AHill15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been in Brussels for my compulsory Erasmus year since September, and I hate it. I went on Erasmus really looking forward to experience a francophone environment and learn French fluently. I've loved French since school, hence why I chose Law and French degree, because I didn't want to leave it.

I've arrived in Belgium on my own with no-one from my uni. I've been to the Erasmus parties, joined the MUN society and been away with some people, but I just hate it. My friendships haven't clicked; I feel very isolated, I don't know anyone, I rarely talk to people and I don't have any small classes or seminars only lectures to meet other people. I live in francophone halls, and the rest of the floor exclude me because I can't keep up with the conversation.

I hate all my classes. My University makes me take a strict law curriculum eventhough we've had no classes in French law before I arrived, hence I can understand my lectures as they contain complex legal french.

I realise I'm so lucky to have this experience but I just can't bear the idea of going back for another semester. What do I do?
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel pretty similar regarding my erasmus year. It doesn't help that everyone talks so much about how it was 'the best year of their life' which piles on pressure to enjoy it. I've been making travel plans as much as possible (day trips by myself, trips to visit a friend from home who's across the other side of the country etc.) so all I can really say it try to keep busy
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AHill15)
I've been in Brussels for my compulsory Erasmus year since September, and I hate it. I went on Erasmus really looking forward to experience a francophone environment and learn French fluently. I've loved French since school, hence why I chose Law and French degree, because I didn't want to leave it.

I've arrived in Belgium on my own with no-one from my uni. I've been to the Erasmus parties, joined the MUN society and been away with some people, but I just hate it. My friendships haven't clicked; I feel very isolated, I don't know anyone, I rarely talk to people and I don't have any small classes or seminars only lectures to meet other people. I live in francophone halls, and the rest of the floor exclude me because I can't keep up with the conversation.

I hate all my classes. My University makes me take a strict law curriculum eventhough we've had no classes in French law before I arrived, hence I can understand my lectures as they contain complex legal french.

I realise I'm so lucky to have this experience but I just can't bear the idea of going back for another semester. What do I do?
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
I feel pretty similar regarding my erasmus year. It doesn't help that everyone talks so much about how it was 'the best year of their life' which piles on pressure to enjoy it. I've been making travel plans as much as possible (day trips by myself, trips to visit a friend from home who's across the other side of the country etc.) so all I can really say it try to keep busy
I've been in a similar situation-I did my year abroad in China two years ago and when I first when out there, I absolutely hated it. I really struggled with the language and I was constantly stared at and being spoken about because I was obviously foreign. It was absolutely hell and I could have easily gone home during my two months off, however my parents strictly forbade me from leaving Asia as a whole before the academic year ended and I'm so glad it ended like that. 2nd semester really picked up and I ended up loving the year.

What I'm saying is, what you're feeling is completely normal, even in a country so culturally similar to the UK. Stay out there and don't come back to the UK, otherwise nothing will improve. Try and find some friends outside your dorms and make sure you speak French for the majority of every day. You'll look back on it and realise it was the best year of your life-that's what happened with me, and ultimately I'm planning on permanently moving out to east Asia
hannahboylan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel the same way! I came to france in september, and just got back after christmas to discover all my friends have left. Im constantly on my own and despite making efforts to go out, meet people etc, I'm constantly isolated. to make matters worse, the uni is horrendous and such basic work i feel as though Im wasting time being here. I don't have nay advice as I'm currently trying to work through this myself, but just know you're not alone!
iwantharvard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AHill15)

marasmus? fam u wann get faaaaaat?
liskers 101
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (135)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.81%
Not great so far... (273)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.58%

Watched Threads