saturday job Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cathie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
County council palces pay well because they have to pay the min wage for c/c. I work at a library 9-4 on saturdays, am 17 and get £5.33 an hour. If I do overtime during they week I get time & a half on saturday.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
the minimum wage does not apply untill your 18th birthday (20 days away whoooo)

love Katy ***
age 21 actually i think
Cathie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is a min wage at 18, I dont' know but it may go up agina at 21.
Jimothy
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cathie)
There is a min wage at 18, I dont' know but it may go up agina at 21.
no it doesn't. If only.
bruceleemk2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
jus go 2 a restaurant.any1 who is curtious and friendly shud b able to get a job in a restaurant this time of the year (nearing christmas) wit no problem!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jimothy)
no it doesn't. If only.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3152358.stm

18-21 = £3.60
21+ = £4.50
alice
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i did the same as u and i got a job at a pub then straight after i left that job i got a phone call from a coffee shop i aplied to work in at the begginnin of the year!lol gd luk dont giv up!
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Currys-the electronics store, my friend works there and he is on £5.50-£6.00 an hour (cant remember exactly) hes 17 so its a great wage for his age.

never work in sainsburys is my advice lol, guess where i work.

cinemas can be buggers too, they might need you to work late nights, ie after midnight/early hours which arent good.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
Currys-the electronics store, my friend works there and he is on £5.50-£6.00 an hour (cant remember exactly) hes 17 so its a great wage for his age.

never work in sainsburys is my advice lol, guess where i work.

cinemas can be buggers too, they might need you to work late nights, ie after midnight/early hours which arent good.
well most bars will expect u to work till 11pm, and then 1hour and so to clean up the mess and count up etc...
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
well most bars will expect u to work till 11pm, and then 1hour and so to clean up the mess and count up etc...
true true. really its down to what type of work you want. my friend worked at a cinema for a while. they asked her to work untill two in the morning on a sat nite/sun morn. she told them to bugger off quite rightly
Luke howell
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
So if you havent got to be 16 how old do u have to be nd where is this as im 14 and lokin for a job

(Original post by mr.black)
you dont need to be 16 to work although you wont get the minimum wage, which is a bit of a bummer
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think most jobs require u to be over 16, but there are some jobs in restaurants (washing up mainly) where u can work under 16. But i think it's probably only washing up, nothing any good...and they could pay you anything they wanted, ie £2 an hour or something pathetic.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
where can i get a saturday job? i have my national insurance card and im 16 in september! please help i really need a job for some money!
Please do me a favour, and do NOT under ANY circumstances get a job at ICELAND FROZEN FOODS PLC or the BIG FOOD COMPANY.
Thanks
Fred
stress out
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gest)
Most companies have a policy of not employing under 16s which is really harsh on post GCSE people with summer birthdays (even harsher for school leavers!) This isnt the case for you though I guess, are you just going into year 11 and one of the "old" ones in the year? Your best bet is probably to aim for a weekend job after you get your 16th birthday. Sainsbury's and BHS do actually employ under 16s, and sometimes little cafes and hairdressers and so on do too.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
age 21 actually i think
if i know, and you think....then why question.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
if i know, and you think....then why question.
ooooooh!
Nicci_babe
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It depends what is near you i work in my local super market but ask look at staff wanted signs :mad:
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mr.black)
you dont need to be 16 to work although you wont get the minimum wage, which is a bit of a bummer
Minimum wage doesnt apply to anyone under 18

There is a band for 18-21 and another band for 21+

You need a work permit from your school if you want a job under 16 years old.
mazzy2y
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
This is what I did.

I made a CV and printed off about 10 copies then I went into my local town and went from shop to shop asking "Are you looking for part-time staff?"
hi there my name is maria, i really want a job as a hairdresser but im only 14 so what shall i do.
If they said No not right now or No but maybe at Christmas, I left a CV.
If they said No then they didn't get a CV.
I didn't, however, get a single yes and handed out all of my copies.

I found a job at my local cinema (well, I have to take 2 buses to get there) and applied and I'm still waiting.

What are you doing for the summer hols? I know you'll probably think "Oh my god she's mad" but have you thought about working in a charity shop like Oxfam. You don't get paid but you gain experience which employers will make snap you up.

Also, if you get offer a job with £3.00+ per hour, bite their hand off and accept. As you are under 18, you are reguarded as "cheap labour" because their is no set min. wage.

EDIT - All this talk about Oxford must be going to my head seeing that there is no such charity shop as Oxford! Oxfam yes, Oxford no.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do not under any circumstance work at fast food restaurants as they always try to get you to work dodgy hours and they don't actually pay u what they said they would. Cos u hav to take breaks and stuff and they take htat off. B careful if you apply to like sainsbury's my m8 got told he was overqualified
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads