Avshon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How is the AQA English lit paper set out and how do I go about doing one.
Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are two different papers, and it depends on which 'route' you're doing as to which unit your second paper is. Unit 1 is the same for everyone so I'll summarise that one.

For Unit 1 you'll need unannotated copies of the texts. There are two text that you'll have studied (we're doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men). The first section will roughly 20 questions in total, you have to find the text you've studied and you'll have a choice of two questions - choose one that you can think of a few different points for, write a brief plan so you can decide what paragraphs to write. You can write a short introduction (I'm not sure if you need one or not) then about four or five main paragraphs. Stick to one main point and use a PEE/PEA/PEARL structure. Try to analyse a relevant quote in each paragraph - because of the short amount of time, I'd suggest you choose a quote that you can write a couple of in-depth sentences about and link to your point easily. Finish your essay with a conclusion.

For the second section, there will again be lots of questions, so find the text you've studied. I haven't done any exam questions on this section, but I think the question is in two parts. I think this section assesses AO4 (relating texts to their social, cultural and historicalcontexts), which the first section doesn't.

If you have the unit 2 (poetry) exam, for the first section you'll have a choice of two questions from the cluster of poetry you've studied (the anthology is split into about 4 clusters, you study one cluster) and you have to compare two poems - one named in the question, and the other, you choose. The second section is unseen poetry - you will be given a poem you haven't studied before (you should recognise the poet and what they usually write about though) and you have to write about content, theme, structure, rhyme,rhythm and use of language. If you're doing/have done a controlled assessment on poetry, you'll have an exam on shakespeare and another text, but if you had the shakespeare CA, you'll have this poetry exam.

That was really just a summary, I'd imagine you have a mock exam? Make sure you know which unit you're doing and revise that. My info might be inaccurate as I've only done a Unit 1 Section A exam so far...
Avshon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Lelanor)
There are two different papers, and it depends on which 'route' you're doing as to which unit your second paper is. Unit 1 is the same for everyone so I'll summarise that one.

For Unit 1 you'll need unannotated copies of the texts. There are two text that you'll have studied (we're doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men). The first section will roughly 20 questions in total, you have to find the text you've studied and you'll have a choice of two questions - choose one that you can think of a few different points for, write a brief plan so you can decide what paragraphs to write. You can write a short introduction (I'm not sure if you need one or not) then about four or five main paragraphs. Stick to one main point and use a PEE/PEA/PEARL structure. Try to analyse a relevant quote in each paragraph - because of the short amount of time, I'd suggest you choose a quote that you can write a couple of in-depth sentences about and link to your point easily. Finish your essay with a conclusion.

For the second section, there will again be lots of questions, so find the text you've studied. I haven't done any exam questions on this section, but I think the question is in two parts. I think this section assesses AO4 (relating texts to their social, cultural and historicalcontexts), which the first section doesn't.

If you have the unit 2 (poetry) exam, for the first section you'll have a choice of two questions from the cluster of poetry you've studied (the anthology is split into about 4 clusters, you study one cluster) and you have to compare two poems - one named in the question, and the other, you choose. The second section is unseen poetry - you will be given a poem you haven't studied before (you should recognise the poet and what they usually write about though) and you have to write about content, theme, structure, rhyme,rhythm and use of language. If you're doing/have done a controlled assessment on poetry, you'll have an exam on shakespeare and another text, but if you had the shakespeare CA, you'll have this poetry exam.

That was really just a summary, I'd imagine you have a mock exam? Make sure you know which unit you're doing and revise that. My info might be inaccurate as I've only done a Unit 1 Section A exam so far...
Thank you very much . I am doing my mocks now and I'm doing my entire GCSE's a year early. My teacher has never given us a full paper so I don't know how to do one. We have however done plenty of section two's. We're doing Rabat proof Fence, and Touching the Void, there is an extract from one of them for the first part of the question and the second part is on the rest of the book.

If that helps good, if not oh well, but I thank you again and wish you luck on your own exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads