Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this kind question has come up before but i was wondering if doin 2 modules for a subject for next Jan is a good idea. I ask this especially to people applying to med because we will have a lot of pressure on us over summer (e.g work experience/personal statement) and through next year (BMAT, interviews, reading up on latest articles etc).

I am keen in doing this because i may want to do the AEA's next June so if i don't finish my a-level courses quicker i will have burnt out!

(Original post by Adil Bhai)
    I know this kind question has come up before but i was wondering if doin 2 modules for a subject for next Jan is a good idea. I ask this especially to people applying to med because we will have a lot of pressure on us over summer (e.g work experience/personal statement) and through next year (BMAT, interviews, reading up on latest articles etc).

I am keen in doing this because i may want to do the AEA's next June so if i don't finish my a-level courses quicker i will have burnt out!
    AEAs dont really take any extra work its just the exam. Unless your school is ready for you to do the modules in Jan ,you are unlikely to have the chance to take them anyway. I don't really see how having pressure over the summer is going to affect this. Reading up on latest articles really will not take much time.
    r
    osie

ReputationRep:
    Actually my teacher for Physics is really good and may help me in finishing the modules quicker (and for chem). Who else is planning to do AEAs and in what subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking an AEA in Economics, but apparantly it's no more work if you can get a comfortable A in the subject anyway, just means your exams finish a little later Grr!

ReputationRep:
    What are AEA's?

Actually my teacher for Physics is really good and may help me in finishing the modules quicker (and for chem). Who else is planning to do AEAs and in what subjects?
    thats nice but it still probably would be better to just do them with the rest of your class. there isnt really that much point in rushingor you will just end up retaking in june anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's much point. AEAs don't require much extra so you'd be better off doing them at same time as A2 when all that info is in your mind.

Having said that, if I'd had the opportunity to take some unit papers in January then I would have loved to do that.. The pressure would then be much more evenly distributed over the year & you could go into A2 knowing exactly how well you needed to do..

Unfortunately, it wasn't an option at my college.

(Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm taking an AEA in Economics, but apparantly it's no more work if you can get a comfortable A in the subject anyway, just means your exams finish a little later Grr!
    i think it adds a whole day onto the length onto the period i have exams! I guess its just the subjects I do are late anyway? Or maybe I just do too many exams for my own good

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meawinner)
    What are AEA's?
    Advanced Extension Award - They're like extra exam you can take when you sit your A2s; aimed at those who are going to get an A at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes doing Jan mods is a disadvantage. They are primarly aimed at retake candidates and are made harder as a result - I sort of know why but its hard to explain - doing 1 mod is fine - gets some pressure off but I wouldn't do the two. Compare some summer and jan papers and the difference should become apparant to you.
    AEAs - why not - they are only from the core syallabus so require no extra preparation.

ReputationRep:
    I ask this especially to people applying to med because we will have a lot of pressure on us over summer (e.g work experience/personal statement) and through next year (BMAT, interviews, reading up on latest articles etc).

yeah..& a whole summer to do it! & i spent 2months of mine working full time.. however, i did work experience easter of l6th, so then could write about it in my PS over the summer as we had an internal UCAS deadline of 20th Sept. & the oxbridge co-ordinator wanted to see it by the end of August.

if i had had to do the BMAT i would have done quite a bit of work on that over the summer though, especially if i wanted to apply to Oxford nowadays.

Interview - well, you'll get 4 max if you're very lucky..so they don't take up much time, TBH.

I doubt AEAs are considered much use for medicine..only the more "academic" courses would really be interested in them & they tend to be using their own aptitude tests. although saying that i did do AEA biology just because i wanted to (which illustrated the weirdness of the whole A2/AEA system because A2 biology was definitely not my strongest subject in UMS terms..& i have a friend who was top 5 nationally, yet i ended up with a D & her an M..so.. :confused: )

oh & if you think applying to medical school & doing A2s & AEAs in the normal time frame will burn you out..may i suggest another career?

(sorry..i may be a tad grouchy with exam stress! )

ReputationRep:
    seems reasonable, thnx for advice

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.