The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amazingtrade
A lot of people say the reason I some times get depressed is becuase I think too much. If you think about problems and stuff then its very likely to you will become depressed.

i agree, ppl tell me i think way too much, and i totally jumo to conclusions. it's not gd 4 ur health, and ur brain needs a break. also being a very emotional person doesn't help, depression feels so much worse! lol
Reply 21
fifi53
evidence: my psychiatrist told me so...

In my experience psychiatrists' and psychologists' questions are far too transparent, it's easy to tell what the conclusions are that they'll draw for answers and it's easy to think up obstructive answers.

Of course, that doesn't actually help, but not everyone likes talking about it and it's a good way to demonstrate a point (and lose shrinks).

Alaric.
Reply 22
fifi53
overthinking makes you depresed... definatley. the more intelligent you are the more you are likely to get depressed and the harder it is to get out of it. an idiot could just be told that their was nothing wrong with them... whereas someone who htinks too much and can construct such a good argument in their head that life is shit, wont be able to shake it off. evidence: my psychiatrist told me so... and look at practically all the great 'minds' (particularly creative ones) and they were all screwed up.

couldnt you just use your knowledge to indulge yourself in a bit of alcohol and the other pleasures in life knowing that for at least a few seconds, u r on a high as a result of dopemine secretions which saturate the mind
Reply 23
KerChing
couldnt you just use your knowledge to indulge yourself in a bit of alcohol and the other pleasures in life knowing that for at least a few seconds, u r on a high as a result of dopemine secretions which saturate the mind

impossible... psychiatric drugs (note that these are not voluntary, but enforced upon me by some government act) and alcohol do not mix. i just end up throwing up and passing out in pain. they also make you too tired to do anything but sit around and think... oh the irony.
Reply 24
Alaric
In my experience psychiatrists' and psychologists' questions are far too transparent, it's easy to tell what the conclusions are that they'll draw for answers and it's easy to think up obstructive answers.

Of course, that doesn't actually help, but not everyone likes talking about it and it's a good way to demonstrate a point (and lose shrinks).

Alaric.

you ever thought that the fact you are responding with obstructive answers might in itself be read into.
Depression usually starts off irrational thoughts, so when you start getting down you build a spiral of "truths" i.e. telling yourself you suck, then finding proof through self-fulfilling prophecy, then telling yourself that the world is full of things you can't do (because you suck), and then telling yourself that the future sucks, and then you get back to yourself (psychologist's know this as "Beck's cognitive triad".)

The way to get out of it, is a friend or psychiatrist or even yourself, questions your most recent development (so how ever far you are around the spiral, how ever many times you've gone around) and refutes your arguments until you get back to "happy".
This is much much harder to do when the person depressed thinks "too much" and therefore can resist the refuting more easily by coming up with counter-arguments. :frown:
ShadowStorm
Depression usually starts off irrational thoughts, so when you start getting down you build a spiral of "truths" i.e. telling yourself you suck, then finding proof through self-fulfilling prophecy, then telling yourself that the world is full of things you can't do (because you suck), and then telling yourself that the future sucks, and then you get back to yourself (psychologist's know this as "Beck's cognitive triad".)

:eek: That sounds so much like me :confused: :frown:
Yeah, I know what you mean, me too. It is worse for people who "think too much". When I get down, it takes me a lot longer to get back up than a lot of people, and I also go further down than most people - having said that it's not like I go suicidal, or anything, just I make it difficult to motivate myself to do anything for a while. I don't think it's clinical or anything.
Reply 28
Replies mentioning alcohol and drugs were predictable as depression leads to alcoholism and drug abuse. Depression caused by “otherthinking” due to intelligence without direction aim or reason. The lack of reason the cause of depression. It’s surely not thinking you suck but it’s the fact that you don’t but many do and there is no apparent reason for why you don’t. Or is it that you do suck like everyone else. Your intelligence, which you thought, made you special actually caused depression and so you suck no less than everyone else. The solution get rat assed. Is this why depression alcoholism and suicide are common in doctors? Not because of stress but because they “overthink”

Be happy
Fledge
Replies mentioning alcohol and drugs were predictable as depression leads to alcoholism and drug abuse. Depression caused by “otherthinking” due to intelligence without direction aim or reason. The lack of reason the cause of depression. It’s surely not thinking you suck but it’s the fact that you don’t but many do and there is no apparent reason for why you don’t. Or is it that you do suck like everyone else. Your intelligence, which you thought, made you special actually caused depression and so you suck no less than everyone else. The solution get rat assed. Is this why depression alcoholism and suicide are common in doctors? Not because of stress but because they “overthink”

Be happy

It's not a case of "you're intelligent, be happy" though. Sometimes it's frustration at things you should be able to do but can't. Othertimes it's other people that cause you to be depressed. Sometimes it's life events. There are many, many causes for depression, which an intelligent person can weedle "better" arguments to be depressed into.

Latest

Trending

Trending