marialouisnorman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently trying to find out how to apply for Step up to social work, and their main website isn't working. Does anyone know how to get in touch with step up to Social work, when thy announce the local authorities, and if they generally have any in the south west, specifically around Bristol?!

Thanks!
Maria
Hollysdx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello!

I'm hoping to do this course too and awaiting for the application to become available and see whether it is under my local authority. I would be applying for the North West.

Holly
sokrates99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, I am also interested in doing this. However, i know that the original funding from the government was for 4 cohorts, the last one being the one that started this January. There is no guarantee that Step up to Social Work will be extended and run again in Jan 2017. From the research i have done on the internet I think it is more likely to be discontinued but i hope it won't be!
bx789
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/step-up-...for-applicants

This was updated yesterday - seems theyre not doing a 2017 cohort but they are doing a 2018

Im Gutted!
meirariem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh wow, I'm gutted! I was so hoping to apply this year Ah well, more time to gain experience in the field I guess :-/
charlottesmum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just started on this last month!
olegwarwick
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cohort 5 will go ahead starting january 2017
olegwarwick
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sorry- I mean 2018
Sydalan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know if jobs are guaranteed with each individual local authority at the end? I'm also confused about where the funding actually comes from. I'm worried there might be a 'hidden' catch somewhere. What if you don't want to stay in local authority social work and prefer to work in a charity for instance?
Hayleybobs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sydalan)
Does anyone know if jobs are guaranteed with each individual local authority at the end? I'm also confused about where the funding actually comes from. I'm worried there might be a 'hidden' catch somewhere. What if you don't want to stay in local authority social work and prefer to work in a charity for instance?
As I understand historically you have got around a £19,000 bursary which is paid in a variety of ways (depending on area). Also your fees are all paid for. There also isn't a promise of a job at the end of it so there is nothing to say who you work for in the end. There are two very good threads on here Step up to Social Work 2014 which shows an awful lot of thoughts and experiences of students going for this particular cohort.
Newatthis1981
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I'm considering applying for this however I have two children both at school but still little .....would love to know how you are finding this course and how you're feeling juggling placement, the academic and home?
hinchliffe_e
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi i have a 2.2 degree however i dont have a masters however i have 3 years teaching experience as a unqualified teacher and lots of voluntary project work experience. can i apply?
SJKF
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I have just submitted my application for this. Any idea when we find out if we have got an interview? Also is there anyone else who is switching from teaching to do this?

isabelmary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Has anyone completed this course before? There doesn't seem to be much information in regards to it. Does anyone know if you can do it in Liverpool City Centre?

Thanks,
Hayleybobs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SJKF)
Hi,

I have just submitted my application for this. Any idea when we find out if we have got an interview? Also is there anyone else who is switching from teaching to do this?

There is another thread on this site where there a couple of teachers switching. I am switching from being a SENCo. The thread is called Step Up to Social Work 2018. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4576504
Robster007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I am switching from primary to this...if I can get in!
jclapp10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,Does anybody know anything about the assessment stage? I have an interview soon and was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on what to expect?Cheers
Robster007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anyone going to the Assessment Day on Thursday 6th July in Bristol at UWE and would be able to give me a lift??I'm having travel issues at the minute and would really appreciate it as I am travelling from N.Ireland! It starts at 12.45 but I'm happy to be there early. I will repay with lots of coffee! Thanks.
Yesitsvix
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hinchliffe_e)
hi i have a 2.2 degree however i dont have a masters however i have 3 years teaching experience as a unqualified teacher and lots of voluntary project work experience. can i apply?
You must have either a 2:1 or a 2:2 with a post grad in education.
Jenny1984
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Robster007)
Is anyone going to the Assessment Day on Thursday 6th July in Bristol at UWE and would be able to give me a lift??I'm having travel issues at the minute and would really appreciate it as I am travelling from N.Ireland! It starts at 12.45 but I'm happy to be there early. I will repay with lots of coffee! Thanks.
Hey Robster! Hope your well, I have just come across this thread and I was really keen to find out how you got on? Did you end up going to the assessment day (appreciate this was quite a while ago now lol). I am due to have my assessment centre day for this year intake and would love to get some advice on how to approach the day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed