Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else have to do the question yesterday "outline and evaluate 2 theories of human altruism" and wonder which theories we were meant to use? I always thought that altruism was totally unselfish behaviour with no gain to the helper so thought that latane and darley, piliavin and negative state relief couldn't be used because they're egoistic theories and not altruistic, so ended up roughly outlining the empathy altruism and making up another theory. after the exam my teacher said i could have used any of the others but i'm sure they're not altruistic so now im confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    Did anyone else have to do the question yesterday "outline and evaluate 2 theories of human altruism" and wonder which theories we were meant to use? I always thought that altruism was totally unselfish behaviour with no gain to the helper so thought that latane and darley, piliavin and negative state relief couldn't be used because they're egoistic theories and not altruistic, so ended up roughly outlining the empathy altruism and making up another theory. after the exam my teacher said i could have used any of the others but i'm sure they're not altruistic so now im confused!
    I spoke about the negative state realese model and the empathy alturism hypothesis. I thought that they were, partly as i remember them being under the alturistic behaviour section in the book and the negative state relaese model still is to do with alturistic behaviour it just says that humans do it for selfish reasons, rather than being truley alturistic.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.