ajmchugh1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

I'm currently a 1st year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield, and thinking of applying for a transfer to KCL, or some other slightly better uni's for that matter. When applying to university, I didn't quite 'back myself' enough in terms of applying for more 'top' establishments that require maybe 3 A's rather than AAB. I did apply to Warwick, which I would be interested in transferring to, but didn't accept the offer as I wasn't sure about the place, and not overly confident I could get three A's. In the end, I got A*AB, and I'm fairly confident this would have got me in there. Anyway, on results day I called a range of three A's universities through 'adjustment', the likes of Bristol, Exeter, Durham, Bath but none had my course available. So I had the choice of a gap year and reapply, or just go to Sheffield, so I did the latter.

At this point in the year, I'm beginning to regret my choice. I'm not a massive fan of the university lifestyle in Sheffield, and the reputation does concern me in knowing I could have been at a slightly better university on rankings wise. I know people say this shouldn't matter, but it does to me personally. Sheffield as a city isn't that great in my opinion, and I don't seem to get on with most of the people on my course, bar a few.

If anyone could give me any advice on there experiences with transferring university? And would you recommend King's? The idea of living in London is very attractive, but I would consider other options like those mentioned above. What would people do in my situation?

Many thanks.
afsana_ac
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I study at Kings. Don't worry I know someone else in the same position as you. He is studying at QMUL and he also want to study at Kings. At first I thought it was for the reputation which in all honestly employers couldn't really care much about. However it seems to concern you as it does him so if you want to transfer I say go for it. He wants to also transfer because the subjects offered at Kings along with the year abroad option is far better in Kings than at QMUL. So maybe it may be easier if there were other reasons you may want to transfer?

In order to transfer you would have to go through the whole UCAS process again. I'm not really sure if you intend to study the same course but the more the similarity the easier a transfer will be. Unless you intend to start of in the first year or do a different course.

Kings is really attractive especially if you're into Law. The locations of the three major campuses are also nice. My degree is interdisciplinary so I'm in between two campuses but I visit the third one for society events. It's all good, gets a bit tiring after a while. The night life in London is quite vibrant. Just stick to the major tourist areas out of safety. Moving around between the three campuses is getting a bit annoying though.

I would recommend Kings especially for Law, It is a good university, All campuses are very busy but that means exploring for cheap eats basically Greggs and subway. If I was in your position and university rep mattered to me a lot then I would consider moving. If there are things that Kings offers that you can't really get in Sheffield then I would move. However I would really consider the pro's and cons before moving to London.
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ajmchugh1)
Hi there,

I'm currently a 1st year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield, and thinking of applying for a transfer to KCL, or some other slightly better uni's for that matter. When applying to university, I didn't quite 'back myself' enough in terms of applying for more 'top' establishments that require maybe 3 A's rather than AAB. I did apply to Warwick, which I would be interested in transferring to, but didn't accept the offer as I wasn't sure about the place, and not overly confident I could get three A's. In the end, I got A*AB, and I'm fairly confident this would have got me in there. Anyway, on results day I called a range of three A's universities through 'adjustment', the likes of Bristol, Exeter, Durham, Bath but none had my course available. So I had the choice of a gap year and reapply, or just go to Sheffield, so I did the latter.

At this point in the year, I'm beginning to regret my choice. I'm not a massive fan of the university lifestyle in Sheffield, and the reputation does concern me in knowing I could have been at a slightly better university on rankings wise. I know people say this shouldn't matter, but it does to me personally. Sheffield as a city isn't that great in my opinion, and I don't seem to get on with most of the people on my course, bar a few.

If anyone could give me any advice on there experiences with transferring university? And would you recommend King's? The idea of living in London is very attractive, but I would consider other options like those mentioned above. What would people do in my situation?

Many thanks.
can you tell us what course you're doing at sheffield? can you also share the negative points about sheffield in terms of teaching quality or anything that affected you? thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.54%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.69%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (48)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.56%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.81%

Watched Threads