RHepburn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi. I have applied to Aberdeen, Stirling, St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh University's to study philosophy. I can't find anyone who has been to these university's to study the course.

Does anyone have any experience of studying philosophy at any of these university's? Or does anyone have any recommendations for what university would be a good choice for studying philosophy?

I have visited Aberdeen and Stirling and really liked Stirling university however I am struggling to find much about what the philosophy courses are like at these university's and how good they are. The only indicator of how good the courses are have been league tables which I am hesitant to use.

Any help I would be extremely grateful.
University of Glasgow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I studied philosophy at Glasgow during my first two years of uni and absolutely loved it (I'm on my fourth year now doing single honours in politics, especially focusing on political philosophy/political theory). The first two years cover lots of basic topics: political philosophy, ethics, philosophy of religion, critical thinking, philosophy of science, formal logic, epistemology etc. We studied at least Descartes, Plato, Rousseau, Locke, Hobbes and Russell more in depth. In my experience the lecturers here are really friendly and approachable, I found the two years fun and challenging. If you have any more specific questions do not hesitate to ask

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
RHepburn
Rep:
?
Hi!

Thanks for the help! It is one of my first choices so it's good to hear people enjoy studying there! Just a couple more questions.

1. How big were the class sizes?

2. Is there any area of philosophy that the department is strong in?

Thanks again

Rohan
University of Glasgow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Rohan,

1. The first two years were a combination of lectures (of 100-150 students maybe) and tutorials. At tutorials the class size was around 15-20 students I would say, so it's easy to ask questions etc.

2. The department has most areas of analytic philosophy covered, from philosophy of religion to logic, so you will be able to focus on whatever you find the most interesting! But I think philosophy of mind is especially a strength of the department.

Hope this helps!

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
RHepburn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glasgow Uni)
Hi Rohan,

1. The first two years were a combination of lectures (of 100-150 students maybe) and tutorials. At tutorials the class size was around 15-20 students I would say, so it's easy to ask questions etc.

2. The department has most areas of analytic philosophy covered, from philosophy of religion to logic, so you will be able to focus on whatever you find the most interesting! But I think philosophy of mind is especially a strength of the department.

Hope this helps!

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
Thank you for answering my questions! I really appreciate it.

Sorry for the late reply I have had prelims on over the last week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.49%
England (143)
34.79%
Belgium (31)
7.54%
Germany (41)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.43%