The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

QUB nursing 2016

Hi :smile: I was just wondering if many on here are applying to Queen's Belfast for nursing? Has anyone heard about the MMI interview for it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannahkate96
Hi :smile: I was just wondering if many on here are applying to Queen's Belfast for nursing? Has anyone heard about the MMI interview for it?

Good luck! Anything you need to know about MMIs ask away...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Hi!! :smile: Could I just ask what finance is available for the nursing degree here? I know it's not much haha xx
Hi!! :smile: Could I just ask what finance is available for the nursing degree here? I know it's not much haha xx

You get a fixed bursary of £430 a month. If you have dependents etc you can apply for more if you provide evidence.
Students from NI are not entitled to a loan. This will vary for other parts of the UK.
Anything else you need, ask!
Just one more thing, sorry to bother ya, but when will you hear back if you've been unsuccessful for interview. Could it take a while?
Reply 5

Hi ive applied to nursing at queens. Yes itll be a series of mini interviews 😯
Just one more thing, sorry to bother ya, but when will you hear back if you've been unsuccessful for interview. Could it take a while?

Queens are known for taking their time with letting people know. Some people didn't find out until deadline day last year.
I assisted with trialling the MMI'S there and I'm in second year at the moment so if you need anything
Good luck!
Reply 7
I was just reading about the MMI'S any tips ?
Be yourself and don't panic.
It goes really quick so you don't even realise it.
The scenarios will relate to real life but will also have an aspect that they can gauge your personality and will relate to nursing, for example how you would deal with a relative telling you something, ie bad news.
So all you can do is be honest. The MMIs are meant to be easier for you to get your personality across to others. And actually a lot less daunting then a 2-1 interview.
good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah so nervous about applying! I don't even think I'll make it past the personal statement stage 🙈🙈 do you have to have work experience or be employed in the health or care sector? How are you finding QUB deviant182?
No! Experience helps but it's not something you definitely need. Plenty of people go into nursing with no experience.
I would say it helps personally as there are a few who do drop out as they don't realise how hard going it can be.
I have found it really good. The time flies by and we have so much to do. You notice the work load increasing as you go through the years but it's so worth it!
Don't be nervous, just be yourself and remember to embody the qualities of a nurse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi, I'm actually applying for mental health nursing at queens, will the interviews be the same and what are MMI's, I hope that doesn't sound stupid!
I'm not sure if they will be the same but you can look on here and all over the Internet about MMIs. No no you're not stupid, I was very puzzled myself lol I don't think we'll be notified about getting through to the MMI for a good while yet.
The personal statements are being whittled down as we speak.
They have received over 6000 applications for nursing this year.
Interviews will be over the span of 3 weeks or so and are in the new MMI format.
The interview will not focus on what field etc you have applied for etc but there may be a station that focuses on a certain field that you will have to focus on.
The MMIs allow you to reveal different sides of your personality and allow you to get over a little blip for example if you think you performed badly in 1 station you can try to rectify this in the next one.
Oh my word!! That is a crazy amount of people! How many will go through to the MMI? Those poor people having to read through all those statements. Is this the highest amount they've ever had?
They have already started going through them all and around 2000 will be invited for interview. This then has to be cut down to 400 people to be on the course.
The statements are marked by lecturers once they have been seen by the school and looked for errors etc that can quickly be rejected.
They are receiving more each year, especially with talk of bursaries being stopped etc.
It's daunting to hear but just focus on yourself and do your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
They have already started going through them all and around 2000 will be invited for interview. This then has to be cut down to 400 people to be on the course.
The statements are marked by lecturers once they have been seen by the school and looked for errors etc that can quickly be rejected.
They are receiving more each year, especially with talk of bursaries being stopped etc.
It's daunting to hear but just focus on yourself and do your best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is extremely competitive this year. What was it like when you applied? When did you hear back about your interview?
I applied in November. Heard back in the February. Had interview in the March. Heard I was successful on deadline day for ucas may 8th.
So it's a long wait and it is competitive. But nursing is increasingly more and more competitive every year.
Although this may change if bursaries change, but only time will tell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Has anyone heard anything back yet? Or are we all still playing the waiting game, it's killing me!!
Original post by Janinejb
Has anyone heard anything back yet? Or are we all still playing the waiting game, it's killing me!!

I haven't heard anything yet either. Checking my email way too many times a day at this point! You would imagine we will start hearing soon as the interviews are running for 3 weeks starting 7th March

Quick Reply

Latest