The Student Room Group

Music A level help

Hi
I'm studying A-level music and I really struggle with chord reading in set works. Is there anyway of understanding it better or any easier ways of figuring it out?
Is there something in particular about reading chords that you find hard? Like identifying the type or the root note?
Reply 2
Yes I really struggle with identifying what type the chord is and the root note especially if the chord has been inverted.
Reply 3
I'm really sorry, I don't know :colondollar:
but for any a-level musicians, can you answer my question about taking a - level music?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3812711

So for this example you'll first want to notice what the key is, in this case C minor. Then observe the pattern of notes where you're trying to find the chord. It takes some practice being able to instantly recognise what the inversion is which is an important thing to be able to do, as it tells you the root note and base note.

In bar 1 left hand it should be obvious that first chord has a root note and base note of C, so it has to be chord i in the key of C minor. The second chord in the left hand is more complicated but if your look at the middle three notes you should see that it's chord ii (diminished because of the flattened 5th), then with the two outer notes it becomes a diminished 7th chord 3rd inversion (because the 7th in in the lowest key in the chord) with an added 9th.
Reply 5
Okay thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me, I'll just continue practising it and hopefully for the A2 exam in May I'll completely understand 🙌🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending