The Student Room Group

Drop Triple Science?

Well, I knew I did awful in my mocks but I didn't know I did that bad in it.
Today my science teacher suggested to me that i'll get higher in Double Science.
But I don't really want to go into double science even though I would probably do better. The people in those classes are just..ugh.
So, i've got to make my mind up by tomorrow.
Would a C even be bad in Triple science?
I just want to do the course...but it I don't know.
And, I think I can do I think I can get a B in it so what should I do?
(edited 8 years ago)
If you can get a B in it, then don't drop it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
If you can get a B in it, then don't drop it.

I've never got a B in any Triple exam i've taken. But i'm pretty sure I can get it if I actually revise really hard.
Original post by 0lut0
I've never got a B in any Triple exam i've taken. But i'm pretty sure I can get it if I actually revise really hard.

do it then :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Mayhem™
do it then :smile:

I don't know...my weakest part of science is chemistry. I'm scared that I might really mess up chemistry if I continue triple.
I'll be fine in Biology and Physics, I'm 100% at it.
Reply 5
Original post by 0lut0
Today my science teacher suggested to me that i'll get higher in Double Science.
But I don't really want to go into double science even though I would probably do better. The people in those classes are just..ugh.
So, i've got to make my mind up by tomorrow.
Would a C even be bad in Triple science?
I just want to do the course...but it I don't know.

mate it depends on what you want to do at a levels/ uni
if you want to take a science for a level then it'll be best to do double as you'll be more likely to get a higher grade. At my school you require at least a B grade or above in the science you want to take AND all your sciences so you wouldnt wanna mess up at GCSE cos you may regret it later on.
Also believe me people who did double science for gcse are more than capable of doing it for alevel (its not like they are doing btec) and I know loads of people who took double science and are doing sciences at a levels, dont think your gunna be behind because you wont.
Coming to think about it GCSEs where just made to decide wether a person is capable of doing a certain a level subject or not so its not as if youll fail at life if you do badly in the mocks... (but how you respond does)

At the end it doesnt matter what class your in just try and get a B grade or above then it should be cool.
Original post by 0lut0

Hi,

So, I am now an A level student and I used to do double science. (I had no choice). I was told that I would get wonderful grades with AQA and told by teachers that I would get an A*. I got a C. (1 mark off a B) I am very studious, so the result was very disappointing. However, when my grades were broken down, I had: Biology - B Chemistry - C Physics - B. I was still happy until I went to college enrolment. They said that they didn't care what my separate grades were and that only the general grade would be taken into account, and even discounted the fact I was one grade off. I love biology, and I fought hard to try and get on that course, but instead I was given Psychology and Economics alongside my other chosen courses. It is awful, and it is really expensive to re-take a science GCSE in a private institution. I wanted to do medicine, but I doubt that will ever be a reality now.

From what I have seen in triple science is that: firstly, you get separate qualifications, which are good with college. Secondly, even if there is a large amount of content, it is really interesting! I wish they let me take it. There are a lot of overlaps with double science, so you can still revise with friends, etc. Of course, if you do not want to pursue anything in the science sector, then it is up to you.
Reply 7
Original post by clucky_chick
Hi,

So, I am now an A level student and I used to do double science. (I had no choice). I was told that I would get wonderful grades with AQA and told by teachers that I would get an A*. I got a C. (1 mark off a B) I am very studious, so the result was very disappointing. However, when my grades were broken down, I had: Biology - B Chemistry - C Physics - B. I was still happy until I went to college enrolment. They said that they didn't care what my separate grades were and that only the general grade would be taken into account, and even discounted the fact I was one grade off. I love biology, and I fought hard to try and get on that course, but instead I was given Psychology and Economics alongside my other chosen courses. It is awful, and it is really expensive to re-take a science GCSE in a private institution. I wanted to do medicine, but I doubt that will ever be a reality now.

From what I have seen in triple science is that: firstly, you get separate qualifications, which are good with college. Secondly, even if there is a large amount of content, it is really interesting! I wish they let me take it. There are a lot of overlaps with double science, so you can still revise with friends, etc. Of course, if you do not want to pursue anything in the science sector, then it is up to you.

Did you revise hard and still end up with a C?
Reply 8
Original post by 0lut0

Hi,

You can get an A , my friend, if you work really really hard from now.
If you need help ask me please . Tips, advice, help etc,
Reply 9
Put some elbow grease into it and I'm sure anyone can get an A*. There are thousands of resources online as well to aid you(YouTube, Bitesize, DocBrown).
Reply 10
Alright guys, thanks for the help. I've made my mind up. I'm going to keep Triple science and just bang out revision from now tbh.
I'm really freaking out now.
Reply 11
Original post by 0lut0
Alright guys, thanks for the help. I've made my mind up. I'm going to keep Triple science and just bang out revision from now tbh.
I'm really freaking out now.

Don't worry ! Work hard and you'll feel confident.
You can do this! Believe in yourself and say Yes I can do this. Attitude is number one.
Number 2 - work for it
Reply 12
If you work hard it shouldn't be a problem. I'm doing triple science atm as well and I did my chemistry exams last year. I had a lot of personal issues at that time and I was out of lesson a lot. I'm not the brightest student at all and I was terrible with the maths In chemistry especially in C3. With just a little over two weeks of revision I came out with a B. That was all with hard work, I kept my phone off and just worked really hard. You can do it and just try and go over the work as soon as you've been taught a topic. That way it is easier and you keep on top of it. Best of luck. You can do it :smile: ma
Original post by 0lut0

OP, I'll give you something : http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

Honestly, forget revising from books. 1) It's hard, 2) It's not engaging.

I'm not even kidding you. Revise. That's all you need to do... and watch the videos.
There is nothing that you can't do if you put your mind to it. Force yourself to understand the things you can't (watching the videos help), and practice your skills on past papers. Don't fret x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
If you can get higher in double, do double, nobody will give a **** in 5 years but colleges will and having As looks better than Bs when applying to the few top universities who will take it slightly into account
Reply 15
Original post by Edward_PoshPonce
OP, I'll give you something : http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

Honestly, forget revising from books. 1) It's hard, 2) It's not engaging.

I'm not even kidding you. Revise. That's all you need to do... and watch the videos.
There is nothing that you can't do if you put your mind to it. Force yourself to understand the things you can't (watching the videos help), and practice your skills on past papers. Don't fret x

YUP it's great! :-)
Original post by 0lut0

Yes, it was extremely irritating. My science teacher left halfway through the course, and we were given supply teachers all year, so I requested to have extra revision sessions with my Year 10 teacher. We went through all the work, and I did every past paper, which when graded was A*/A/B. Coursework (if you still have it, with GCSE's changing last year) is extremely important. Try and get the highest grade possible, and if you end up with a mediocre grade request to re-do them. That is what I did in Year 10. My year 10 result ended up as a B. It was my Year 11 which ruined it.

Please, do not let this put you off, just make sure you choose the right course for you. My friend did brilliantly in hers, so mine was probably from fatigue and stress causing a lower grade. May I ask what you want to do after high school? That would make it easier for me to tell you the significance of a C in triples. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest