Scitty
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I've been wading through AS and A2 past papers trying to compile a list of chemicals we should know, and the uses for them (e.g. in questions where they ask you to name a given structure, and suggest a use for it).

So far I've got:

MgO: AS - Magnesium Hydroxide. Anti-acid medication.
BaSO4: AS - Barium Sulphate. Its insolubility makes it useful for barium meal x-rays to evaluate the function of a patient’s digestive system.
CaOH: AS - Calcium Hydroxide. Used to adjust pH of soil and lakes.
Phenylamines: A2 - Amino group attached to a benzene ring. Used in herbicides, and as dyes and explosives.
Cl2: AS - sanitising water by reacted with H2O to form HOCl.

I find it a lot easier to learn the uses and chemicals by themselves than with them integrated into each relevant sub-unit, but I know that's not a complete list, so are there any more I need to add to learn?

(I'm resitting CHEM2 during A2, hence some AS mentions.)

Cheers!
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatMadClown)
Calcium Hydroxide is also known as limewater, and is used to test for carbon dioxide.
Calcium hydroxide is only called "limewater" when it is used to make a saturated solution.

Ca(OH)2 (s) is known as "slaked lime".
username1426305
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could also say that potassium dichromate is used as an oxidising agent.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Scitty)
Hi there,

I've been wading through AS and A2 past papers trying to compile a list of chemicals we should know, and the uses for them (e.g. in questions where they ask you to name a given structure, and suggest a use for it).

So far I've got:

BaSO4: AS - Barium Sulphate. Its insolubility makes it useful for barium meal x-rays to evaluate the function of a patient’s digestive system.
Phenylamines: A2 - Amino group attached to a benzene ring. Used in herbicides, and as dyes and explosives.

I find it a lot easier to learn the uses and chemicals by themselves than with them integrated into each relevant sub-unit, but I know that's not a complete list, so are there any more I need to add to learn?

Cheers!
Ca(OH)2
username1426305
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Scitty)
Hi there,

So far I've got:

Cheers!
Also, MgO is magnesium oxide, magnesium hydroxide is Mg(OH)2

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (66)
15.07%
1 (58)
13.24%
2 (56)
12.79%
3 (91)
20.78%
4 (90)
20.55%
5 (77)
17.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise