The Student Room Group

Worried about not having boyfriend

I'm a 17 year old girl and I've never had a boyfriend or even kissed a boy, and I feel so worried that there's something really wrong with me. My friends at college all seem to be in relationships and even though I really want one I know I have no chance of getting a boyfriend. There's this girl and boy in my friendship group who have a really awesome relationship and they keep kissing in front of me, and it makes me feel so alone and kind of jealous, which I know is horrible; I should just be happy for them.

Last year my friend said that I needed to get a boyfriend and I keep thinking about it. Boys always seem to like her, but they never notice me. I have had a crush on a guy my age, but now I'll probably never see him again and I don't think he liked me anyway. My other crushes seem to be on guys older than me in their 20s or early 30s.

The problem is that I'm really shy. I think I've had social anxiety disorder for several years now. I know I just seem like I'm wallowing in self pity, but when I think about it, I don't see why anybody would ever want me. I'm quite depressed and no guy wants a girl who's sad a lot of the time. I'm also not very pretty and have quite bad acne and a big nose. It's just always there are the back of my mind no matter how much I tell myself that I'm very young and have plenty of time to meet the right guy and that I should just be focusing on my studies.

Sorry this went on so long, I just feel like I have to tell someone all of this stuff.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 17 year old girl and I've never had a boyfriend or even kissed a boy, and I feel so worried that there's something really wrong with me. My friends at college all seem to be in relationships and even though I really want one I know I have no chance of getting a boyfriend. There's this girl and boy in my friendship group who have a really awesome relationship and they keep kissing in front of me, and it makes me feel so alone and kind of jealous, which I know is horrible; I should just be happy for them.

Last year my friend said that I needed to get a boyfriend and I keep thinking about it. Boys always seem to like her, but they never notice me. I have had a crush on a guy my age, but now I'll probably never see him again and I don't think he liked me anyway. My other crushes seem to be on guys older than me in their 20s or early 30s.

The problem is that I'm really shy. I think I've had social anxiety disorder for several years now. I know I just seem like I'm wallowing in self pity, but when I think about it, I don't see why anybody would ever want me. I'm quite depressed and no guy wants a girl who's sad a lot of the time. I'm also not very pretty and have quite bad acne and a big nose. It's just always there are the back of my mind no matter how much I tell myself that I'm very young and have plenty of time to meet the right guy and that I should just be focusing on my studies.

Sorry this went on so long, I just feel like I have to tell someone all of this stuff.

You don't "Need" a boyfriend. You are good enough. When the right man comes along, you'll know, and you'll have feelings for him. Some people fall easier. Clearly you have standards, which is good. Some people in my year have had like a different partner every year of secondary school.

There seems to be a misconception that we all have to conform to this relationship 'standard'. The fact is, relationships will happen at the right time with the right people.

Just believe in yourself, focus on getting to know other people and be comfortable in your own skin. It's normal to desire to be in a relationship, but don't feel like that because you're not in one, something is wrong with you. Nothing is wrong with you.

Don't worry about what others think, try and talk to guys you like or think you might like in your year about anything and just be happy getting to know people for now
^ Couldn't have said it better.

Objects in the rear view mirror do appear closer than they are.

Don't do anything for love (but do do "that").
All i need is my hand XD
Original post by shawn_o1
^ Couldn't have said it better.

Objects in the rear view mirror do appear closer than they are.

Don't do anything for love (but do do "that":wink:.

Aw thanks bud.

Objects in the rear view mirror appear closer than they are? I need to remember that for my driving test xD
Are you in first or second year of college? because if you are in your first year then there is plenty of time find a boyfriend. I say this because at the start of college there was only two of about 13 of my friends who had girlfriends now about 10 have girlfriends.

Your post describes me perfectly at 17! It's like you're surrounded by couples and there's so much pressure and so little chance.

When I moved to uni, I realised I was surrounded by some idiotic first-years who were still very immature, but also some more mature second and third years who had been through the idiotic stage and come out the other side. Those are the guys you want to be looking at; the ones who can cook for themselves and work out how to use a washing machine instead of taking everything home to Mum.

I think that, just as I was, you are surrounded by immature guys who are yet to understand that love is more than looks. Sometimes it can be handy to have had 'practise', but if both parties are mature enough then none of that matters.

November 2014 I met a 2nd year (at the end of my freshers) who was just as nervous and inexperienced as me and we are still together today and hope to be for a good few years yet.. I've never felt so comfortable and secure and I'm so glad that I didn't have any 'practise'!
Reply 7
Original post by Snazzyzebra
You don't "Need" a boyfriend. You are good enough. When the right man comes along, you'll know, and you'll have feelings for him. Some people fall easier. Clearly you have standards, which is good. Some people in my year have had like a different partner every year of secondary school.

There seems to be a misconception that we all have to conform to this relationship 'standard'. The fact is, relationships will happen at the right time with the right people.

Just believe in yourself, focus on getting to know other people and be comfortable in your own skin. It's normal to desire to be in a relationship, but don't feel like that because you're not in one, something is wrong with you. Nothing is wrong with you.

Don't worry about what others think, try and talk to guys you like or think you might like in your year about anything and just be happy getting to know people for now

Aww thx so much :smile: I'll try and talk to guys, but I get quite shy as I said. I know it's good to go out of my comfort zone. I'll try not to worry. Thanks so much for the reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by KingKoala
Are you in first or second year of college? because if you are in your first year then there is plenty of time find a boyfriend. I say this because at the start of college there was only two of about 13 of my friends who had girlfriends now about 10 have girlfriends.

I'm in my second year. I'm hoping I'll find someone when I go to uni next year. This is why I feel so sad about it though, because I feel like I should have one by now. Thanks for you reply :smile:
I'm in my second year. I'm hoping I'll find someone when I go to uni next year. This is why I feel so sad about it though, because I feel like I should have one by now. Thanks for you reply :smile:

Ah okay, I'm in my second year too, good luck with the future :smile:
Aww thx so much :smile: I'll try and talk to guys, but I get quite shy as I said. I know it's good to go out of my comfort zone. I'll try not to worry. Thanks so much for the reply :smile:

No problemo. If you have any other Q's do feel free to drop me a message. Although, I don't login very often but when I do it's a bit of a binge. Ciaoooooo :smile:
Original post by carrotstar
Your post describes me perfectly at 17! It's like you're surrounded by couples and there's so much pressure and so little chance.

When I moved to uni, I realised I was surrounded by some idiotic first-years who were still very immature, but also some more mature second and third years who had been through the idiotic stage and come out the other side. Those are the guys you want to be looking at; the ones who can cook for themselves and work out how to use a washing machine instead of taking everything home to Mum.

I think that, just as I was, you are surrounded by immature guys who are yet to understand that love is more than looks. Sometimes it can be handy to have had 'practise', but if both parties are mature enough then none of that matters.

November 2014 I met a 2nd year (at the end of my freshers) who was just as nervous and inexperienced as me and we are still together today and hope to be for a good few years yet.. I've never felt so comfortable and secure and I'm so glad that I didn't have any 'practise'!

Thanks for the reply :smile: I'm glad you managed to find someone. I hope I'll find a boy next year. I think it might be part of the problem, because most of the guys at my college are quite immature and I wouldn't want to date them.
Original post by KingKoala
Ah okay, I'm in my second year too, good luck with the future :smile:

Original post by Snazzyzebra
No problemo. If you have any other Q's do feel free to drop me a message. Although, I don't login very often but when I do it's a bit of a binge. Ciaoooooo :smile:

Thanks, thats really nice of you :smile: byee :smile:

I can relate you considering I am a shy, quiet girl with probable social anxiety.

Don't let it get it you down. I don't have a boyfriend either, but I wouldn't want one anyway for various reasons. I don't ever plan to have one. Anyway, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm certain you'll find someone who likes you for your personality, and finds you attractive.

You should focus on your studies, but if you want a boyfriend then you have to put yourself out there to show that you're interested and available. You have plenty of time. :smile:
I can relate you considering I am a shy, quiet girl with probable social anxiety.

Don't let it get it you down. I don't have a boyfriend either, but I wouldn't want one anyway for various reasons. I don't ever plan to have one. Anyway, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm certain you'll find someone who likes you for your personality, and finds you attractive.

You should focus on your studies, but if you want a boyfriend then you have to put yourself out there to show that you're interested and available. You have plenty of time. :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: When I go to uni I will try to put myself out there more. Recently my social anxiety has slowly been getting better and I'm going to get counselling soon, so it should be much better by then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending