Rmcewan15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm not sure this is the right forum but I'm wondering; do you need to take additional maths to do further maths at a level? I didn't get picked for it because I did like no work the first year of GCSE maths but I'm really committed now and doing well with my revision and I'd like to do something mathematical at uni so I'd like to take further maths. However, I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to take it. Sorry for the long question.
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rmcewan15)
I'm not sure this is the right forum but I'm wondering; do you need to take additional maths to do further maths at a level? I didn't get picked for it because I did like no work the first year of GCSE maths but I'm really committed now and doing well with my revision and I'd like to do something mathematical at uni so I'd like to take further maths. However, I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to take it. Sorry for the long question.
There is no requirement to have taken the GCSE further maths in order for you to be able to take A-level further maths.
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only requirement to take a level further maths is that you take A level maths.
Rmcewan15
Rep:
?
(Original post by B_9710)
The only requirement to take a level further maths is that you take A level maths.
Thanks man that clears a lot up
B_9710
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you taken your GCSE in maths yet?
Rmcewan15
Rep:
?
(Original post by B_9710)
Have you taken your GCSE in maths yet?
My mock's in a few weeks I'm just thinking ahead to a levels. I should probably wait till I've got my results and see them but I was just curious tbh.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only your sixth form/college can tell you what THEIR requirement is for entry to further maths. Talk to a maths teacher or the head of maths.
For most schools the requirement is an A* at GCSE but I know some schools who require a higher level qualification (e.g. additional maths) and one school that only requires an A if students pass an aptitude test in algebra.
There are no restrictions from the examiners about who is allowed to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.81%
No (505)
66.19%

Watched Threads