then you should do maths as well though. The two are inseparable I'm afraid, especially at A level and beyond.

What do you know about Chemistry? Would be my second option. At GCSE first and then at A-Level. What would be a good combination ? Biology ?
What do you know about Chemistry? Would be my second option. At GCSE first and then at A-Level. What would be a good combination ? Biology ?

Yeah Chemistry and Biology go well together, as do Chemistry and Physics
Reply 4
Yeah Chemistry and Biology go well together, as do Chemistry and Physics

Well, since I am not in to maths too much, it might would be better to combine Chemistry and Biology? I mean I can at least do my GCSEs in Chem & Bio. If it's for me, I'll go for As
Reply 5

I did the A-level without maths
now... i didn't do very WELL (got a C :/) but I didn't work that hard tbf and didn't get the teaching (only had one teacher so couldn't ask anyone else)

the A-level course was designed to be taken without maths - and if you took maths but it was statistics it wouldn't have helped you with physics anyway. At degree level is when **** hits the fan X'D
Original post by z33
I did the A-level without maths
now... i didn't do very WELL (got a C :/) but I didn't work that hard tbf and didn't get the teaching (only had one teacher so couldn't ask anyone else)

the A-level course was designed to be taken without maths - and if you took maths but it was statistics it wouldn't have helped you with physics anyway. At degree level is when **** hits the fan X'D

I'm not saying you need A-level maths to do A-level physics by you would need at least GCSE. A-level physics is pretty pathetic in that respect tbh. You don't even need calculus. But they do teach some difficult concepts (well I guess they do, I never did A-levels)
Well, since I am not in to maths too much, it might would be better to combine Chemistry and Biology? I mean I can at least do my GCSEs in Chem & Bio. If it's for me, I'll go for As

Yeah what ever floats your boat! How come are you're not into maths? In fact how do you know you're not into maths if you've never done GCSE even?
Reply 8
I'm not saying you need A-level maths to do A-level physics by you would need at least GCSE. A-level physics is pretty pathetic in that respect tbh. You don't even need calculus. But they do teach some difficult concepts (well I guess they do, I never did A-levels)

Yeah definitely atleast a B in Maths GCSE and Physics GCSE (or double science)
It is but I'm glad because i can't maths X'D
I think Waves (Motion, Interference etc) and Projectile Motion were the most difficult topics.
¬_¬ damn radians
Reply 9
Yeah what ever floats your boat! How come are you're not into maths? In fact how do you know you're not into maths if you've never done GCSE even?

Because I did my German school degrees which are equivalent to the British GCSEs, I started with my German A-level and I started with my British A-Level in maths, but learning it was always the hardest for me and took me for ages.

It's not that I am stupid, it's more that I have some sort of fear from maths.

Quick Reply

Latest