The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
zychan1
Hey guys I'm interested in doing Mathematics at Oxbridge but I was wondering how to fill up the remainder 5 slots for my UCAS later this year. (I'm doing my A Levels now) So, what other universities did you guys in Oxbridge applied to for Mathematics?

You'll clearly need to think about your first slot which can't read "Oxbridge".
Reply 2
Yea I know:smile: Probably Cambridge as its quite hard for overseas students to get into Oxford compared to Cambridge, but that's besides the thread. :smile:
Reply 3
zychan1
Yea I know:smile: Probably Cambridge as its quite hard for overseas students to get into Oxford compared to Cambridge, but that's besides the thread. :smile:

Not sure what that's based on - especially as both universities come to KL and Singapore to interview.
Reply 4
zychan1
Hey guys I'm interested in doing Mathematics at Oxbridge but I was wondering how to fill up the remainder 5 slots for my UCAS later this year. (I'm doing my A Levels now) So, what other universities did you guys in Oxbridge applied to for Mathematics?

Warwick, Imperial?
Reply 5
Yea I know Probably Cambridge as its quite hard for overseas students to get into Oxford compared to Cambridge, but that's besides the thread.

Eh, just so you know your chances of getting into Cambridge Maths are a lot lower than if you apply to Oxford. Have you even done the slightest bit of research? Mathematics at Cambridge is known to be probably the most competitive course in mathematics in the world.
Reply 6
Imperial, Warwick, Bath, LSE (Math + Econ), UCL

easy!
Reply 7
I would encourage you to investigate the courses and the cities the other universities are based in and making sure they will suit you, rather than putting names down because other 'Oxbridge' applicants did.
Reply 8
Imperial, LSE (BM&S), UCL, Warwick, KCL. Job done.
Reply 9
chrisjorg
Eh, just so you know your chances of getting into Cambridge Maths are a lot lower than if you apply to Oxford. Have you even done the slightest bit of research? Mathematics at Cambridge is known to be probably the most competitive course in mathematics in the world.

but remember cambridge do give 400 offers where as oxford only give around 250, probably not THAT much harder to get a cambridge offer, just that you then have to work like a dog to meet it....
Reply 10
400 offers

But is it now 400 offers for around 250 people?
Reply 11
a significant amount don't make the offer (usually 1,1 in STEP)
Reply 12
chrisjorg

So where does your research come from? How would one even research this fact?

I'm not knocking Cambridge maths, which is superb, but don't oversell it or its applicants as being so head and shoulders over other universities.
Reply 13
Okok Cambridge and Oxford admissions. For some reason generally in the case of Malaysian applicants the percentage of people who get into Oxford compared to the people who apply are much lower than Cambridge. Don't ask me why I don't know, its just statistics. Granted you might say that less people from Malaysia actually apply to Oxford but PERCENTAGE wise its still lower than Cambridge and that's causing less and less people to apply to Oxford each year because of the low success rate.
Reply 14
Oh yea thank you homoterror and yusufu for leading by example so can the rest who post here please follow suit? We're not really here to debate on the admission chances to Oxford and Cambridge but I'm willing to allow some flexibility if you people will actually ANSWER MY QUESTION. Thanx haha. Btw Lidia I know this is just for my own personal reference. The logic is people who apply to Oxbridge are probably top students who want and can probably get into other top universities. So I'm scouring for info on which are regarded as the top universities for Mathematics.
Reply 15
chrisjorg
Mathematics at Cambridge is known to be probably the most competitive course in mathematics in the world.

Do you mean Part III Mathematics rather than undergrad maths?
Reply 16
zychan1
Oh yea thank you homoterror and yusufu for leading by example so can the rest who post here please follow suit? We're not really here to debate on the admission chances to Oxford and Cambridge but I'm willing to allow some flexibility if you people will actually ANSWER MY QUESTION. Thanx haha. Btw Lidia I know this is just for my own personal reference. The logic is people who apply to Oxbridge are probably top students who want and can probably get into other top universities. So I'm scouring for info on which are regarded as the top universities for Mathematics.

For what it's worth then

Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, UEA
Reply 17
Cambridge, Imperial, Durham, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.
"In a survey of academics by the Guardian, Warwick was rated together with Cambridge as the mathematics course they would most like to send their children to."

And I would say:

Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, UCL in that order.

LSE is a great choice too if you have a strong interest in economics and quantitative finance.

All would be excellent remaining slots and if you don't want to be in London: Durham, Bath and Nottingham are also very good choices.
Reply 19
I had Bath, Bistol, St. Andrews, Durham, Warwick and Manchester on my ucas.

Didn't fancy London!

Latest