The Student Room Group

A level courses help please

Hi everyone,

So I am studying vet nursing at uni - I only have a BTEC; although I do not mind the studying aspect after a placement I do not feel as though this is the job for me (btw I love animals a lot - I'm not thinking of leaving because of the animals but because of the actual tasks eg. blood tests and euthanasia).

Anyway... I've always loved (physical) geography especially rock formation and volcanoes and I have also always enjoyed history (not really war but pretty much everything else).

So... I was thinking of quitting my degree and doing 3 intensive a levels (the one year course). In history, geography and an undecided a level (I was thinking RS/ICT etc)...

Since I've never done a level I was wondering if you guys could help me with some questions I have please.

Oooh and just some background info: I dislike maths - strongly (oops), I like English but I think this would be pretty heavy, I am pretty good at science but I wouldn't like it at a level, I got an A in both geo, history and religious studies at a level and an A* in ICT.
And for degrees either history or geography (or them both combined) and in terms of jobs probably palaeontology, mythology, librarian, volcanology or astrology to name a few.
Okay dokay so:

- do you think this is possible I mean my motivation is pretty strong and I'll have from the end of Jan to the exams to revise the a levels.

- what subject do you think would be good I have done research and I'm still super unsure I know @ the end of the day it comes down to ability etc. but did anyone find any a levels sort of easy (sorry I know a levels are tough but just for arguments sake I was wondering)

- I kinda need to get like AAB or ABB or BBB @ a level do you think this is possible in a year?

- Also from anyone's experience who has done history/geography degrees or any of the jobs I have mentioned would experience in somewhere like a museum be beneficial?

Sorry for the question overload! Any replies would be super appreciated please as I'm super unsure I've already screwed up studying once better not do it again :wink:.

Thank you in advanced if you reply :biggrin:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Well, I've done 18 month A-Levels and I think doing it in a year would certainly be doable if you pace yourself very well. As for liking English, English is far less heavy than History haha. AAB or ABB would definitely be possible if you put in good amounts of work! If you've done a BTEC you'd be familiar with working consistently so just continue that. Plus, if you're looking at a history degree, RS or English would be better than ICT, and vice versa if you're looking at a geography degree. Good luck! x
Reply 3
Original post by Jayd Shah
Well, I've done 18 month A-Levels and I think doing it in a year would certainly be doable if you pace yourself very well. As for liking English, English is far less heavy than History haha. AAB or ABB would definitely be possible if you put in good amounts of work! If you've done a BTEC you'd be familiar with working consistently so just continue that. Plus, if you're looking at a history degree, RS or English would be better than ICT, and vice versa if you're looking at a geography degree. Good luck! x

Thank you very much for your response! Okay great thank you for informing me on the best a levels to coincide with the degree!
Thank you! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest