Ruben at MDX
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Heellooo everyone!!

My name is Ruben and I'm a recent graduate from the BA Film course at Middlesex!

I'm also the Course Ambassador for the Film, Television, Visual Effects and Gaming Courses, and I'm here to welcome any questions you have regarding the courses or the Media department.I'll try to answer every question as soon as possible!
All the BesT

Ruben Duarte
Middlesex Course AmbassadorFilm, TV, Visual Effects and Games
KennyParker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Helloooo Ruben!

Will be looking to attend this course at september! Was just wondering, now that you have graduated, what is the working environment like in this field? Are there alot of diverse jobs to pick from through completing this degree? Also what is the percentage of the portfolio work to exams?

Thanks
Kenny
Ruben at MDX
Rep:
?
Heeeyyyyy Kenny!!

First of all thank you very much for the question and I'm really happy that your thinking in applying to Middlesex, which course are you going to apply for? Film or Tv?

Both the Film and Tv courses are really practical in terms of work I would say about 70% will be practical work, and 30% written work (UN)fortunately we do not have exams during the whole 3 years!

We really value practical knowledge, and in that way they want us to spend as much time as possible outside classes making films In terms of the Film Course, you'll start with a small practical assignment on the very first week, from there you then have another every single week, one in sound, camera, lights, editing, etc... Until November it's mostly practical work outside of seminars Then you get to make a short drama about 5 minutes long, one advert of exactly 30 seconds, a campaign video, etc.. this way people start to get a feel of what they like to do and how everything works, this also serves to establish a pretty good foundation so that you can then go and make films on your own. On the side of this you will also have small written assignments, writing a script, research. etc...

This degree one way or another has given me every single tool that I needed for after the course. The course prepares you so well that you can work in almost every single aspect of filmmaking, I've worked professionally as set runner, producer, location scouting, oversee legal issues with the film, contracts, etc.. And while studying I was working on the side as operations manager on a world leading company here in london, I was managing around 400 people and 500 hotels and I was only able to do so because of the preparation I was having as a producer at the course. So as you can see, not only does it prepares you for the working life after the university but it also gives good enough transferable skills that can open lots of doors! Actually we have a 100% graduate employment ether being it on film or not.

Hope it helps and fire away any more questions you may have

Best

Ruben Duarte
Middlesex Course AmbassadorFilm, TV, Visual Effects and Gaming
Ruben at MDX
Rep:
?
Here are some Questions that I've been asked recently if have any more questions please let me know

What are the requirements for the courses?
Spoiler:
Show
You will need at least 280 Ucas points then we will ask for a Portfolio which should include:
An essay (750-1000words), of which you are the sole author, on any topic in the arts and humanities, or a work of film criticism.

ONE of the following additional items:
A Film or film extract (not more than five minutes), in which your production role is clearly evident (eg, directing, editing, cinematography, etc.)
A storyboard consisting of no more than 15 images
A short script or extract of a script (not more than 5 pages), or a prose scenario for a short film.
What areas will the course cover?
Spoiler:
Show
The course specializes in turning students into filmmakers and scriptwriters, with practical skills and theoretical understanding of film,every single student during the first few months of teaching will have the chance to try different positions on set, from lights, sound, directing, producing,editing, as well as the steps that it takes to create and develop a story into a script. Teaching goes from drama to documentary working on campaign,advertising and even being able to dip your feet into a more experimental field of films.
Will I have many exams?
Spoiler:
Show
(Un)fortunately there are no exams during the entire three years of the course.. How sad...
Is there enough time to work a part time?
Spoiler:
Show
We will be at theuniversity a maximum of 20 hours a week, most of the students manage to get apart-time on the side.
What equipment/facilities do you use?
Spoiler:
Show
The media courses are based in the Grove building; this is abrand new building with modern state of art facilities, while on the courses weare able to access a big array of rooms and equipment, such as the Soundrecording Studio, Avid Suits, Da Vinci Resolve for colour grading, we have 4editing suits fully equipped with mac’s and editing programs, motion capturestudios, just to say some. In terms of equipment, we start to get used tocameras with a simple JVC 100, Cannon 5D, 7D, Blackmagic, there is evenconversations about having a red cam soon!
Is the teaching practical or more theory based?
Spoiler:
Show
Both the Film and Tv courses are really practical in terms ofwork I would say about 70% will be practical work, the other 30% will involvesmall assignments, creating a story, and some essays. While we believe that we want a filmmaker who knowshow to do things we also want someone who understands what goes into a film andwhy doing something in a certain way, wewill teach too see through the lenses of the camera instead of just pointingthe camera at something.
Are there chances to study abroad?
Spoiler:
Show
Yes, we had students who went and made their second year in another university,it’s a really enriching experience and we do encourage our students to do it.
What kind of extra-curricular activities are there at the university?
Spoiler:
Show
Wehave a really active Student Union, where student life (and fun) is heavily promoted;they run about 70 societies, from Manga, Tea and Cookies to the Debate or JournalismSocieties the chances of finding someone who enjoys the same things as you arepretty high. We also have the Sports team if your inclined towards the physical side of it!

Checkfor societies: http://www.mdxsu.com/groups?parent_l...s-menu-wrapper

Checkfor Sports Teams: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/life-at-middles...rt/team-sports
What happens to the films we make during the three years?
Spoiler:
Show
Eachyear the final projects are screened at The Roxy. The best graduate productions each year are screened at a venue in London. Last year the Ba Film and Television courses had our films being screened at the BFI. Two years ago, thequality of the films were so high that the university sent them to filmfestivals and they ended up being selected to make part of a special screeningin the 2 ANNA’S Film Festival in Riga.
Who can I contact to talk about the course if I have any doubts?
Spoiler:
Show
You can always contact the Course Leader.

Mr.David Heinemann on [email protected]
Or just leave me a message!
TshanBahar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Rubén,

Very excited to start the course in September. Couple of questions for you!

Are there any student grants we can apply for?

Which Universities can we study abroad in and what is your opinion on it?

I'll probably have more but that's it for now!

Thank you,

Tashan
Will Ferris
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Ruben,

I've recently been given a conditional offer to study BA Film at Middlesex, and I'm hoping to make it to one of the applicant open days in the future. I've spotted that there is one on the 19th March, but I'm unable to attend due to another commitment. Is there any chance that there are other applicant days planned this year?

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for keeping us all up to date!

Thanks,
Will

(Original post by Ruben at MDX)
Heellooo everyone!!

My name is Ruben and I'm a recent graduate from the BA Film course at Middlesex!

I'm also the Course Ambassador for the Film, Television, Visual Effects and Gaming Courses, and I'm here to welcome any questions you have regarding the courses or the Media department.I'll try to answer every question as soon as possible!
All the BesT

Ruben Duarte
DJDylan96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Heyyy, I've got a few questions that might be the difference maker when it comes to deciding which uni offer to accept...

- as long as I pass the course for Television Production (and I am starting on a foundation year), is there a Masters degree option?
- Is it possible to get involved in directing and/or managing programming and/or broadcast presenting on radio or TV through studying Television Production?
- If I decide in the second year that the University is not for me, is there a possibility of myself transferring to a different University?
- In year 2, if i decide the course is not exactly what I am after, can I change course in the same department?... such as moving onto Journalism and/or communications?

Dylan Sandhu
Ruben at MDX
Rep:
?
Hey Dylan thanks for the questions.

-So, we do not have an MA in TvP here at uni, the Master degree that is more relevant to our course Is an MA in Media Management. Here are the details: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/postgra...dia-management.

-We have a lot of different programs, activities happening, some of them include hosting tv shows/talks, working with journalism students, and then obviously we have the university societies which will allow you to use the radio studio, etc...

-There is always the opportunity to transfer university, if you think by the end of first year Middlesex is not for you, wish I doubt, were really friendly in here

-Changing course is alway an option, still it needs to be for something relevant to the course, so, inside the subject, there would be no point in going from TVP to Ba Internation Politics.

If you have any more questions let me know

Best

Ruben Duarte
Dariush1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Ruben!

I'm Dariush, we met on the Saturday open day on 13th February and also the interview. I missed my applicant day and my chance to meet The Head of Department, James Martin Charleton. So is it possible if there is another applicant day?

Thanks!
Artur G.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,I am starting to study from October this year at our university course of computer science but after classes I also interested about the video production so I thought if there are extra-curricular activities with this topics.

Artur
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.56%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.72%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.01%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.7%

Watched Threads