The Student Room Group

Books for speech and Language therapy

Hi :smile:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on books to read regarding a career in speech and language therapy.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Becky.May
Hi :smile:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on books to read regarding a career in speech and language therapy.
Thank you :smile:

"A Career in Speech and Language Therapy" by Janet Wright and Myra Kersner is a good general guide. Maybe simple brief introductions to linguistics and phonetics (would recommend leaving serious study in these areas until you start uni).

Also for general interest/awareness maybe look at Reasons Why I Jump and some books like the Butterfly Effect or similar.

Where are you applying to, out of interest?
Reply 2
Thank you so much, I will look into these books! I have got an interview at Sheffield and Newcastle in a couple of weeks. Are you an SLT student or are you applying as well?
Thanks again for the reply ☺️
Thank you so much, I will look into these books! I have got an interview at Sheffield and Newcastle in a couple of weeks. Are you an SLT student or are you applying as well?
Thanks again for the reply ☺️

Sorry for late reply - didn't realise you had seen my post.

I am in my second year at MMU.

Good luck for your interviews - I applied to Sheffield but not Newcastle (I didn't do biology at A level which Newcastle required at the time). I also applied to UofM and Leeds (and MMU of course). In truth Sheffield was my least favourite but others loved it.

Sure you will be fine and happy reading :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AmyPilot
Sorry for late reply - didn't realise you had seen my post.

I am in my second year at MMU.

Good luck for your interviews - I applied to Sheffield but not Newcastle (I didn't do biology at A level which Newcastle required at the time). I also applied to UofM and Leeds (and MMU of course). In truth Sheffield was my least favourite but others loved it.

Sure you will be fine and happy reading :smile:

Is there any advice you would recommend for the interview? I am already really nervous and have started writing practice questions.
Is there any advice you would recommend for the interview? I am already really nervous and have started writing practice questions.

That's a difficult question as I think most unis appear to have changed their interviews a lot - all the interviews I attended consisted of a written "test". Some included a brief face to face meeting with a service user or such like and some had small group activities. None were too traumatic so please don't worry! Believe me no one is as quiet and shy as me :colondollar:

I really do recommend the Career as an SLT book and checking out websites like Health Care Professional Council, Speech Therapists Association and the NHS Careers which will help understand the role more fully (sorry if this is too obvious),

Just try to stay calm and enjoy it - it's a great opportunity to get a real feel for the uni to see if it's a place you want to be - as I said earlier it was at the interview that I got the feeling Sheffield wouldn't have been right for me whereas at the other interviews I came out thinking yes I can see myself being ok here.

Good luck - look forward to seeing you post when the offers come in!
Reply 6
Original post by AmyPilot
That's a difficult question as I think most unis appear to have changed their interviews a lot - all the interviews I attended consisted of a written "test". Some included a brief face to face meeting with a service user or such like and some had small group activities. None were too traumatic so please don't worry! Believe me no one is as quiet and shy as me :colondollar:

I really do recommend the Career as an SLT book and checking out websites like Health Care Professional Council, Speech Therapists Association and the NHS Careers which will help understand the role more fully (sorry if this is too obvious),

Just try to stay calm and enjoy it - it's a great opportunity to get a real feel for the uni to see if it's a place you want to be - as I said earlier it was at the interview that I got the feeling Sheffield wouldn't have been right for me whereas at the other interviews I came out thinking yes I can see myself being ok here.

Good luck - look forward to seeing you post when the offers come in!

I can't thank you enough! All that advice is really useful and I will make sure I have a look at it all. The interview process sounds slightly similar to what you had and its assuring that it's not too traumatic! I will keep you updated, I just have my fingers crossed that I can get an offer. The course is so competitive that it scares me thinking about how many brilliant applicants are out there😳!
Thanks again for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest