Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going to a recruitment event soon at a shop who are employing people because they are opening a new shop, i was wondering what exactly will happen? It is on two different days and im there on the first day. The letter says it will be a group event and will give you an understanding of the opportunities available and will enable us to get a clear overview of your application.

I was wondering what exactly will be happening and also if anyone has been to something like this before?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    I am going to a recruitment event soon at a shop who are employing people because they are opening a new shop, i was wondering what exactly will happen? It is on two different days and im there on the first day. The letter says it will be a group event and will give you an understanding of the opportunities available and will enable us to get a clear overview of your application.

I was wondering what exactly will be happening and also if anyone has been to something like this before?

Thanks
    I went to one of these things at a hotel for a new all:sports shop. Basically, they talked a little bit about the various jobs on offer, and if you hadn't already handed in your CV, you could hand it in then. They then just handed out an additional application form with bank details, hours which you were available to work and more technical details on it. Brief interviews were then conducted and there was a very long wait to get one. I arrived at 2pm and was told that I wouldn't be seen until 7.30pm, so I went home and came back. The interview was just a series of fairly predictable questions largely related to why I wanted the job and why I thought I would be good at it.

A few weeks later I was invited to a final interview at one of their existing branches with a manager, but I couldn't make it because I was skiing. Ah well, didn't really fancy working in a sports shop anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i went to one of them once for marks and spencer, they wanted temporary christmas staff.

what i suggest to you is get there EARLY esp. if it's a well-known store like M&S, cos i reached there at the time they said and there was already a LOOOONG queue and so i walked away job-less cos' they only took the first 120 or so even though i reached early it wasn't early enough.

we were given an application form to fill in while we were queuing, and i think if you get picked then you'll get interviewed. also there might be a scenario thing, where they give you a scenario, such as a rowdy customer and ask you how you'd deal with it.

as you may be interviewed make sure you dress up smartly! and GOOD LUCK i'm sure you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    ive already given in my application form and CV to them and they sent me that letter, i then had to phone up to confirm it, i could choose from two different days to choose from so i choose today and the time is 6.30pm i doubt many people will choose saturday night because everyone will want to go out. I think the store closes at 6 so it is after the store closes it will start, what time do you think i should get there if it starts at 6.30pm?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hmmm that tricky-well it really depends on the popularity of the shop, but if it was me i'd go at 6.30 or earlier, just incase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    hmmm that tricky-well it really depends on the popularity of the shop, but if it was me i'd go at 6.30 or earlier, just incase.
    Definitely, if this is a large/popular shop or the event has received press exposure, expect massive queues (esp. if we're talking about a city shop). It never hurts to be early and it can often pay dividends.

ReputationRep:
    the shop closes at 6pm tonight and the event starts 30mins after it closes so i will probaly arrive at 6.10pm?

ReputationRep:
    anyone because im a little nervous about it, i will be wearing black trousers, blue shirt and a grey hoody which i porbaly will take of when im there or not, what you think?

Also im not sure whether or not i should wear black shoes or white reebok trainers?

ReputationRep:
    never wear trainers or jeans to an interview-so black shoes, i'd say!

ReputationRep:
    oh i hate wearing shoes they are uncomfortable.

What about wearing the new york grey zip hoody over the blue short sleeved shirt?

ReputationRep:
    hmm...i suppose thats ok, but won't you feel hot?

ReputationRep:
    at night? i dont think so but if i do get hot i will take it of yeah, im just nervous about how many other people will be there and what they will be wearing. So you think it will be ok to wear white trainers?

Deep breaths....

ReputationRep:
    at night? i dont think so but if i do get hot i will take it of yeah, im just nervous about how many other people will be there and what they will be wearing. So you think it will be ok to wear white trainers?
    nooooo don't wear trainers. wear shoes!

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    nooooo don't wear trainers. wear shoes!
    Yes, that's good advice.

ReputationRep:
    i was told that i should take shoes in my bag and then change into them when im nearly there on the bus, what you think?

Also do you think i should get there about 6/6.10pm?

I think you should calm down otherwise you'll make a mess of it. Confidence is vital in these situations.

ReputationRep:
    i was told that i should take shoes in my bag and then change into them when im nearly there on the bus, what you think?

Also do you think i should get there about 6/6.10pm?
    whats the point? just wear you shoes the whole way. seems kibnda silly to change halfway there. and just get there about 6.10

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    it's because he says his shoes are uncomfortable and you don't want blisterry feet in the summer!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, anyway i sweat alot so if i take a bag i can keep deodrant in it + shoes and also keep my bus pass in it so i dont lose them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.