Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As they are changing the AS and A2 syllabus next year, do you think that they have purposefully made this year's exams harder in order to justify the change.
    I have done both P4 and P2 this summer so far and I felt they were the hardest papers of their kind that I have seen

ReputationRep:
    is it only edexcel who r making the syllabus? (i mean C1 C2 ..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    is it only edexcel who r making the syllabus? (i mean C1 C2 ..)
    in edexcel pure maths they are going to make it easier the sylabus i mean
    they are totally getting rid of one book, you can choose, or your school, out of p5 and p6.
    p1, p2 and p3 will be split up between p1-4
    p4 will become p5, and p5 or 6 whichever one you choose will be the p6
    lucky !!
    if anything they should make it easier on us coz we were never given the chance to take the easier exam
    they dont need to justfy the change, its decided its going to be made!
    i hope!
    anyway this is edexcel by the way

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand all exams boards are having to change in accordance with government guideines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jar)
    From what I understand all exams boards are having to change in accordance with government guideines
    thats good, i havent heard that, i know just about the edexcel, but then again in cyprus we can only do edexcel and CIE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    in edexcel pure maths they are going to make it easier the sylabus i mean
    they are totally getting rid of one book, you can choose, or your school, out of p5 and p6.
    p1, p2 and p3 will be split up between p1-4
    p4 will become p5, and p5 or 6 whichever one you choose will be the p6
    lucky !!
    if anything they should make it easier on us coz we were never given the chance to take the easier exam
    they dont need to justfy the change, its decided its going to be made!
    i hope!
    anyway this is edexcel by the way
    I think that is wrong.

They are splitting P1-P3 into C1-C4, which will only displace one application module. Secondly, for further maths, you will still be doing P4-P6, but they are now called FP1-FP3. The only difference is you'll be doing one less application in single maths... I'm pretty sure about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I think that is wrong.

They are splitting P1-P3 into C1-C4, which will only displace one application module. Secondly, for further maths, you will still be doing P4-P6, but they are now called FP1-FP3. The only difference is you'll be doing one fewer application in single maths... I'm pretty sure about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I think that is wrong.

They are splitting P1-P3 into C1-C4, which will only displace one application module. Secondly, for further maths, you will still be doing P4-P6, but they are now called FP1-FP3. The only difference is you'll be doing one less application in single maths... I'm pretty sure about this.
    im talking about pure maths

ReputationRep:
    Would that really be in their interests? In years to come when the inevitable debate comes that they made exams easier, they're probably not going to want to amplify the disparity between this year's and next year's.

ReputationRep:
    Actually she's right...

For A-Level pure maths (the 1 I'm currently doing) with the old syllabus people had to do P1-P6

But with the new syllabus the whole a-level can be completed with only 6 modules from C1-C4 & FP1,2,3.

And edexcel said that C1-C4 and FP1 are compulsory, so the students may choose between FP2 or FP3 which are P5 & P6 on the old syllabus....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Actually she's right...

For A-Level pure maths (the 1 I'm currently doing) with the old syllabus people had to do P1-P6

But with the new syllabus the whole a-level can be completed with only 6 modules from C1-C4 & FP1,2,3.

And edexcel said that C1-C4 and FP1 are compulsory, so the students may choose between FP2 or FP3 which are P5 & P6 on the old syllabus....
    Ok, I guess that makes sense.. but for further maths, how many applications will you need to do, if you are only taking FP1 and FP2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Actually she's right...

yeey! someone agrees with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    yeey! someone agrees with me!
    Yes, it's disgraceful.

You two are the only other people that I've come across that do the single Pure Mathematics A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Yes, it's disgraceful.

You two are the only other people that I've come across that do the single Pure Mathematics A-level.
    i have no choise! my school only offers pure maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Ok, I guess that makes sense.. but for further maths, how many applications will you need to do, if you are only taking FP1 and FP2?
    For further maths A-level you must take FP1 and one of FP2 or FP3 + four application units.

But you may take FP1,FP2 & FP3 and 3 application units...So you'll take 1 unit less again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Yes, it's disgraceful.

I find it much better than normal maths...It is more enjoyable than statistics and less hard than mechanics...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.