Matt1711
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im still studying at A-Levels with one of my university options being University of Hull. I like the idea of getting an apartment instead of student accommodation to give myself more freedom but its a 15 min drive from the uni itself (I can drive) do you think it would be a good idea and if so do you think people would want to share the price with me?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Matt1711)
Im still studying at A-Levels with one of my university options being University of Hull. I like the idea of getting an apartment instead of student accommodation to give myself more freedom but its a 15 min drive from the uni itself (I can drive) do you think it would be a good idea and if so do you think people would want to share the price with me?
If you search for 'student accommodation in Hull' you would find flats or a house to rent and share with 2nd or 3rd yr students at Hull. Whether its a good thing or not depends entirely on your purpose of doing so.

You should read here to see some advantages and disadvantages.
jrobbo56
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Lawns is a very good place to be, it is essentially apartments like you want and you live in your own space, one per room. You will meet friends quite easily, where you may feel more separated if you live on your own or with a few people in an apartment. I'd really recommend it as it is the proper 'University experience'. Then in the second year you will have people to live with that you already know and like, living with random people means you could really hate someone, whereas if you live in the Lawns for a year you'll know who to live with. The 15min drive is pointless too, as you get a free bus pass and it takes like 20min on the bus. Also you get catered for in most of the halls, I'd recommend Ferens if you want to meet people (it's also the cheapest ;D)
abbievictoria
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you're probably in the same situation as me at Hull - I want to be self catered but hated the self catered accommodation at the uni. I would go for private housing, you will still be able to make friends!

Posted from TSR Mobile
vegaknightdream
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Matt1711)
In my opinion living on your own (if that is what you intend) may be a little lonely. However saying that I personally wouldn't choose to stay in Halls again. I'm in first year and some of the people who live in my block are very much intolerable. I have met people I like living with and get on with, but there are those who go out drinking every night and make a lot of noise. The kitchens can get very untidy and unclean. It depends what you're like as a person, if you don't mind living with strangers who you may or may not get on with then it's really your call. If you get an apartment the price can vary, I currently pay £112 (aprox) per week at the lawns, but that is for one meal included each day (semi-catered) but the food isn't very good. I'm house sharing next year and that's £81 with bills included per week. If you want to concentrate on your studies and do your own thing I would get an apartment, if you are coming to uni for a laugh and the nightlife and intend to drop out after first year stay in Halls. This is just in my opinion from the first semester and a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (108)
55.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads