The Student Room Group

Increasing & Decreasing Functions

Find the values of x for which f(x) is an increasing function, given the f(x) equals:

3+3x3x2+x3 3 + 3x - 3x^2 + x^3
f(x)=36x+3x2 f'(x) = 3 - 6x + 3x^2

Now I've sketched this graph and noticed it has a repeated root at 1 and that is probably why my answer isn't matching up with the answers.
So, Critical values: (x1)(3x3)=0 (x-1)(3x-3) = 0
x>1 x > 1
But this is wrong and the answers show x1 x \not=1 xRx \in \mathbb{R}

What does xER mean? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by Psst.
Find the values of x for which f(x) is an increasing function, given the f(x) equals:

Now I've sketched this graph and noticed it has a repeated root at 1 and that is probably why my answer isn't matching up with the answers.
x>1 x > 1

A function ff is strictly increasing if f>0f' > 0.

In your case, you have f=3(x1)2f' = 3(x-1)^2 - it has a squared term that will always be positive, no matter what. Except... at x=1x=-1 we have f=0f' = 0 which means that the function is stationary there - it's not increasing.

So to summarise we have f>0f' > 0 as long as x1x \neq -1. Whatever other value of xx you wish to substitute into ff' it will always be positive and hence the function will always be increasing.
Reply 3
That made perfect sense.

Thank you Dr Zacken :h:
Original post by Psst.
x

You need to find the values of x where 36x+3x23 - 6x + 3x^2 is >0. You worked out that it has a repeated root at x=1, so why don't you sketch 3x26x+33x^2 - 6x + 3

As for x R (sorry I cannot latex this), I think it literally translates to x is contained in the Real Numbers

So basically x lies on the number line somewhere, so it includes all the integers, fractions, rational numbers, irrational numbers etc
Original post by Psst.

x>1 x > 1

Hi I've seen this phrase on My C3 course :

XER means x can be any real numbers (pi, e, decimals fractions, mixed numbers, integers, etc..)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by DylanJ42

As for x R (sorry I cannot latex this), I think it literally translates to x is contained in the Real Numbers

xR\displaystyle x \in \mathbb{R}
Reply 7
Original post by Psst.

so why don't you sketch 3x26x+33x^2 - 6x + 3

:tongue:

@OP - you're welcome! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
xR\displaystyle x \in \mathbb{R}

Noted, thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
:tongue:

@OP - you're welcome! :smile:

:rofl: didn't read the post properly :facepalm:
Reply 10
:rofl: didn't read the post properly :facepalm:

I once wrote a 5 paragraph post only to realise that I missed a condition in the question that rendered all my working obsolete. So I deleted it.

Spoiler

Reply 11

glad to see you got help as I am teaching until 23.15
Original post by Zacken
I once wrote a 5 paragraph post only to realise that I missed a condition in the question that rendered all my working obsolete. So I deleted it.

Spoiler

Oh my god how horrible, at that stage I probably would have just posted it anyway and typed at the bottom "whoops didn't see the condition" :eek: on the bright side though, you wont be forgetting the method to answering whatever the particular question was any time soon

I'd say 5% of all my answers are slightly off just because I read what I want to read :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest