How do I know which element marked on this graph is a halogen?

Watch
Adorable98
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The answer is B), but how was I supposed to know that?
Attached files
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adorable98)
Have you not studied what happens to first IE as you go from left to right across a period?
rxns_00
Report 5 years ago
Going from left to right the proton number increases, so therefore the charge of the nucleus increases while shielding stays relatively the same

What do you think happens to the electrostatic force between the nucleus and outer electors as the charge increases? And so what happens to IE? And so when does IE in a period is at its peak?

It's self explanatory from there
Adorable98
(Original post by TeachChemistry)
Have you not studied what happens to first IE as you go from left to right across a period?
Yes, I have.
I'm aware that there must be 2 drops in the graph, one between groups 2 and 3 and the other between group 5 and 6.

But, a halogen is in group 7, so if B is a halogen how come there's a drop after group 7 according to this graph?!
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I have.
I'm aware that there must be 2 drops in the graph, one between groups 2 and 3 and the other between group 5 and 6.

But, a halogen is in group 7, so if B is a halogen how come there's a drop after group 7 according to this graph?!
After B the IE goes up as the next element would be a noble gas. THEN there is a large drop as a new period starts.
Adorable98
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
Going from left to right the proton number increases, so therefore the charge of the nucleus increases while shielding stays relatively the same

What do you think happens to the electrostatic force between the nucleus and outer electors as the charge increases? And so what happens to IE? And so when does IE in a period is at its peak?

It's self explanatory from there
Yeaah, i know that as you go across the period, atomic radius decreases and the nuclear charge also increases, so more protons, so a greater attraction.

Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeaah, i know that as you go across the period, atomic radius decreases and the nuclear charge also increases, so more protons, so a greater attraction.

The peak in the graph is group 8. The drop happens at Group 1 of the next line, after group 8
rxns_00
Report 5 years ago

B isn't at the peak though. B is the element just before the peak.

The peak is at a noble gas, group 0, then there's a drop look closely at the graph. You'll see the cross at the peak, that's the mark for the group 0
Adorable98
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
B isn't at the peak though. B is the element just before the peak.

The peak is at a noble gas, group 0, then there's a drop look closely at the graph. You'll see the cross at the peak, that's the mark for the group 0
(Original post by Another)
The peak in the graph is group 8. The drop happens at Group 1 of the next line, after group 8
(Original post by TeachChemistry)
After B the IE goes up as the next element would be a noble gas. THEN there is a large drop as a new period starts.
I honestly just realised that I could've just counted the dots on the line graph!! :facepalm:

Anyway, thanks all of you!!!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I honestly just realised that I could've just counted the dots on the line graph!! :facepalm:

Anyway, thanks all of you!!!
Not necessarily as the graph may be given from any element at the start.
Adorable98
(Original post by charco)
Not necessarily as the graph may be given from any element at the start.
Really?!:zomg:
So the only thing I should do is look at the no. of drops?!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really?!:zomg:
So the only thing I should do is look at the no. of drops?!
Look for the big and small inflexions
Adorable98
(Original post by charco)
Look for the big and small inflexions
I see.. thanks once again!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56%
I don't have everything I need (253)
44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise