The Student Room Group

I'm planning to fail uni exams

Currently I'm in the process of failing fourth year university exams, they are less than 10 days away and I'm not even scared. Which is what's upsetting me. Why do I not care anymore? In previous years I would be ****ting it. Am I just not cut out for university? *sobs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If they 'lose' your papers you get a predicted mark.
To come all the way to fourth year and then lose it all on purpose seems very sad :frown: Have you spoken to any of your tutors about how you're feeling?
is it a MSc year maybe you got your degree you dust feel it dosn't matter any more or like me you just feel burnt out just push on it'll all be over soon then you will miss it for the rest of your life
Reply 4
Original post by Someguy777
Currently I'm in the process of failing fourth year university exams, they are less than 10 days away and I'm not even scared. Which is what's upsetting me. Why do I not care anymore? In previous years I would be ****ting it. Am I just not cut out for university? *sobs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't you get a gp letter saying you aren't emotionally well and take the exam another time.
Besides, you just get taken off the masters course and get a normal BSc if its an integrated masters.
Reply 6
I've spoken to them about it and their advice was give it your best shot, but mitigating circumstances won't really mean much if your fail all.
Reply 7
It's an msc but I did a placement in year three so I don't have a degree yet
Reply 8
It won't help if I fail all the exams
Reply 9
I can but I did a placement so this is equivalent of year 3 of the bsc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've spoken to them about it and their advice was give it your best shot, but mitigating circumstances won't really mean much if your fail all.

Mitigating circumstances, could mean you can repeat the exams or write them at another time. You should both begin to prepare and talk to the doctors (get it, give to your uni, no matter, whether they let you repeat or not), ... Look in the regulations of your universities. (Don't know how you get graded, whether you can repeat or not (student finance can get prolonged in case of illness), etc.)

You do not sound normal and hence their should be a solution. It will be easier, if you already have a history of ilness, but please try, before just failing and doing noting. Can you repeat in case you fail?
What's the real, root problem here? Procrastination? Nerves? Not knowing the information? Other circumstances? You've come this far so you're obviously capable. If you don't put in maximum effort now you'll have nothing to show for it all. Take deep breaths, calm down, and work out what you need to do to give it your best shot. Everyone feels like this at some point - you're almost there, just a little bit further to go. Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Nathanielle
Mitigating circumstances, could mean you can repeat the exams or write them at another time. You should both begin to prepare and talk to the doctors (get it, give to your uni, no matter, whether they let you repeat or not), ... Look in the regulations of your universities. (Don't know how you get graded, whether you can repeat or not (student finance can get prolonged in case of illness), etc.)

You do not sound normal and hence their should be a solution. It will be easier, if you already have a history of ilness, but please try, before just failing and doing noting. Can you repeat in case you fail?

I've been to a doctors and they keep talking about depression, I've had some history of things that have happened, but its all in the past now.

Everytime i think its depression i just feel like im lying to myself because nothing in my life should be doing this to me, i've felt a lot worse and had to deal with a lot more in the past.

I can't redo a year because i risk losing the ability to get student finance for my masters year, i risk losing my offer from my placement, i risk losing the "hons" in my degree.

I cant reschedule my exams next semester, its very unlikely i'll get imcs, i hate using the imc card. I've had to do it for coursework and i dont want to use it. Ive also been told that for exams imcs come around easy.
Reply 13
Original post by Duncan2012
What's the real, root problem here? Procrastination? Nerves? Not knowing the information? Other circumstances? You've come this far so you're obviously capable. If you don't put in maximum effort now you'll have nothing to show for it all. Take deep breaths, calm down, and work out what you need to do to give it your best shot. Everyone feels like this at some point - you're almost there, just a little bit further to go. Good luck!

I dont know *sobs* im obviously not cut out for this. Others on my course just seem to be getting on with everything and i just can't do that. I now can't seem to see a future for myself.
Reply 14
Original post by chikane
Can't you get a gp letter saying you aren't emotionally well and take the exam another time.

I've been told this is unlikely enough to say that it wont happen.
I've been told this is unlikely enough to say that it wont happen.

You sound depressed and you need help seriously talk to your gp and fill in one of those extenuating circumstance form and sort yourself out.
You are in 4th year dont throw it away now after all the hard work you have done.
Reply 16
Original post by chikane
You sound depressed and you need help seriously talk to your gp and fill in one of those extenuating circumstance form and sort yourself out.
You are in 4th year dont throw it away now after all the hard work you have done.

I have done so and im tempted. I dont know what my issue is, but i just can't work right now or particularly want to, i'm not scared either, yet i know i should be as there is a lot hanging on each set of exams i do from now on.
I've been to a doctors and they keep talking about depression, I've had some history of things that have happened, but its all in the past now.

Everytime i think its depression i just feel like im lying to myself because nothing in my life should be doing this to me, i've felt a lot worse and had to deal with a lot more in the past.

Yeah, but doing nothing and risking your degree, won't help you either. Do it for your degree! You are to depressed to learn, that is totally sufficient, as it has an impact on your life and you are obviously unhappy.

I can't redo a year because i risk losing the ability to get student finance for my masters year, i risk losing my offer from my placement, i risk losing the "hons" in my degree.

I thought you were already in your fourth year?

I cant reschedule my exams next semester, its very unlikely i'll get imcs, i hate using the imc card. I've had to do it for coursework and i dont want to use it. Ive also been told that for exams imcs come around easy.

So do you want a degree or not? Honestly it is better to do it the unperfect way, then not to do it. I know, that depression lets you think, you can't, but please understand it just lets you think that and not that there is no possibility.

I'd check if I were you. You should still qualify provided you haven't repeated any previous years. I may be wrong but ask anyway.
Reply 19
Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah, but doing nothing and risking your degree, won't help you either. Do it for your degree! You are to depressed to learn, that is totally sufficient, as it has an impact on your life and you are obviously unhappy.

I thought you were already in your fourth year?

So do you want a degree or not? Honestly it is better to do it the unperfect way, then not to do it. I know, that depression lets you think, you can't, but please understand it just lets you think that and not that there is no possibility.

Im in 4th year of a 5year course (year3 was placement)

I do want the degree, i would have no idea what to do without it. I'm trying to learn but i just dont want to, i dont even feeling like cramming. Yet still i'll sit in front of my screen and stare a notes just incase a miracle happens.

Quick Reply

Latest