The Student Room Group

CFE Advanced Higher Geography 2015/16

Hi everyone!
Don't think there's a huge amount of people out there studying advanced higher geography this year but I've created a thread anyway for talking about our geographical studies, issues and the exam (6th May!)

Scroll to see replies

I've just started my issues essay and it's draining the life out of me :sleep:
Reply 2
Original post by slothonist
I've just started my issues essay and it's draining the life out of me :sleep:

I feel your pain! I've got a draft due in next week :frown: What you doing yours on?
Original post by MissNoir98
I feel your pain! I've got a draft due in next week :frown: What you doing yours on?

Climate change, what about you? :smile:
Reply 4
Tourism on Mount Everest, finding it quite dull though :frown:
Original post by MissNoir98
Tourism on Mount Everest, finding it quite dull though :frown:

Really? It sounds quite interesting!
Hi, sorry i just found this thread.

I started my issues essay recently (it's about how drilling for oil and gas in Alaska - offshore and onshore - can impact the local people and their environment). If the word limit is 1800, i don't know how i'm going to keep it condensed since we have 3 sources.
Are you having problems with this?
Reply 7
Original post by LisaLooneyTunes
Hi, sorry i just found this thread.

I started my issues essay recently (it's about how drilling for oil and gas in Alaska - offshore and onshore - can impact the local people and their environment). If the word limit is 1800, i don't know how i'm going to keep it condensed since we have 3 sources.
Are you having problems with this?

Hi! yeah its quite tough, i aimed for about 200 words for the summary for each source. Most of my sources though were academic papers, so i basically just summarised the abstract.
Our teacher was saying the same thing though, about how it is really tough to condense such a huge volume of information into 1800 words! Remember diagrams with annotations aren't included in your word count, so if you're really stuck you could always try that. Best of luck! :smile:
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!!
HI Everyone,

I am just wondering if anybody could inform me on what the new advanced higher geo entails? I am doing it as a self taught advaced higher next year as i am the only one doing it. So any help or resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks.x
Original post by morganmorris17
HI Everyone,

I am just wondering if anybody could inform me on what the new advanced higher geo entails? I am doing it as a self taught advaced higher next year as i am the only one doing it. So any help or resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks.x

You have to do a geographical study (fieldwork) worth 60 marks and and an essay on a geographical issue of your choice worth 40 marks. These are the largest and most important part of the course. The deadline for the project-folio is AFTER the exam so you have plenty of time to complete these.
The exam itself is only worth 30 marks. As for the course content, there's not much to cover. You just need to learn about different types of maps, statistics, graphs etc, and all of the notes for this can be found on the Education Scotland website. The exam itself will consist of a map interpretation question, a fieldwork gathering technique question and a statistics question in which you will have to analyse the data given. You're expected to remember stuff from higher and use it to explain why there's a relationship between certain variables, e.g. crop yield and rainfall, GDP and unemployment, as there is no actual content to learn in the AH course.
I've self taught the course this year and I met the geography teacher once a week just to go over what I'd covered and I didn't really struggle so you should be okay :smile:
hope this helps and sorry it's long lol
Does anyone have any tips for revising for higher geography? Any tips would be so helpful as o finding it really hard to get all the facts into my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by molly221
Does anyone have any tips for revising for higher geography? Any tips would be so helpful as o finding it really hard to get all the facts into my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, try the bitesize quizzes they are really good and really just keep practicing past papers and have your notes next to you, try drawing diagrams and annotating them, use mind maps or flash cards, there are so many ways. for malaria if you are doing that then watch the disney cartoon on youtube, just put in disney malaria and this should help you remember, hope all this helps :smile:
Reply 13
Hi just found this thread now, i am studying advanced higher geography and was wondering what all the marks come down to, 100 for the folio, but how much in the exam and what are the exam questions (as in what is the exam broken down into?)
Original post by Sheena98
Hi just found this thread now, i am studying advanced higher geography and was wondering what all the marks come down to, 100 for the folio, but how much in the exam and what are the exam questions (as in what is the exam broken down into?)

50 marks up for grabs in the exam which consists of three questions: map interpretation (20 marks), gathering and processing techniques (10 marks), and data handling (20 marks)
hi,

does anyone have any notes on stream analysis for q2 of the exam? really struggling as i don't have any myself
Have many of you struggled with the limited word count for both the essay and the study as I know that everyone in my class has really struggled with the limitations of this
Original post by kblack244
Have many of you struggled with the limited word count for both the essay and the study as I know that everyone in my class has really struggled with the limitations of this

yeah, I've struggled loads with both word limits, for the issue i ended up having to make complex diagrams just to get across the info, since they aren't counted in the word limit and for the study I've had to get an english teacher to sit down and help me reword every sentence to make it shorter.
Original post by geography16
hi,

does anyone have any notes on stream analysis for q2 of the exam? really struggling as i don't have any myself

hi, im not entirly sure what you're looking for but the SQA website has a stream analysis section where it talks abut depth, width and so on, its on course unit support notes (on the advanced higher geography page) on P20.
Good luck everyone!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending