The Student Room Group

Paramedic Practice/Science

Hi there !

I am a mature (ish ) student and next September I will be applying to study to be a paramedic.
I was supposed to start an access course this year but I sadly couldn't. I have been researching and trying to boost my application for about two years now. I have to say I'm really looking forward to it as my background is completely different!

There is a few teething problems : I am really confused by the course guides? I feel there isn't actually that much information compared to nursing- I live near two unis which are really good for nursing.
I was really disheartened when I went last year to my local college for my access course application because they didn't have much information and focused primarily on nursing so a lot of the time has been down to spending time on ucas and researching.
I left at one point with a college tutor compare paramedic to being ' a nurse with a car' !

I am aware there are a two year and a three year course, but when I asked tutors, they admitted they were not really sure what the difference was and the mode of people seemed to go to a kind of local which I'm not sure how I feel about the placement ..
I've seen that one course obviously gives you a full degree and doesn't seem to focus as much on driving /practical assessments but one seems to be focusing more on theory side of it.
I suppose what the point is, If I was sat down in an interview for an ambulance trust I wanted to work for and I was up against others,
would the person sat next to me be guaranteed a job because they'd done the full degree despite if I'd worked just as hard and focused more time on practicals and a bit more driving experience?'ve had a good look at choices, there has been a few new choices added I've noticed over time but I wonder Is it literally a case of choose a course and work hard?

Would be really grateful If anyone could provide any links/information/experience

Good luck if you've applied for 2016 entry !
Realistically it doesn't really matter whether you to the 2 or 3 year course when you qualify. The only real difference Would be that if you decided you wanted to progress you may find it harder without the bsc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Happy_Holidays

Hi thank you for replying !Have you done the two or three year course yourself ?Yes , That's a true point . I am going to apply for mostly three years ( Teeside Bradford and Birmingham I live too far for Brighton and I've been to London , lived ten mins away from Kingston uni and hated it so St George's is out of the question ) but maybe keep Sheffield as a backup as in the future. I'm sure you surely could top the degree up?
I just couldn't understand why most colleges seemed to send people to the two year course and not understand the difference! I've heard roumors about ambulance services changing the way they want students qualified .
Thanks anyway !
Reply 3
Just to let you know, the paramedic course at St George's is just St George's and not Kingston and they are trying to phase out the 2 year courses and heavily encouraging the 3 year BScs
Original post by SolStott
Just to let you know, the paramedic course at St George's is just St George's and not Kingston and they are trying to phase out the 2 year courses and heavily encouraging the 3 year BScs

Hi!
Yeah I know , it's a pure medical university but I'm sure it's under the Umbrella of Kingston? Maybe I worded it wrong but I went to Roehampton uni and I hated the whole vibe and had a bad experience. It's a Shame really because St George's looks brilliant.

I've heard that as well ! I wish they would all change really ha. The closest three year course to me is Bradford !
Reply 5
Original post by Wutheringwhite
Hi!
Yeah I know , it's a pure medical university but I'm sure it's under the Umbrella of Kingston? Maybe I worded it wrong but I went to Roehampton uni and I hated the whole vibe and had a bad experience. It's a Shame really because St George's looks brilliant.

I've heard that as well ! I wish they would all change really ha. The closest three year course to me is Bradford !

No St George's is separate to Kingston uni, when I was at my interview there someone asked and its wholly St George's and in regards to the quality I think that the further south you go the better (I'm in the same situation with Bradford being the closest but I'm off to St George's)
Original post by SolStott
No St George's is separate to Kingston uni, when I was at my interview there someone asked and its wholly St George's and in regards to the quality I think that the further south you go the better (I'm in the same situation with Bradford being the closest but I'm off to St George's)

Oh I see. I still am not a fan of the area. I imagine the placements are really good. Sadly I was really disillusioned by London like I've got family there but I literally was the only mancunian person there so I never could meet anyone holiday time , most people were proper dry and either went home at the weekend /thought that the nightlife stopped at this shoddy gym disco on a Friday night. Too expensive and lonely I found so the cheerful cheap north /Manchester is the way forward for me I'm afraid!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Nursing vs paramedicine: Nurses have slightly more opportunities for advancement, and can get to the point of being able to prescribe. However, also a little more lmited scope, and more long-term care than the very short term nature of paramedicine (though there are people for non-emergency transport who may be seen more regularly).
Original post by JoeTSR
Nursing vs paramedicine: Nurses have slightly more opportunities for advancement, and can get to the point of being able to prescribe. However, also a little more lmited scope, and more long-term care than the very short term nature of paramedicine (though there are people for non-emergency transport who may be seen more regularly).

Thanks for your reply but I'm not actually interested in doing nursing I was just wondering which course would advance me to be a paramedic.. I am aware there are a lot more areas nurses can go into and I do currently work alongside prescribing nurses but it paramedic for me I'm afraid !
Reply 9
Thanks for your reply but I'm not actually interested in doing nursing I was just wondering which course would advance me to be a paramedic.. I am aware there are a lot more areas nurses can go into and I do currently work alongside prescribing nurses but it paramedic for me I'm afraid !

Derp, I think I must've been responding to the wrong thread or something. Wasn't trying to convince you out of it, I'm a paramedicine applicant myself!

2y paramedic degrees will likely be very thin on the ground by 2017 entry, even more so than now. I think the NHS said they want to aim for all BScs by then, although could be wrong on that. The ones I did see that offered FdSc did allow topping up to BSc, but it's probably best to contact the uni.

It sucks that nurses, physios, (dieticians?) all get NHS bursaries and lots more choice, but hey :frown:
Original post by JoeTSR
Derp, I think I must've been responding to the wrong thread or something. Wasn't trying to convince you out of it, I'm a paramedicine applicant myself!

2y paramedic degrees will likely be very thin on the ground by 2017 entry, even more so than now. I think the NHS said they want to aim for all BScs by then, although could be wrong on that. The ones I did see that offered FdSc did allow topping up to BSc, but it's probably best to contact the uni.

It sucks that nurses, physios, (dieticians?) all get NHS bursaries and lots more choice, but hey :frown:

Haha no worries ! Paramedicine I like that term a lot! Where have you applied to?
Oh wow really? It's quite funny you say that because I had heard some snippets of that from my friend who's a nurse and I've seen Cardiff no longer offers the course and Hertfordshire scrapped their two year just keeping the three year. The two year had much more of a practical side to it so I suppose there is arguments which degree structure is better !

I knowThat is true ! and funnily enough the degrees which earn a significant more amount of money! 👀 But Job satisfaction ? I met a radiographer and he told me how boring he found his job. Ah well 😀
Reply 11
Haha no worries ! Paramedicine I like that term a lot! Where have you applied to?
Oh wow really? It's quite funny you say that because I had heard some snippets of that from my friend who's a nurse and I've seen Cardiff no longer offers the course and Hertfordshire scrapped their two year just keeping the three year. The two year had much more of a practical side to it so I suppose there is arguments which degree structure is better !

I knowThat is true ! and funnily enough the degrees which earn a significant more amount of money! 👀 But Job satisfaction ? I met a radiographer and he told me how boring he found his job. Ah well 😀

I'm with you on being a matureish student (early 20s), left it a bit late with applying, so I haven't actually visited any :redface: But application's off anyway, and hopefully I'll have a chance to look around before I go! I've stuck fairly south, as I don't want to go too far (and more student loan for living in London is tempting!), plus I feel like there'll be more action in London/Home counties than somewhere like Swansea. I've applied for SGUL (that'll be my firm if I get in, only sent the application last week though, so no interview request yet), Greenwich Avery (2016 & March 2017, though I know they had some clearing places in 2015), Herts & Beds.

Yeah, it's more experience which is something, and more time to procrastinate on essays!

I know, I guess they figure paramedicine is already competitive enough without needing to offer them. Probably leaving rates as well, I know a lot of paramedics leave in their 30s, which probably isn't so much the case for the other options. Definitely more interesting though, I'm sure there are some people who enjoy radiography, but to me, that sounds about as much fun as becoming an actuary!
Original post by JoeTSR
I'm with you on being a matureish student (early 20s), left it a bit late with applying, so I haven't actually visited any :redface: But application's off anyway, and hopefully I'll have a chance to look around before I go! I've stuck fairly south, as I don't want to go too far (and more student loan for living in London is tempting!), plus I feel like there'll be more action in London/Home counties than somewhere like Swansea. I've applied for SGUL (that'll be my firm if I get in, only sent the application last week though, so no interview request yet), Greenwich Avery (2016 & March 2017, though I know they had some clearing places in 2015), Herts & Beds.

Yeah, it's more experience which is something, and more time to procrastinate on essays!

I know, I guess they figure paramedicine is already competitive enough without needing to offer them. Probably leaving rates as well, I know a lot of paramedics leave in their 30s, which probably isn't so much the case for the other options. Definitely more interesting though, I'm sure there are some people who enjoy radiography, but to me, that sounds about as much fun as becoming an actuary!

You havent!? That's brave! I Went to roehampton and In the end I couldn't stand anything ( I am really manc) couldn't get a job there was no nightlife and I wasn't all that keen on my course . It's put me off SG which is a shame because I think whizzing round London sounds fun . Best of luck to you with that hope you get in st George's they had a really good open day which involved like a crash scene . Herts is really good as well they put you on either London or wmas! I'm applying this September year and it's either to Teeside Bradford and Birmingham ( if Manchester and Sheffield want to shape up that would be great )
Really? Oh wow, I feel it needs to attract an older audience because of how the job is plus I think there's good career advances like research and I know a paramedic who now is a manager of an emergency call dispatcher unit. I think now is a good time to change the system though as long as the degree Stays a good balance !
Yeah exactly and I suppose you'd have to be paid to study nutrition ☺️
Original post by JoeTSR

Not for much longer, they're stopping bursaries next year.

Quick Reply

Latest