The Student Room Group

Did anyone see a bully become sucessful?

I just finished watching 'The Gift', and it got me thinking, though I was never bullied, I saw some 'smart kids' take advantage of shy, less educated kids, these weren't your stereotypical, u wot m8 i'll get me nan on you type of bullies, I mean the bully I saw was popular, charismatic, smart, and tbh as much as you disliked him he was bound to get somewhere in life, from what I'm hearing now the guy is now studying at a top university but he still is as ruthless as ever.

Did any of you have any bullies who weren't just kids who weren't really going to places, but people that seem like no matter how bad they were they'd still be able to make it?

Scroll to see replies

Sadly. He's now studying dentistry at KCL :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by dniy-10
I just finished watching 'The Gift', and it got me thinking, though I was never bullied, I saw some 'smart kids' take advantage of shy, less educated kids, these weren't your stereotypical, u wot m8 i'll get me nan on you type of bullies, I mean the bully I saw was popular, charismatic, smart, and tbh as much as you disliked him he was bound to get somewhere in life, from what I'm hearing now the guy is now studying at a top university but he still is as ruthless as ever.

Did any of you have any bullies who weren't just kids who weren't really going to places, but people that seem like no matter how bad they were they'd still be able to make it?

Original post by Anonymous

Are these the manipulative kind of bullies, rather than, say physical bullies? Isn't their behaviour a slight extreme of what people see in successful, professionals? You know the dominant kind? Obviously, I'm overgeneralising, but do you get where I'm coming from?
Original post by Tpos
Are these the manipulative kind of bullies, rather than, say physical bullies? Isn't their behaviour a slight extreme of what people see in successful, professionals? You know the dominant kind? Obviously, I'm overgeneralising, but do you get where I'm coming from?

Of course, and it made me think, these bullies are manipulative and often lack little compassion, unlike physical bullies, I think these bullies could do a lot more damage to peoples well beings, and when people see that they are sucessful, what are they bound to think?
I know this one girl who used to bully one of my friends. My mate was an average student but the bully was a straight A* student even though she had a boyfriend and she went out and did drugs a lot. On results day, my friend got As and Bs with a C and the bully got like 6 As and 6 A*s and then moved to a REALLY competitive school. She's still with her bf (who is a douchebag in terms of personality) and recently I heard that she got an offer from Oxford and Durham or something (I doubt that for some reason because I remember reading the Oxford offers come later on or something so idk). That bully was charismatic, she was smart, she was manipulative and two faced.

It depends on what happens really.

One girl I know was bullied REALLY badly by a gang of girls in my year. They used to call her a slut and send her abuse. Three years on, the girl's had offers from amazing universities to do Vet Med, the girls in the gang have either dropped out of school, turned pregnant or done badly in A levels.

Karma's a bitch someday I guess.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dniy-10

Bullies that physically assault you etc. are the ones who usually become refuse collectors, unemployed etc. (i.e. scum). But a person who is manipulative and bullies you with his/her intelligence and charm are likely to end up as politicians and managing directors.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I know this one girl who used to bully one of my friends. My mate was an average student but the bully was a straight A* student even though she had a boyfriend and she went out and did drugs a lot. On results day, my friend got As and Bs with a C and the bully got like 6 As and 6 A*s and then moved to a REALLY competitive school. She's still with her bf and recently I heard that she got an offer from Oxford and Durham or something (I doubt that for some reason because I remember reading the Oxford offers come later on or something so idk). That bully was charismatic, she was smart, she was manipulative and two faced.

It depends on what happens really.

One girl I know was bullied REALLY badly by a gang of girls in my year. They used to call her a slut and send her abuse. Three years on, the girl's had offers from amazing universities to do Vet Med, the girls in the gang have either dropped out of school, turned pregnant or done badly in A levels.

Karma's a bitch someday I guess.

Wouldn't it be fun if girl #1 missed her Oxford offer xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Karma will still have a plan
Yeah, two of them are doing Dentistry at Leeds
Original post by Tpos
Yes, I suppose so. It just annoys me because he's doing it for the money (has admitted this) and is not a genuine nor kind person.
Reply 10
Yes, I suppose so. It just annoys me because he's doing it for the money (has admitted this) and is not a genuine nor kind person.

Original post by dniy-10
Of course, and it made me think, these bullies are manipulative and often lack little compassion, unlike physical bullies, I think these bullies could do a lot more damage to peoples well beings, and when people see that they are sucessful, what are they bound to think?

It's messed up but my thinking was that it's possibly these characteristics they show that lead them to become successful. And it probably comes in handy when they are managers etc and it is perceived necessary to be ruthless at times.

By the way, what's the gift? a documentary or film or?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. While I certainly saw the stereotypical bullies who ended up doing time and now clean windows, when you go to school with lots of privileged, well off kids, the bullies will reflect their background just as much as the rest of us. One of the worst did what many TSR members dream about but lack the ability .... PPE at Oxford then Magic Circle. Last I heard he was doing some commercial law thing in Hong Kong. Maybe being a right **** at school prepared him well for his future career?
Yes. This kid who bullied and hated me for just being Asian in primary school is now a professional footballer.

Edit- (LMAO the team he's currently on loan with is so ironic)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tpos
It's messed up but my thinking was that it's possibly these characteristics they show that lead them to becoming successful. And it probably comes in handy when they are managers etc and it is perceived necessary to be ruthless at times.

By the way, what's the gift? a documentary or film or?

Yeah, but I don't think I could ever do what they do, and yeah it's a film.
Original post by 0123456543210
Bullies that physically assault you etc. are the ones who usually become refuse collectors, unemployed etc. (i.e. scum). But a person who is manipulative and bullies you with his/her intelligence and charm are likely to end up as politicians and managing directors.

Couldn't imagine that many Labour MPs being school bullies, Ed Miliband, Corbyn etc..
The person who was my worst enemy at high school was clever, he was more liked and would always be mean to me and put me down for no reason.

We ended up having a fight and I totally battered him, wrecking ball like Miley and after that the other people in the group treated me much better, like before he was clearly the guy they all respected, but afterwards that vanished for him.

It was good for me, but I've kept contact with none of the people, they were not really my friends until I had to be harsh so it's hard to see them as friends now.
(edited 8 years ago)
I will try not to be too philosophical, but define "successful". Measuring a person by what university course they got into isn't necessarily success, although I concede the majority of people would view it as such. I'm a medic and tbh, getting past an interview and all the other hurdles doesn't feel like that big of a success. Anyone can get past MMI/panel interviews - I can see that from some of the v. narcissistic people on my course.

Back to the title anyway. I felt like it was unfair when a bully of mine became very wealthy after running a "successful" business (albeit, morally broken business). What I will say is that I can definitely sympathise with some of the people on this thread; I also know some people on medicine and dentistry who can be nasty pieces of work. Manipulative is the word that comes to mind.
There was a bit of a prat at school, who although never bullied me, did bully others. He eventually came out as gay and now has his own successful business. Last time I met him he seemed alright to be honest.
Sadly, I've known one such person. He/she is now studying medicine at Cambridge. :facepalm: Just goes to show that if you curry favour with the right people, you can more or less get away with murder.
Original post by dniy-10

After the most popular kids in school sw her true colours, she was left with only her loyal servants, but still came out with good grades and now goes to a posh sixth form with no-one but her aunty - whose a dinner lady at her college!

hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Student403
Wouldn't it be fun i girl #1 missed her Oxford offer xD

Oh I would laugh if she did. She was very arrogant to me too.

Girls can be so nasty to each other. One of my friends' mum died during GCSE exams and even though the school said she didn't have to take the exams, she still went along and did it. On results day she got decent grades (1 A*,6 As 5 Bs). This really big headed girl I know got higher than her and after that pestered her into saying she wouldn't be able to get into the uni she wanted (both of those girls wanted to go Imperial). Back in the summer, the two girls got the same results and they both applied to Imperial.

The girl whose mum died during GCSEs got an offer from Imperial College back in early December to study Aeronautical Engineering.

The other one got a solid rejection.

Its so satisfying when karma happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending