Information Technology – Course Ambassador Q&A

Watch
Parth at MDX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone!

My name is Parth, I am in my second year studying Information Technology at Middlesex University. I am the Course Ambassador for this course, so feel free to ask any questions about this course specifically or other courses surrounding this subject area.

EDIT- I will also be posting weekly updates of my week on here, this is to show what the weeks are like in a bit more detail.

Parth
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Information Technology.
Saleemadat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Parth at MDX)
Hello everyone!

My name is Parth, I am in my second year studying Information Technology at Middlesex University. I am the Course Ambassador for this course, so feel free to ask any questions about this course specifically or other courses surrounding this subject area.

Parth
Information Technology.
Hi
Hopefully i'll be doing computer science next year at middlesex, however I am quite scared of exams, because I haven't done exams for two years as I am a Btec Student doing Btec IT level 3.

What is the Exam/Coursework Ratio?

how is first year like?
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Hello there,

I study Information Technology so i cannot say for sure how the first year is, most students i have met on the course seem to be enjoying it.

Don't worry, i was also a BTEC student and i felt the same, if you just work at it and make sure you revise you will be absolutely fine!

About the exam/coursework ratio, i have linked below a page; go all the way to the bottom for the graph you're looking for.

Hope this helps

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjec...51FT-144I102K3

Parth
Information Technology
Ogulcan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi parth, unfortunately i cant attend today regarding family problems
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
That's OK, if you have any questions just ask them here.

Parth
Information Technology
Saleemadat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you Parth
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
No worries!

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Hello everyone,

This is a weekly update on what I have been doing on my course this week.

This week, uni has been busy! For one of my modules, I had to create the HTML coding for a tourism website we are creating. This coursework is completed in 3 steps, first the HTML, then the CSS and lastly there will be the Java to finish it off. On Monday, I had to hand in the HTML part which I had been doing over the Christmas break. Apart from that, I have been working on my portfolio for the BIS module. This portfolio will be full of work I have been doing since the start of the academic year. This includes a variety of things, mostly UML diagrams such as Class diagrams and Activity diagrams. In another module (ITX2020) we have begun our second piece of coursework; this coursework is based on coding using only command line interface. Also, the coding will have to be done on the Ubuntu operating system. The first coursework was done using command line interface on Windows; We access Ubuntu via windows using VMware.

Thanks for reading!

Parth
Information Technology.
Saleemadat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello everyone,

This is a weekly update on what I have been doing on my course this week.

This week, uni has been busy! For one of my modules, I had to create the HTML coding for a tourism website we are creating. This coursework is completed in 3 steps, first the HTML, then the CSS and lastly there will be the Java to finish it off. On Monday, I had to hand in the HTML part which I had been doing over the Christmas break. Apart from that, I have been working on my portfolio for the BIS module. This portfolio will be full of work I have been doing since the start of the academic year. This includes a variety of things, mostly UML diagrams such as Class diagrams and Activity diagrams. In another module (ITX2020) we have begun our second piece of coursework; this coursework is based on coding using only command line interface. Also, the coding will have to be done on the Ubuntu operating system. The first coursework was done using command line interface on Windows; We access Ubuntu via windows using VMware.

Thanks for reading!

Parth
Information Technology.

Sounds fun,

I wonder what i'll be doing during Computer science
edvardgal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Parth,
I received offer from MDX on computer forensics course. I just wanted to ask, how many days approximately week is study ?
Thanks, for your time)
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Hello,

I cannot give you a certain answer but approximately 3-4 days as most of it will be independent study.

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 25th Jan- 29th Jan

This week, I had a assignment due for the ITX2020 module, I got it checked by my teacher and handed it in Monday afternoon. Never good to wait until the last minute to upload because if others are doing the same the system will crash. This coursework was about identifying a 3 way handshake on wire shark and a cost benefit analysis on a given case study. Later on that day, we were practising CSS since we will need to add that to our website for the CSD module, the CSS is due end of next week. On Tuesday, I had to start learning commands in Ubuntu, this was rather enjoyable as i have never used Ubuntu before and especially not only using command line interface. On Wednesday, we learnt about sequence diagrams for the business information technology module, I had to construct one using a given case study.

Thanks for reading.

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 1st Feb- 7th Feb

This week has been fully concentrating on finishing the portfolio for BIS, it is due on the 12th of February. Mostly, I have spent time finishing the diagrams required for the portfolio to be complete; this consists of a use case diagram, activity diagram, sequence diagram and class diagram. Also, the CSS coursework is due for the 14th of February: need to finish this too. This coursework consists of finishing all the CSS for the tourism website I am creating; after that is complete I can focus on the Java aspect. Apart from those two modules, the rest has been going smoothly.

Parth
Information Technology
SonerNotALoner
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey there Parth, I have received an offer from Middlesex and Greenwich and to be honest I am not really sure on which university I should end up going to. So far I think I will be ending up in The University of Greenwich because of what I have heard about Middlesex from a student which I used to know from my sixth form. He had dropped out from Middlesex on his first year and he said the reason why he had dropped out was because he believed that he never got enough support to understand Computer Science as a whole and was not educated enough about the basics of Computer Science at the beginning before starting to work on the modules of the first year. I would like to know if what he was saying to me is true?

Soner Colak
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Hello there,
With all due respect, I would have to disagree with your friend, I have always received the necessary support and have never had an issue with getting extra help. If I have a problem and I email my lecturers; they always get back to me in a reasonable time frame. Plus, you can schedule meeting with them to get extra help whenever you are struggling.

Hope this helps.

Parth
Information Technology
Saleemadat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello there,
With all due respect, I would have to disagree with your friend, I have always received the necessary support and have never had an issue with getting extra help. If I have a problem and I email my lecturers; they always get back to me in a reasonable time frame. Plus, you can schedule meeting with them to get extra help whenever you are struggling.

Hope this helps.

Parth
Information Technology
Thank you, that has motivated me.
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 8th February- 12th February.

Hello everyone, so this is the weekly update, sorry it is slightly late this week it has been a hectic week. There were two deadlines due this week. First one was for BIS, our business module. For this, we had to create a portfolio about what we have been doing and learning over the last 16 weeks; there were also UML diagrams we had to include. UML stands for unified modelling language, it is used within information systems to present functional requirements in a visual way. The other deadline was for the CSS styling of my tourism website. Apart from uni work, i was working the open day at Middlesex University on Saturday, there is also an applicant day coming up for anyone doing a course within the computing cluster; it is on the 27th of February. This week, we are starting the group coursework and beginning revision for the BIS module, these two things account for about 60% of our final grade so i will be working hard for the next new weeks.

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 15th February-19th February.

This week has been mostly starting the next part of each course, starting the new coursework for each. This being said, it has been more of a relaxing week. There is a coursework due for next Sunday so I am trying to get started on it as soon as possible as we only have 2 weeks for this one. Spending most free time revising for the upcoming exam which I believe is in the last week on April; official date has not yet been released. Not much to report this week so will leave it at that for now.

Thanks for reading.

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 21-26th February

This week has been just full on programming, writing JavaScript and debugging all the new code took up most of my week. Eventually I completed it, nothing feels as good completing and debugging a difficult bit of code! After completing that i made a start on completing some group coursework i have to complete for the business module, the deadline for this is going to be the 18th of March; The most difficult bit is getting everyone in the group together so that we may complete is as a group. After this is completed i will get a nice little break to relax!

Parth
Information Technology
Parth at MDX
Rep:
?
Weekly Update 27th February - 5th March

After completing and uploading the JavaScript i completed last week, I had to power through the group coursework, that was completed after a couple of group meeting and drawing UML diagrams together. This week I enjoyed a short break and then started my next piece of coursework, for this coursework we are learning about Ubuntu and learning some basic commands within Ubuntu. I have to memorise these commands and show my tutor i can successfully complete them on the 22nd of March.

Parth
Information Technology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.53%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.18%

Watched Threads