The Student Room Group

Can I still get predicted an A* in maths and further maths?

I am in Year 12 doing maths and further maths a level. I will be doing the following units this year: c1,c2,c3,m1,m2,s1,s2. So far I have done really badly in all my s2 tests (I got 44% in the mock exam and less than 70% in all the end of unit tests except two) but i have got 90% or more in all my C1 and C2 tests and around 80% in my m1 tests.
But in S1, i never really understood anything and spent a lot of time catching up.

But I understand everything now and i feel I could get 85% and more in all my public maths exams this year. So if I do really well in all maths exams (around 95%) will I be able to get predicted an A* in maths and further maths? Or at least in A in further maths? Because I am usually A* standard at maths (not to brag).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hoping4Astars
I will be doing the following units this year: c1,c2,c3,m1,m2,s1,s2. So far I have done really badly in all my s2 tests (I got 44% in the mock exam and less than 70% in all the other exams) but i have got 90% or more in all my C1 and C2 tests and around 80% in my m1 tests.
But in S1, i never really understood anything so I spend so much time trying to catch up with the class.

But I understand everything now and i feel I could get 85% and more in all my public maths exams this year. So if I do really well in all maths exams (around 95%) will I be able to get predicted an A* in maths and further maths? Or at least in A in further maths? Because I am usually A* standard at maths (not to brag).

Being predicted an A* in maths overall is quite difficult. I achieved more than 90% overall in my AS Maths exams and predicted an A*, whilst another person in my year achieved higher than I did and is predicted a B. It isn't just down to academic ability, but also your attitude to the subject and determination to do well.

My teacher was hesitant to award A* maths predictions this year; her reasoning is that getting a 90% average on C3 and C4 is not too predictable depending on UMS weightings and questions that come up in the exam; there is a luck element to it.

If you do achieve 80% - 90% however, discuss with your teachers about your predicted grades. This should be reasonable to allow them to predict you an A or an A* in maths or further maths.

Hope this helps :]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dapperblook22
Being predicted an A* in maths overall is quite difficult. I achieved more than 90% overall in my AS Maths exams and predicted an A*, whilst another person in my year achieved higher than I did and is predicted a B. It isn't just down to academic ability, but also your attitude to the subject and determination to do well.

My teacher was hesitant to award A* maths predictions this year; her reasoning is that getting a 90% average on C3 and C4 is not too predictable depending on UMS weightings and questions that come up in the exam; there is a luck element to it.

If you do achieve 80% - 90% however, discuss with your teachers about your predicted grades. This should be reasonable to allow them to predict you an A or an A* in maths or further maths.

Hope this helps :]

Thanks. So if I get 90% in all of my future tests and in my AS exams this year will i have a good chance of being predicted A*? In my school nearly half of the class gets predicted A* and most of them achieve it in the real a level.
Original post by hoping4Astars
Thanks. So if I get 90% in all of my future tests and in my AS exams this year will i have a good chance of being predicted A*? In my school nearly half of the class gets predicted A* and most of them achieve it in the real a level.

I would assume so, just keep working at it and ask your teachers about your progress and whether it will help to up your predicted grade :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest