Any classical fans here? Watch

oShahpo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is there anyone in this forum who actually listens to classical music? I am not talking about some Bach or Pachelbel while you're studying, rather hardcore classical fans who go to concerts and such
If so, what's your favourite piece?
Mine is definitely Mahler's fifth, maybe Shostakovich's fifth too, add to that the awesome Mendelssohn's first trio.
Mostly_Crazy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am!

Anything by Sibelius or Prokofiev is awesome, Sibelius' second is probably my favourite... I love a bit of Tchaik too, obviously the symphonies are great but I love his string quartets too.

I'm a violinist myself, so any of the major concerti will keep me happy, especially the Bruch G minor
oShahpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mostly_Crazy)
I am!

Anything by Sibelius or Prokofiev is awesome, Sibelius' second is probably my favourite... I love a bit of Tchaik too, obviously the symphonies are great but I love his string quartets too.

I'm a violinist myself, so any of the major concerti will keep me happy, especially the Bruch G minor
What do you think of Mendelssohn's violin sonata?
Mostly_Crazy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by oShahpo)
What do you think of Mendelssohn's violin sonata?
I'm not sure I really "get" it to be honest... the last movement is quite fun, but I don't really get on with the rest of it

I like his quartets though, especially the slow movement from the F minor (op. 80)
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like classical music. Though I mainly go to piano recitals. A housemate is a cellist and occasionally we discuss stuff.

I studied Shostakovtich's 5th Symphony for my A2 in music, actually. I believe Flauta and shostakovich are also fans .
Mostly_Crazy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You got to do Shostakovitch? Lucky...

I dropped music after AS actually, I just found it boring. Our "romantic" set work was Beethoven's fifth...
oShahpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mostly_Crazy)
I'm not sure I really "get" it to be honest... the last movement is quite fun, but I don't really get on with the rest of it

I like his quartets though, especially the slow movement from the F minor (op. 80)
First time I listened to it, I thought wow this is genius. Then listen after listen I came to realise it's actually a bit too classical for my liking, but I generally hear violinists praising it.
Btw, I have just started listening to Sibelius Humoresques, and by jove they're fascinating They made me shiver. I am guessing since you're a violinist you're familiar with them. *By humoresques I mean humoresques and the serenades and the pieces for violin and orchestra*
oShahpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by keromedic)
I like classical music. Though I mainly go to piano recitals. A housemate is a cellist and occasionally we discuss stuff.

I studied Shostakovtich's 5th Symphony for my A2 in music, actually. I believe Flauta and shostakovich are also fans .
What did you think of it? And how hard was it?
Any favourites btw?
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What did you think of it? And how hard was it?
Any favourites btw?
To be honest, I didn't care for it and I found musical analysis extremely difficult. I might be doing dual honours music at uni though so need to get practising. I found it weird and didn't appreciate the dissonance. I much preferred Beethoven's 1st which we studied the previous year.

If you mean favourite symphony, that would be Mozart's Symphony in G minor, K. 183.
'Classical' instrumental piece would be Mozart's piano concerto no. 20 in D minor.
'Classical' piece in general would be Chopin's Nocturne in C minor (though this changes but I do adore his music. I play his C# minor Nocturne on my YT channel)
oShahpo
Rep:
?
To be honest, I didn't care for it and I found musical analysis extremely difficult. I might be doing dual honours music at uni though so need to get practising. I found it weird and didn't appreciate the dissonance. I much preferred Beethoven's 1st which we studied the previous year.

If you mean favourite symphony, that would be Mozart's Symphony in G minor, K. 183.
'Classical' instrumental piece would be Mozart's piano concerto no. 20 in D minor.
'Classical' piece in general would be Chopin's Nocturne in C minor (though this changes but I do adore his music. I play his C# minor Nocturne on my YT channel)
I see you're into Classical music There is something about Mozart that turns me off for some reason, I never liked his music. Chopin, on the other hand, is an angel Give me a link
oShahpo
Rep:
?

Btw, seeing that you live in Manchester, are there any good music venues in Manchester that plays classical? I might go to Manchester Uni but I was worried there is not much classical going on there. I know there is loads of rock venues on the plus side.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I see you're into Classical music There is something about Mozart that turns me off for some reason, I never liked his music. Chopin, on the other hand, is an angel Give me a link
Romantic is okay too. Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no. 2 is another favourite. I'm also a big fan of the etudes of Litz based on the Paganini violin pieces.

I've embeded the video below. It's okay-ish. I hit most of the notes accurately but the rhythm is inconsistent and lacks the maturity I think you need to give a meaningful interpretation.

I really ought to upload new material. Christmas was meant to be a time where I'd get back into practice but that didn't happen...
Do you play anything?
The Warsmith
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sign me in.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Btw, seeing that you live in Manchester, are there any good music venues in Manchester that plays classical? I might go to Manchester Uni but I was worried there is not much classical going on there. I know there is loads of rock venues on the plus side.
Loads of Rock? I only know of a couple/few .

Not sure what type of venue you're referring to but there is the RNCM and Bridgewater Hall. Cheatham's school of music sometimes do lunchtime recitals. As well as these, you can watch operas at the various theatres in town.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Romantic is okay too. Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no. 2 is another favourite. I'm also a big fan of the etudes of Litz based on the Paganini violin pieces.

I've embeded the video below. It's okay-ish. I hit most of the notes accurately but the rhythm is inconsistent and lacks the maturity I think you need to give a meaningful interpretation.

I really ought to upload new material. Christmas was meant to be a time where I'd get back into practice but that didn't happen...
Do you play anything?
I took up guitar a few years back, played it for a year then gave up. I am more into music theory than playing music, although I think I have forgotten almost all I know about it given it has been no less than 3 years since I last picked up a music theory book

It's pretty decent. The rhythm is off a bit but the piece generally sounds like you're really into it
oShahpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
Sign me in.
Hiyao.
Any favourites?
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took up guitar a few years back, played it for a year then gave up. I am more into music theory than playing music, although I think I have forgotten almost all I know about it given it has been no less than 3 years since I last picked up a music theory book
What did you get up to? I'm slowly working on a harmony book for Grade 8 theory which I hope to take in 2017.
oShahpo
Rep:
?

Here's a gem that's so, so underrated.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
What did you get up to? I'm slowly working on a harmony book for Grade 8 theory which I hope to take in 2017.
I wasn't doing it at school, just on my free time. I got up to harmony and counterpoint, I remember I stopped because I couldn't play any instruments at the time.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wasn't doing it at school, just on my free time. I got up to harmony and counterpoint, I remember I stopped because I couldn't play any instruments at the time.
Oh cool. So can you realise figured base and harmonise a given melody? Even A level music doesn't require much theory other than Grade 5 tbh . Coursework and writing skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%