Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

where can i get a saturday job? i have my national insurance card and im 16 in september! please help i really need a job for some money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    where can i get a saturday job? i have my national insurance card and im 16 in september! please help i really need a job for some money!
    You could buy a paper and apply for one.

Just a thought.

Rather silly, really.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I did.

I made a CV and printed off about 10 copies then I went into my local town and went from shop to shop asking "Are you looking for part-time staff?"

If they said No not right now or No but maybe at Christmas, I left a CV.
    If they said No then they didn't get a CV.
    I didn't, however, get a single yes and handed out all of my copies.

I found a job at my local cinema (well, I have to take 2 buses to get there) and applied and I'm still waiting.

What are you doing for the summer hols? I know you'll probably think "Oh my god she's mad" but have you thought about working in a charity shop like Oxfam. You don't get paid but you gain experience which employers will make snap you up.

Also, if you get offer a job with £3.00+ per hour, bite their hand off and accept. As you are under 18, you are reguarded as "cheap labour" because their is no set min. wage.

EDIT - All this talk about Oxford must be going to my head seeing that there is no such charity shop as Oxford! Oxfam yes, Oxford no.

i did exactly the same thing, maybe went to 20 different stores over 3 locations, mainly high street stores, i haven't heard from a single store, at least they could of sended a rejection letter, but i guess they couldn't even be bothered to do that......blahhh

ReputationRep:
    you dont need to be 16 to work although you wont get the minimum wage, which is a bit of a bummer

Most companies have a policy of not employing under 16s which is really harsh on post GCSE people with summer birthdays (even harsher for school leavers!) This isnt the case for you though I guess, are you just going into year 11 and one of the "old" ones in the year? Your best bet is probably to aim for a weekend job after you get your 16th birthday. Sainsbury's and BHS do actually employ under 16s, and sometimes little cafes and hairdressers and so on do too.

ReputationRep:
    If u get really desperate you could get a job at a fast food restaurant. They aren't that fussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    If u get really desperate you could get a job at a fast food restaurant. They aren't that fussy.
    Be perpared for long hours...some fast foods around my area don't close until 12pm and then they have to clean up and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr.black)
    you dont need to be 16 to work although you wont get the minimum wage, which is a bit of a bummer

the minimum wage does not apply untill your 18th birthday (20 days away whoooo)

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Tesco, Brantano's, Next, Mcdonalds, Novotel will all give post GCSE students jobs. Just have to get there at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    you could always try getting some work experience for your future job (if you want to g to uni this will look good on your ucas form) or volunteer in a charity shop. By the time you are 16 you'll have a better chance of getting a relatively decent saturday job cos of the experience you will have gained. Not many places will take you at 15. I know people that were working loads and only got £2 and hour when they were under 16.

does ne 1 kno if i can get a job at 14?
    u wont belive this but i cant find en fin 2 do (with school, hw and loads of other stuff) so i thought i could make some dosh, but i dnu were to go and wa to do, im not exacly sure i can do anyfing but the paperround at my age 8-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chipp)
    does ne 1 kno if i can get a job at 14?
    u wont belive this but i cant find en fin 2 do (with school, hw and loads of other stuff) so i thought i could make some dosh, but i dnu were to go and wa to do, im not exacly sure i can do anyfing but the paperround at my age 8-(
    No its highly unlikely that you will get a job at 14, other than a paper round. My brother has a paper round - he does it with a local shop who pay him about £14 a week (thats for 6 days work). It only takes him about half an hour each morning, and he delivers teh national newspapers. Usually local papers or free papers won't pay you that much and you will have to deliver more.

Once you are 16 you should find that most employers will take you on (however you will have to learn how to spell properly when you write your application forms... ).

ReputationRep:
    Out of all the high street shops, I think Marks and Spencers pays the best if you're under 16. It starts off about the same as everywhere else but after about 3 months your pay goes up to about £4.20 p/hour. Not great, but better than most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Out of all the high street shops, I think Marks and Spencers pays the best if you're under 16. It starts off about the same as everywhere else but after about 3 months your pay goes up to about £4.20 p/hour. Not great, but better than most places.
    I started at Joh Lewis when I was only just 16 and got £4.08, and then after 3 months it went up to £4.38, but that was partly because I was a good worker!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I started at Joh Lewis when I was only just 16 and got £4.08, and then after 3 months it went up to £4.38, but that was partly because I was a good worker!!!
    Damn, I was only on £4.47 when I was 18 working at Focus. I didn't do any work while I was there though, so I suppose it was a fair rate of pay.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Damn, I was only on £4.47 when I was 18 working at Focus. I didn't do any work while I was there though, so I suppose it was a fair rate of pay.. :rolleyes:
    That is probably most fair since I had to work (or rather stand on a fitting room for hours)!!! When I turned 18 my pay went up to £5 which was pretty darn good I thought.

ReputationRep:
    try johnlewis, i got a job there when i was 16, started at £4.00p/h, which for a 16 year old isnt too bad i think!

But yeah i just went handing out cv's too everyone, got a few letters of rejection, others said they will keep me on file, but never heard anything from them. But i dont mind cos johnlewis is kinda goood!

Best of luck in finding a job!

Rahul

try local supermarkets. Budgens was the only place i applied to and within a week i was offered the job. Its good cos its only a 5 min walk from my house. Im only 16 and i get 4.39 an hour (5.39 on sundays) which is good money for under 16s

ReputationRep:
    i did exactly the same thing, maybe went to 20 different stores over 3 locations, mainly high street stores, i haven't heard from a single store, at least they could of sended a rejection letter, but i guess they couldn't even be bothered to do that......blahhh
    That's not a good way to do it, half the time the muppets behind the desk don't bother passing on your CV. Only apply to places explicitly looking for jobs - use a newspaper or a site like this: http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk --> Jobs. Like yourself, sending my CV around HMV, Virgin, Gap, FCUK etc did nothing as they weren't recruiting and it'd just be another piece of paper in their pile. Applying to places from that DailyInfo page got me 3 job offers on the same day.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.